Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Will Boris' win cause NI & Scotland to leave?

Will Boris' win cause NI & Scotland to leave?

Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Boris' win cause NI & Scotland to leave?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
​​​​​​I'm a bit surprised that no journalist or politician has mentioned the "modifications" to the WA, and questioned how that might affect the Jan 31 "leave" date. After all, it's not what the EU signed up to.

What am I missing?
Not mentioned in this BBC article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51214761

Instead it says:

The European Parliament will meet on 29 January to debate the agreement, which sets out the terms of the UK's "divorce" settlement with the EU, the rights of EU nationals resident in the UK and British expats on the continent and arrangements for Northern Ireland.Its ratification is expected to prove a formality.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:02 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

But Boris removed much of that. So it's a different agreement. Not?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 5:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You mean it's not all like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRtjQHTnKVY
That's too black and white. Perhaps you saw Tom Jones or Harry Secombe in colour?
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:24 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​I'm a bit surprised that no journalist or politician has mentioned the "modifications" to the WA, and questioned how that might affect the Jan 31 "leave" date. After all, it's not what the EU signed up to.

What am I missing?
I may well be wrong and I'll happily stand corrected but are the modifications not solely to the UK's side of things?

I don't think there are any alterations proposed to either the legal document or the political statement as agreed between the UK and the EU, but with the difficulty in getting the nod from the previous parliament, various "concessions" were made in the hope of sugaring the pill enough to get the votes required. Those were purely and simply commitments to parliament on various fronts on the part of the UK government and not anything affecting what's contained in the WA itself. Now there's a thumping Tory majority, they're no longer required and can be unceremoniously dumped.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:30 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, Eric!

You may be right. But my confusion is that it appears to be widely reported that the WA was changed, so that's essentially a different agreement, which one would expect would require rescrutinisation by the other party. No guarantee that it would be accepted.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:41 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

..it appears to be widely reported that the WA was changed...
Have you any examples?
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:53 am
Reasonable Bitch

No. I think it was unclear in the press what documents exactly had been rewritten, which leads to confusion over whether the WA had been altered.

Anyway, it's a done deal, so moot point.

Brexit officially signed off by EU President as she puts pen to UK's withdrawal deal

Old Jan 24th 2020, 9:04 am
Who - me?

I don't think it's done until the EU parliament ratifies it, is it?

Maybe the confusion re amendments is due to the proliferation of the terms containing the words "withdrawal agreement" - the UK parliament is debating the amended Withdrawal Agreement Bill, which isn't the same thing as The Withdrawal Agreement.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

Its sort of like the headlines a few months ago announcing President Trump had been impeached.

'Impeached' and 'withdrawl agreement' can be moulded to mean various things evidently. I think word meanings are flexible Depending on which journalist is writing and which spin they want to portray.

Last edited by tumbleweedly; Jan 24th 2020 at 9:44 am. Reason: improper use of a word
Old Jan 24th 2020, 10:41 am
Reasonable Bitch

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Technically, no, of course. But it was the membership represented in Parliament that agreed to it in the first place, so if it remains "unaltered" then it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be ratified.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 12:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

Maybe the confusion re amendments is due to the proliferation of the terms containing the words "withdrawal agreement" - the UK parliament is debating the amended Withdrawal Agreement Bill, which isn't the same thing as The Withdrawal Agreement.
Thanks God you're back. I had visions of you being held somewhere in an orange jump suit. Nobody looks good in orange.