Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Why do we need to hang on to NI, anyhow?

Why do we need to hang on to NI, anyhow?

Old Mar 18th 2019, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do we need to hang on to NI, anyhow?

Originally Posted by vinegarboy View Post
It's past time to leave NI go, I think. No deafeningly good reasons to hang on to it on here, so far. And too much inbreeding can't have been good for them.
You're assuming that the Irish Republic would want N.I in the first place.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Was there a second Baby Jesus I don't know about?

He had a twin! the one they don't talk about
Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Well the UK has abandoned it's British Ex-pats ,why not dump NI... It can then go the full mile and ditch Gib ... None of us are any use to them anymore .
Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:32 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
Majority of Irish people would like to see a united Ireland in their lifetime

That aside, remember, NI wanted to remain in the EU, and Ireland of today certainly isn't the same one of 1970.

Think about it. It would be relatively easy. A referendum, if won, following a fight with England about it... Ultimately reunifies, instantly remains in the EU (no need to reapply for EU membership) and instantly solves the border issue, leaving England to realise the isolation it so badly wants.

Relatively easy. Scotland, on the other hand, would have a much bigger hill to climb. Must reapply for EU membership, and there's that nasty border issue again. But if England continues to screw this up, even Scotland might be motivated to go, despite the mess it would cause. Especially if NI did.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 18th 2019 at 8:45 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Was there a second Baby Jesus I don't know about?
It was actually a sad allusion to all of the young male victims of RC priests that are now becoming known about. I was myself sexually attacked by an RC priest, but it was a very long time ago, & I never heard what if anything happened after I'd reported it.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:13 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It's past time to leave NI go, I think. No deafeningly good reasons to hang on to it on here, so far. And too much inbreeding can't have been good for them.
A few questions...

Have you ever lived in NI?
Have very close friends there?
Asked your questions directly of any Irish (NI or Eire) citizen/resident?

On what are you basing your views?
Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
Yes, indeed; I wonder what the bookmakers' odds on that would be...
Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
A few questions...

Have you ever lived in NI?
Have very close friends there?
Asked your questions directly of any Irish (NI or Eire) citizen/resident?

On what are you basing your views?
All great questions, mais ou sont les raisons?
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:06 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the otherwise-extinction of NI-based/landed aristocrats' seats in the HoL, why can't we let go of NI?
Did you also forget that the DUP were propping up May's government with her razor thin majority after the last election as well?

Though it's an interesting question right enough, for this former unionist-turned-neutral post-Brexit. Especially since the current Secretary of State for Northern Ireland doesn't appear to know her arse from her elbow. Perhaps she should call a border poll per the GFA (if the Tories even give a shit about that anymore, which the latest border discussions prove they don't).

We really need maclaim here for the ROI perspective, but other than people living in cities like Galway, Cork or Limerick being rightly concerned about an increased focus on the Dublin-Belfast corridor post unification, I can't think of any reason why the majority of Irish people wouldn't want to see the island reunited again. I am no longer opposed to it myself, and more people from a Protestant-Unionist background in NI are starting to come around to the idea as well.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Did you also forget that the DUP were propping up May's government with her razor thin majority after the last election as well?

Though it's an interesting question right enough, for this former unionist-turned-neutral post-Brexit. Especially since the current Secretary of State for Northern Ireland doesn't appear to know her arse from her elbow. Perhaps she should call a border poll per the GFA (if the Tories even give a shit about that anymore, which the latest border discussions prove they don't).

We really need maclaim here for the ROI perspective, but other than people living in cities like Galway, Cork or Limerick being rightly concerned about an increased focus on the Dublin-Belfast corridor post unification, I can't think of any reason why the majority of Irish people wouldn't want to see the island reunited again. I am no longer opposed to it myself, and more people from a Protestant-Unionist background in NI are starting to come around to the idea as well.
Good to hear it, mate. The NI folk would then get instant dual UK-EU citizenship, as well as scads of $ investment from the U.S., which has a very soft spot for the vision of a reunified Ireland. NI could then, alone of us Brits, have its cake & eat it too, after generations of struggle & strife & stress. I was misled as an English child growing up in Liverpool when I was told that we hung onto NI in order to save you guys from poverty, disease, & parasites.

Last edited by vinegarboy; Mar 18th 2019 at 3:16 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:24 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear it, mate. The NI folk would then get instant dual UK-EU citizenship, as well as scads of $ investment from the U.S., which has a very soft spot for the vision of a reunified Ireland. NI could then, alone of us Brits, have its cake & eat it too, after generations of struggle & strife & stress. I was misled as an English child growing up in Liverpool when I was told that we hung onto NI in order to save you guys from poverty, disease, & parasites.
Anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to an Irish passport, so everyone in NI who was born there (some rules apply based on changes to the law after the GFA, I think) could have dual UK-Irish citizenship now and enjoy the benefits of an EU passport post-Brexit even without reunification.

Brexshit should, of course, be binned, but I do think if it ever does happen, you'll see increased support for reunification even among more unionists/Protestants than now.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to an Irish passport, so everyone in NI who was born there (some rules apply based on changes to the law after the GFA, I think) could have dual UK-Irish citizenship now and enjoy the benefits of an EU passport post-Brexit even without reunification.

Brexshit should, of course, be binned, but I do think if it ever does happen, you'll see increased support for reunification even among more unionists/Protestants than now.
I'm hopeful that 'Brexit' will die somehow, & that the nutters who got us into this mess will crawl off & spend the rest of their pathetic lives as whining barflies in faraway places. Anyhow, when I visited Eire in 1995 I was stunned to see that the ROI wasn't the mudhole that I'd been told it was as a kid when I'd asked grown-ups why we couldn't leave NI go. As for the DUP propping-up Mrs. May's government, they could do us all a favour & pull-out this week.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 4:08 pm
Hail Satan!

I'm hopeful that 'Brexit' will die somehow, & that the nutters who got us into this mess will crawl off & spend the rest of their pathetic lives as whining barflies in faraway places. Anyhow, when I visited Eire in 1995 I was stunned to see that the ROI wasn't the mudhole that I'd been told it was as a kid when I'd asked grown-ups why we couldn't leave NI go. As for the DUP propping-up Mrs. May's government, they could do us all a favour & pull-out this week.
Given that you said you grew up in Liverpool, I'm surprised that you were as apparently misinformed about Ireland as you appear to have been, given the huge Irish presence there. Granted, ROI had its problems in the 80s and 90s, just read any Roddy Doyle novel for an insight in to pre-Celtic Tiger Dublin, and Northern Ireland's towns have been hit hard in various ways since the Troubles, but it's always been a lovely part of the world. Like Scotland, one of the jewels in the crown of the British Isles in general.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Given that you said you grew up in Liverpool, I'm surprised that you were as apparently misinformed about Ireland as you appear to have been, given the huge Irish presence there. Granted, ROI had its problems in the 80s and 90s, just read any Roddy Doyle novel for an insight in to pre-Celtic Tiger Dublin, and Northern Ireland's towns have been hit hard in various ways since the Troubles, but it's always been a lovely part of the world. Like Scotland, one of the jewels in the crown of the British Isles in general.
It sounds lovely. We left Liverpool when I was 9yo, but I'd had a playmate at primary school named "Paddy," hehe. When I was growing up, we were much more interested in football, Gary Glitter, Dr. Who, The Goodies, & skinheads than in questions of geography or politics, but we couldn't help hearing about the IRA & Vietnam on the TV news while Dad smoked his pipe & Mum made tea.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:08 pm
Hail Satan!

It sounds lovely. We left Liverpool when I was 9yo, but I'd had a playmate at primary school named "Paddy," hehe. When I was growing up, we were much more interested in football, Gary Glitter, Dr. Who, The Goodies, & skinheads than in questions of geography or politics, but we couldn't help hearing about the IRA & Vietnam on the TV news while Dad smoked his pipe & Mum made tea.
OK, sounds like you're maybe 10-15 years older than me or so, which might make more sense. It probably was a lot worse in the 70s than it was in the 80s and 90s, so that plus the exaggeration factor of the anti-Irish sentiment in England maybe gives better context.

They were still wrong, of course, but yeah.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.