Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Why did I take this job??????

Why did I take this job??????

Old Nov 6th 2020, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why did I take this job??????

So imagine you are the communications/PR spokesperson for Whole Foods Market (parent company Amazon) and now have to give a statement on what I believe will either be a very quick U turn on policy or a nightmare
U.S.-based Whole Foods Market says poppies aren't allowed under its recently updated uniform policy, which affects employees at its 14 locations across Canada.

But the company won't say why.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...pies-1.5791551

Needless to say the comments section is rather busy
Old Nov 6th 2020, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did I take this job??????

My guess, they use the same uniform policy for US and Canada, and possibly a spokesperson is in the US, and has no explanation because the poppy wearing isn't really a thing in the US like it is in Canada and elsewhere, and US does Veterans Day in November which is associated really with the poppy, as Veterans Day honors all living veterans. You will find some wear poppies at Memorial Day in May, but it's not really a public wearing thing for a couple weeks, just those going to a service typically wear them, but not to their job or around town.

Target made a similiar oops, when they wouldn't allow legion kids to sell poppies outside the store, that stemmed from the long standing Target policy not to allow any type of organization to solicit at the stores, which got them into hot water the first November they were here.

One reason Wal-Mart doesn't try to run its international stores from the US, and largely gives their international stores free reign to adapt and operate as they need to, and why Wal-Mart is so much different in Canada vs the US, they are not run by the same people and Wal-Mart adapts to the countries they operate in.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 6th 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2020, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Reading around a bit, it looks like the blanket ban on wearing things on their uniforms is stemming from BLM and political items US employees were wearing.

Old Nov 6th 2020, 9:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't take them long to see the light of day:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...owed-1.5793069