Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Who drives the outrage bus?

Who drives the outrage bus?

Old Sep 21st 2020, 2:10 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who drives the outrage bus?

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Three books evoke my childhood.
Our Island Story
Childrens Encyclopaedia
Kingsley’s Greek Myths and Fairytales
Arthur Mee? Read them end to end.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 3:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Three books evoke my childhood.
Our Island Story
Childrens Encyclopaedia
Kingsley’s Greek Myths and Fairytales
Yup. They were all at my house. My sister actually gave a copy of Our Island Story to the Little Lion when he was about 10. I think it was on a par with the Myths and Fairytales as far as he was concerned.

Old Sep 21st 2020, 5:42 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Do bulldozers come with whopping great spikes attached to the front? Just curious
How about using a combine harvester?
Old Sep 21st 2020, 7:57 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

The French however, well, they can take their onion, garlic and baguettes and.....
Make a nice soup.........Offal eaters trouble me their like the bottom feeders at the supermarket.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:25 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
Make a nice soup.........Offal eaters trouble me their like the bottom feeders at the supermarket.

Is this a good time for some awful puns?

Or would that be offal?
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I did one of those DNA swab things.

I'm an Anglo-Celtic-Viking. It's pretty ****ing cool when you think about it.
So by woke rules, your Celtic origin makes you an indigenous Briton. And if you are woke you should be very pissed off too! But wait, the wokes don't extend indigenous rights to those in Britain because those rights have instead been awarded mostly to those whose presence in the UK goes back as far as 75 years and are not white. And they are royally pissed off with the indigenous people it seems. Meanwhile, Britain is apparently so horrible and full of Deplorables that the boats keep coming....
Old Sep 21st 2020, 10:31 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
So by woke rules, your Celtic origin makes you an indigenous Briton. And if you are woke you should be very pissed off too! But wait, the wokes don't extend indigenous rights to those in Britain because those rights have instead been awarded mostly to those whose presence in the UK goes back as far as 75 years and are not white. And they are royally pissed off with the indigenous people it seems. Meanwhile, Britain is apparently so horrible and full of Deplorables that the boats keep coming....
Its a complex issue and the definitions tend to be used, misused, abused, and overlap even when used with knowledge and consideration. But I know very few people who would claim that anyone who may say, identify as English, would suddenly become Celtic, because they discover that their ancestors were from Ireland. Celtic might be said to be an ethnicity or a cultural group, but it is not something that one inherits. (and I am not eliminating that one may consider themselves as both Celtic and English)
I would think that from your point of view you would be on much more solid ground claiming that Anglos, Saxons, Jutes, Norse, and later the French Norse, or Normans, have been around long enough, and established long enough in most of the geographic area (and without any real challenge to that geographic area) that they should be considered on an equal footing as indigenous people.
But claiming that the Anglo-Saxon English are in fact Celts, just sounds silly.
I am speaking as someone who is English, but whose DNA test came out as less than 1% English I didnt stop being English when I got the DNA scores. Although my Englishness has never been questioned as I am one of those white peeps.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 21st 2020 at 11:31 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 10:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to interrupt, but wtf does anyone care about "indigenous British"? We are an island that has been migrated over time and time again. If you are born there, or if you later acquire citizenship, you are British. It makes not a bit of difference if your eleventy-umpteenth grandmother was one of the Beaker people, or painted herself with woad, or if your mother was from China, Honduras or Djibuti. If you are British, you are British and the same goes for every other European country in terms of multiple migrations. Presumably others, too. As long as we aren't killing each other over it, who cares? All this "indigenous British" stuff sounds unpleasantly like "blood and soil".

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 21st 2020 at 11:02 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Its a complex issue and the definitions tend to be used, misused, abused, and overlap even when used with knowledge and consideration. But I know very few people who would claim that anyone who may say, identify as English, would suddenly become Celtic, because they discover that their ancestors were from Ireland. Celtic might be said to be an ethnicity or a cultural group, but it is not something that one inherits. (and I am not eliminating that one may consider themselves as both Celtic and English)
I would think that from your point of view you would be on much more solid ground claiming that Anglos, Saxons, Jutes, Norse, and later the French Norse, or Normans, have been around long enough, and established long enough (no or limited challenge to that geographic area) in most of the geographic area (and without any real challenge to that geographic area) that they should be considered on an equal footing as indigenous people.
I am speaking as someone who is English, but whose DNA test came out as less than 1% English I didnt stop being English when I got the DNA scores. Although my Englishness has never been questioned as I am one of those white peeps.

What about all the Celts living in northern France and Northern Spain?

Will Paulry be happy with them all moving to the UK since despite being French and Spanish it would appear that they are really indigenous British? This is going to get complicated.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:27 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
This question on Twitter had me thinking, which nationality or group on BE or social media has the biggest chip, the most touchy, the easiest to wind up, the ones always quick to start up the outrage bus? No naming of individual posters, please...

https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/sta...76287575785472
Arsenal supporters???

Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:38 pm
So long...

Comedy is supposed to be funny.....

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Arsenal supporters???

I though Chelsea pensioners (supporters) only came out when they're winning?
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Indigenous peoples
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
And they're more than entitled to do so.
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
They have plenty to be pissed about.
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I would think that from your point of view you would be on much more solid ground claiming that Anglos, Saxons, Jutes, Norse, and later the French Norse, or Normans, have been around long enough, and established long enough (no or limited challenge to that geographic area) in most of the geographic area (and without any real challenge to that geographic area) that they should be considered on an equal footing as indigenous people.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I hate to interrupt, but wtf does anyone care about "indigenous British"? We are an island that has been migrated over time and time again. If you are born there, or if you later acquire citizenship, you are British. It makes not a bit of difference if your eleventy-umpteenth grandmother was one of the Beaker people, or painted herself with woad, or if your mother was from China, Honduras or Djibuti. If you are British, you are British and the same goes for every other European country in terms of multiple migrations. Presumably others, too. As long as we aren't killing each other over it, who cares? All this "indigenous British" stuff sounds unpleasantly like "blood and soil".

Will Paulry be happy with them all moving to the UK since despite being French and Spanish it would appear that they are really indigenous British? This is going to get complicated.
Which pretty much illustrates my point exactly (especially the last two quoted posts). According to the wokes It only matters being indigenous if you aren't British indigenous. If you're British indigenous it's dismissed as an absurdity and you can go and swivel. Their double standards are revealed once more.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does this bus have a speed limit or has the EU put limitations as to how fast it goes or how much power it can generate and is it petrol or electric? Are masks going to be mandatory if on the bus and will you have to social distance or just pack them in like sardines. Is there room for a ticket collector and is it a double decker?
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 12:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think that takes a lot of gall.

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 12:37 am

Which pretty much illustrates my point exactly (especially the last two quoted posts). According to the wokes It only matters being indigenous if you aren't British indigenous. If you're British indigenous it's dismissed as an absurdity and you can go and swivel. Their double standards are revealed once more.
You haven't defined "British indigenous" I don't think. What do you mean by that expression? Exactly who are you referring to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.