Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has pissed you off today

What has pissed you off today

Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:15 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has pissed you off today

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post

True, the situation could be worse.

Just waiting for the tears today. Normal follow-up when she is on the pain pills, the diet pills etc.
put it in perspective, didn't it.

A messed up RX junkie, eh? Yeah that could be a battle. Maybe its just PMS.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes!! went to get our taxes done today, we weren't expecting to get a huge refund, but at least something, seems we OWE the F***ing IRS almost $4.000

What I don't get (am I missing something?) they say that we owe taxes on Matthew's student loans, they were forgiven after he passed away, he was only in college for 6 weeks, we got the loans forgiven and never paid anything back. They say it's classed as an income? Surely it's the college that received the loans that owes the money back, not us?...I have emailed the college to find out what/if anything we can do.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
Taxes!! went to get our taxes done today, we weren't expecting to get a huge refund, but at least something, seems we OWE the F***ing IRS almost $4.000

What I don't get (am I missing something?) they say that we owe taxes on Matthew's student loans, they were forgiven after he passed away, he was only in college for 6 weeks, we got the loans forgiven and never paid anything back. They say it's classed as an income? Surely it's the college that received the loans that owes the money back, not us?...I have emailed the college to find out what/if anything we can do.
Hell's bells! That doesn't sound very good. No doubt the last thing you want to be bickering about.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
Hell's bells! That doesn't sound very good. No doubt the last thing you want to be bickering about.
It really isn't! I'm going to take everything to a 'bigger' tax prep' office and see if they can put it in plain English for me....an oxymoron? very probably!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

It really isn't! I'm going to take everything to a 'bigger' tax prep' office and see if they can put it in plain English for me....an oxymoron? very probably!
The combination of officialdom and plain English are two mutually incompatible concepts
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
The combination of officialdom and plain English are two mutually incompatible concepts
You are right of course! I'm just holding out some hope that the idiot that did the taxes this morning had no idea what he was talking about! The one thing that helps me with that is that he also left the deduction lines blank for property taxes/property depreciation, that had amounts in them last year
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Was the student loan in your name and not his? Edited to post this.

On the other hand, the letter also specifies that the following other types of student loan discharges do represent taxable income:

Death and Disability Discharge (Section 437(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965)

From here: http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

It seems it should come down to the school forking over a refund. If they had any credibility at all, given the circumstances.. There is usually a cancellation period when a full or partial refund is granted. You should ask about that.

Last edited by dakota44; Feb 20th 2013 at 7:53 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Was the student loan in your name and not his? Edited to post this.

On the other hand, the letter also specifies that the following other types of student loan discharges do represent taxable income:

Death and Disability Discharge (Section 437(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965)

From here: http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

It seems it should come down to the school forking over a refund. If they had any credibility at all, given the circumstances.. There is usually a cancellation period when a full or partial refund is granted. You should ask about that.
Thanx Dakota, really appreciate you looking into that. Will have Jay check out that link, he will probably be able to understand it better than me. The loan was co-signed by us and Matthew.

I emailed the school today, they said we needed to contact the student loan company?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Dakota, really appreciate you looking into that. Will have Jay check out that link, he will probably be able to understand it better than me. The loan was co-signed by us and Matthew.

I emailed the school today, they said we needed to contact the student loan company?
What a crazy situation, hope it gets sorted out quickly.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
What a crazy situation, hope it gets sorted out quickly.
I know it's not funny, but...my Sis said "well you know what they say sis, death n taxes" Made me snort!!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not funny, but...my Sis said "well you know what they say sis, death n taxes" Made me snort!!
That's true
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you could contact the student loan company to ask if the Uni refunded the money. If they did, tax problem solved as you received nothing. Emails can be easily brushed off. Is the school close by? Face to face with a parent is not so easy to ignore

Bad publicity is the idea that comes to my mind. Get a newspaper or station interested in the story and shame them into doing something. Even if they refunded half it gets you out of the problem. They might have figured if the loan was forgiven they could keep the money without creating waves.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That really fricking sucks. Hope it gets sorted
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That I can't watch this program for 2 reasons, I like Eddie and the whole DNA ancestry thing fascinates me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qxqgn/episodes/guide

I DID get to watch via a clip a wee bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21507732
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I suppose you could contact the student loan company to ask if the Uni refunded the money. If they did, tax problem solved as you received nothing. Emails can be easily brushed off. Is the school close by? Face to face with a parent is not so easy to ignore

Bad publicity is the idea that comes to my mind. Get a newspaper or station interested in the story and shame them into doing something. Even if they refunded half it gets you out of the problem. They might have figured if the loan was forgiven they could keep the money without creating waves.
I'm thinking that my first step should be to email the loan company and CC the college too, I really just want to know who got the remainder of the loan, our Son also got a few scholarships, including a Presidential one from the College, obviously we wouldn't have been offered any refund from those, but wouldn't they have to be factored into the costs he incurred (was only 6 weeks FFS!!) Every time I think about it being considered part of our income I get more pissed off.
Will let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
That really fricking sucks. Hope it gets sorted
Thanx hunni, it will get sorted, even if I have to go talk to a tax lawyer!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.