Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has pissed you off today

What has pissed you off today

Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has pissed you off today

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
UK banks are no better. I've just spoken to Lloyds, who asked for my address and then told me I would have to 'nip into a branch'. Er, I've just told you I live in California, how exactly do I 'nip' into a branch?
I moved to a different town and went into HSBC to transfer my "homebank" to the one in the new town. No need they said, you can do everything from every branch. A few months later I get a letter telling me to pick up my new credit card from the bank. So I go to my local branch to pick it up. Guess which branch they sent it to. So they send it to my new branch. I go to pick it up again. Too late - it was there for over a week so they sent it back.

Never got a credit card from them again. I didn't close down my account, they just never got themselves organised enough to enable me to get the card!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

So my son (19) feels very hard done by because we haven't given him a car and we are apparently the only parents not to have done so. At first I felt angry, as we pay his college tuition, room, food and course materials 100% and give him an allowance on top, however now I'm wondering if this really is the norm in the US and we should do this?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
So my son (19) feels very hard done by because we haven't given him a car and we are apparently the only parents not to have done so. At first I felt angry, as we pay his college tuition, room, food and course materials 100% and give him an allowance on top, however now I'm wondering if this really is the norm in the US and we should do this?
It won't be in our house. I haven't even got room up my arse to cover the stupid, backwardly prohibitive cost of 'higher' education in this bloody place, never mind a ****ing car on to of that.

Give him a clip round the ear and remind him he's British ...
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Re college tuition/room/food etc my husband took the view that we brought our daughter here so we should pick up the tab.

Almost all the kids I know here get a new car for their 16th or 17th birthday.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:16 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's the norm where you live. You just need to drive by the high schools and see all the cars that are nicer than your own parked there.

Everything here seems to be bought on the never never, as if having credit isn't like spending real money.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to get a job now
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to get a job now
Let him get the job, he's the one that wants the car
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Let him get the job, he's the one that wants the car
Yeah that was what I thought...I'm all muddled though living in this strange world.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell him to get a job and save up for one himself. It's possible to work as well as go to college. Or compromise and tell him you will help with the cost if he shows willing to earn some of the money as well. He will either agree or stop whinning
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:25 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah that was what I thought...I'm all muddled though living in this strange world.
Meh, just cause everyone else's parents want to be in debt forever doesn't man you have to
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Tell him to get a job and save up for one himself. It's possible to work as well as go to college. Or compromise and tell him you will help with the cost if he shows willing to earn some of the money as well. He will either agree or stop whinning
That's just it - if he showed willing to put something in I wouldn't mind.

Surely it can't be healthy to have this generation who get everything on a plate
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:30 pm
I have a comma problem

Surely it can't be healthy to have this generation who get everything on a plate
No, it's not. I'm only half a generation removed and none of us were this self-entitled at that age. I mean, I paid for my own fags and beer and everything ...
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stick to your guns Sal

If he wants one badly enough then he will realise the only way to get your help is to show willing himself
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bloody kids today.

I really believe we were a whole lot happier with a whole lot less.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you did buy him a car, have you asked him how he is going to afford to run it? I might stump up for the car, I wouldn't be putting any gas in it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.