British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   What has p*ssed you off today...part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/what-has-p%2Assed-you-off-today-part-ii-876119/)

Scamp Sep 23rd 2021 10:54 am

Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13054773)
Sorry to hear that BEVS, I know you will miss them - more now than ever.

Perhaps anyone who hasn't had a long-term bird-buddy might not understand, but we still miss our two mismatched lovebirds, Charlie the black masked and Princess, the lutino.
Charlie, my clever, pink-beaked mini-parrot boy, left us in 2008 and his beloved Princess in 2014, yet we still feel their presence.

No more aerobatic flights around the house, no more acrobatic landings on the cornice, no more squabbles......

I still miss my budgie from when I was a kid. If he got punchy and didn't want to get back in his cage we'd have to trick him with food into the microwave or oven and trap him :rofl:

macliam Sep 23rd 2021 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13054789)
I still miss my budgie from when I was a kid. If he got punchy and didn't want to get back in his cage we'd have to trick him with food into the microwave or oven and trap him :rofl:

There was always a damp tea-towel as the last resort.....;)

Scamp Sep 23rd 2021 11:19 am

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 13054793)
There was always a damp tea-towel as the last resort.....;)

Chuckie and Loopy. The latter was genuinely batshit crazy. Mine was pretty chilled, Chuckie just like to chill and tweet and be happy.

Mother told me she buried him nicely in the garden. Found out when I was about 20 that she flushed him.

moneypenny20 Sep 23rd 2021 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13054794)
Chuckie and Loopy. The latter was genuinely batshit crazy. Mine was pretty chilled, Chuckie just like to chill and tweet and be happy.

Mother told me she buried him nicely in the garden. Found out when I was about 20 that she flushed him.

How the hell do you flush a bird????? I've struggled to flush a goldfish in the past, can't imagine doing it to a bird!

el collado kid Sep 23rd 2021 12:53 pm

A memory that i know is slowly diminishing and the body that's following faster than i would like! And not being assed with anything at this precise minuet of my time. I am sure it's to do with new medication (or being a lazy sod):confused:

Lion in Winter Sep 23rd 2021 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 13054814)
A memory that i know is slowly diminishing and the body that's following faster than i would like! And not being assed with anything at this precise minuet of my time. I am sure it's to do with new medication (or being a lazy sod):confused:

ECK, if you are getting nasty side effects do ask the doc. Sometimes there are fixes for that.

Scamp Sep 23rd 2021 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 13054806)
How the hell do you flush a bird????? I've struggled to flush a goldfish in the past, can't imagine doing it to a bird!

I mean, they aren't big but I was staggered when she told me. Also broken-hearted. I remember the box was a Bier D'Or (might not be spelled correctly but those cheap french stubby beers from the supermarket) one and I even patted it down and cried over it.

I need to go back to therapy.

Lion in Winter Sep 23rd 2021 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13054827)
I mean, they aren't big but I was staggered when she told me. Also broken-hearted. I remember the box was a Bier D'Or (might not be spelled correctly but those cheap french stubby beers from the supermarket) one and I even patted it down and cried over it.

I need to go back to therapy.

Parents are a mystery.

Sometimes they do the most cruel things entirely without meaning to.

Jsmth321 Sep 23rd 2021 5:41 pm

Needed to get a new desk chair for months as the one I am using is basically falling apart, and barely functional, for months Wal-Mart had one in stock that was highback, finally able to buy one, not in stock and appears no longer carried at they also don't have it available online either, and everystore is out of stock.

Amazon has nothing except crap in my price range, the low quality crap from China marked up beyond what its worth with pages of bad reviews, and while they have the chair I was going to buy at Wal-Mart, Amazon want's double the price, so screw that.

It's oddly difficult to find a reasonably priced high back office chair it seems.

BristolUK Sep 23rd 2021 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13054918)
It's oddly difficult to find a reasonably priced high back office chair it seems.

We have two of these from Staples - https://www.staples.ca/products/2720...lack-25221r-ca

Got incredibly lucky, I think around 2014, on sale for $60 when full price was $120. Seems a big increase to the current $160. I've not noticed it on sale since but considering it's my computer chair, dining chair and also my evening chair all this time, I don't think I'd hesitate to get the same again.

My cheapskate status tendency to hunt for a bargain would no doubt come first of course. :rofl:

Whether it's high backed enough for you I don't know.

macliam Sep 23rd 2021 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13054832)
Parents are a mystery.

Sometimes they do the most cruel things entirely without meaning to.

I think that every time I see some of the kids.........

Jsmth321 Sep 24th 2021 12:45 am

I wonder if this company is one that cries they can't find workers, well I can guess one reason why people may not want to work there. That wage wont even let you rent an apartment.

Must not be full-time because that is also below minumum wage if based on a 40 hour work week.

This comment on reddit pretty much sums it up, this sort of thing has been happening for years, employers have gotten very good at convincing the government they can't find workers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...eb2x&context=3

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...2c1194add4.jpg

Gozit Sep 24th 2021 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13055014)
I wonder if this company is one that cries they can't find workers, well I can guess one reason why people may not want to work there. That wage wont even let you rent an apartment.

Must not be full-time because that is also below minumum wage if based on a 40 hour work week.

This comment on reddit pretty much sums it up, this sort of thing has been happening for years, employers have gotten very good at convincing the government they can't find workers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...eb2x&context=3

[snipped image]

As someone in IT, alot of those jobs are put up by shady recruitment agencies. There can be much better jobs with the same skillset requirements, just have to look.

Jsmth321 Sep 24th 2021 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 13055152)
As someone in IT, alot of those jobs are put up by shady recruitment agencies. There can be much better jobs with the same skillset requirements, just have to look.

I imagine they are, it was a posting off reddit as there are so many of these underpaying jobs across many industries all while claiming labor shortage, this just happened to be yesterdays example....

Vancouver and BC in general has long had some of the lowest wages in the country despite one of the highest cost of living, its why all the tech workers complain about how low the wages are here compared to Seattle, well Amazon isn't coming to Vancouver to pay Seattle level wages. ;)

Jsmth321 Sep 26th 2021 3:23 am

Jesus hasn't returned because people don't give enough money.....oh the things these TV pastors will say to get money rolling in.
https://www.indy100.com/news/evangel...money-b1926227