Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jun 18th 2021, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

The greed of people, no way this guy was catching this many crabs for personal use, too bad the penalty is fairly low, not really a deterrent, as someone said on reddit comments, dude probably made more with his illegal crab selling business than the fine. Also took a tip from Washington State officials for the dude to even get on the radar by Canadian authorities.

recreational limit for crab is 4, this dude had 89 when caught.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...bing-1.6070231

Old Jun 18th 2021, 10:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Banks insisting on a code given by means of a phone call.

So I'm doing a little banking activity just after 6.00 am when everyone else is still asleep and phones ring all over the house.
I'm exaggerating, of course, as their rings are turned off, but that's because the main phone ringing can be heard all over the house.

I suppose I could turn off the ring when I know there's a code to come but how about letting the customer have a say in when and how to apply such a check?
Old Jun 18th 2021, 10:52 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Banks insisting on a code given by means of a phone call.

So I'm doing a little banking activity just after 6.00 am when everyone else is still asleep and phones ring all over the house.
I'm exaggerating, of course, as their rings are turned off, but that's because the main phone ringing can be heard all over the house. I suppose I could turn off the ring when I know there's a code to come but how about letting the customer have a say in when and how to apply such a check?
Author of your own misfortunes. They only have to phone the tiny percentage of people they can't text (that's how they do it now). You decided on doing your business at 6 in the morning, so you do have a say in when they call.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 11:02 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The greed of people, no way this guy was catching this many crabs for personal use, too bad the penalty is fairly low, not really a deterrent, as someone said on reddit comments, dude probably made more with his illegal crab selling business than the fine. Also took a tip from Washington State officials for the dude to even get on the radar by Canadian authorities.
recreational limit for crab is 4, this dude had 89 when caught.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...bing-1.6070231
The fine and boat storage together add up to a good chunk of cash, and the 5 year ban will at least keep him from fishing in person. If he is trafficking then he could feasibly buy and resell, but now they know him it's unlikely. If they had him for trafficking in wildlife over a period of time the penalty would probably been far more severe. I see confiscated boats and piles of crab traps for sale on the government salvage site from time to time, and most are at Langely RCMP.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 3:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Author of your own misfortunes. They only have to phone the tiny percentage of people they can't text (that's how they do it now). You decided on doing your business at 6 in the morning, so you do have a say in when they call.
They haven't asked me about texting. Another organisation sends a text to my land line and I have to click "I didn't get it" and then they send the code by voice call

This bank, today, used to be a random thing and was once in a blue moon. Maybe I've been randomly selected a bit less randomly lately as it's been three times running.

Other experiences include a security check only for certain actions and even a choice including a code by email.

What happened to customer wishes?
Old Jun 18th 2021, 3:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Sorry.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 5:38 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't asked me about texting. Another organisation sends a text to my land line and I have to click "I didn't get it" and then they send the code by voice call

This bank, today, used to be a random thing and was once in a blue moon. Maybe I've been randomly selected a bit less randomly lately as it's been three times running.

Other experiences include a security check only for certain actions and even a choice including a code by email.

It's because security regulations are always changing and things that were deemed secure are now classed as a security issue. Email is also getting harder to guarantee it will actually get to the user due to spam blockers etc. I get complaints from some users that they even have to login at all, they just want to click a link and get direct access but their IT departments, lawyers and our payment gateway would have an absolute shit fit if I made that an option.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

IRS makes me file US tax returns every year, but they wont let me have an online account because to get an online account you need to have a US phone number that can receive texts, and at least one loan/credit account in the US.
  • Last 8 digits of Visa, Mastercard, or Discover credit card OR
  • Student loan OR
  • Mortgage or home equity loan OR
  • Home equity line of credit OR
  • Auto loan
Gets even better, I can't even do a verify my identity through receiving a letter with a code in the mail because wait for it........... still need a US based phone number to complete the process.

I am actually surprised checks and mail from the IRS get to me the weird way they do the address.

Name
12345 Main Street
Canada, BC V2P1G5

Notice how they leave out the city.......

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 18th 2021 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 6:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

In theory in the UK, you should just be able to put the name, house number and postcode as the address and it will get there, and it has been tried, sucessfully.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 6:58 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
In theory in the UK, you should just be able to put the name, house number and postcode as the address and it will get there, and it has been tried, sucessfully.
It does, I once did it when sending a postcard from Crete to UK.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get it that for some people $500 a month is not a large sum of money, but telling low income people to just save $500 a month in a TFSA isn't helpful advice. (TFSA = Tax Free Savings Account, which for me being a US person, isn't even tax free.)

And just the general cost of internet.

119.00 per month (going up to $169 per month in July) just for the internet.

Sure they offer cheaper plans for new customers, but they really screw existing customers.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 18th 2021 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
It does, I once did it when sending a postcard from Crete to UK.
A friend used to live at 2222 Athol St, and one year I sent him a Christmas card addressed to 2222 Asshole St, and it was delivered. I can't remember when we started using postal codes, and this may even have been before.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A friend used to live at 2222 Athol St, and one year I sent him a Christmas card addressed to 2222 Asshole St, and it was delivered. I can't remember when we started using postal codes, and this may even have been before.
My old aunt sent me a birthday card to NJ from the UK…Jerseygirl, Zip Code, USA. It arrived in time.

On the other hand someone sent me an envelope to Toronto with one digit in the postal code wrong…it took months to get to me.

Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:15 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
My old aunt sent me a birthday card to NJ from the UK…Jerseygirl, Zip Code, USA. It arrived in time.

On the other hand someone sent me an envelope to Toronto with one digit in the postal code wrong…it took months to get to me.
I'll have to dig a bit to see if I still have this one (I'll post it if I do), but a postcard from Crete (again!) this time to me in UK, had most of it delineated in marker pen to give instructions to UK postie; my name and flat number were there, as was the town.

No postcode, no building or street-name, but a very well thought out description of how a local UK postie might 'join the dots'.

It worked
Old Jun 20th 2021, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whoever is throwing their pot roaches into our patio is ticking me off. I think I may need to set up a camera and try to catch the culprit, last thing I need is the dog finding it first and eating it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.