Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Dec 28th 2016, 5:11 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Thanks. He'll be ok. He had a nasty headache and some short-term memory issues but hopefully he'll feel a bit better when he wakes up. Nobody did anything wrong, it's just a bit of a full-on sport. He'll be out for a while since they are pretty strict about concussions and rightly so. Since it's the holidays he'll have plenty of rest time - during the school year they even ease them back into schoolwork and tests which plays merry hell with their classes and grades. We had all that freshman year with the Great Broken Jaw episode.

The whole watching them thing is greatly overrated. Not good for the cortisol levels at all
Hope he's doing ok this morning. Makes you feel very sick doesn't it.

My daughter took a nasty fall at a climbing comp last year, she landed on her back/neck from around 15ft up, and the audible gasp that went around everyone scared me even more. Thankfully she got checked out and just had a bit of whiplash.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 5:13 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. He'll be ok. He had a nasty headache and some short-term memory issues but hopefully he'll feel a bit better when he wakes up. Nobody did anything wrong, it's just a bit of a full-on sport. He'll be out for a while since they are pretty strict about concussions and rightly so. Since it's the holidays he'll have plenty of rest time - during the school year they even ease them back into schoolwork and tests which plays merry hell with their classes and grades. We had all that freshman year with the Great Broken Jaw episode.

The whole watching them thing is greatly overrated. Not good for the cortisol levels at all
Wishing a speedy recovery to him LiW ^^
Old Dec 28th 2016, 5:19 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post

My daughter took a nasty fall at a climbing comp last year, she landed on her back/neck from around 15ft up, and the audible gasp that went around everyone scared me even more. Thankfully she got checked out and just had a bit of whiplash.
It's just as bad when it's not even your own kid. A few years back my assitant coach's son banjaxed his ACL during a match when he was playing in goal. He came out to get the ball at the same time as a player from the other team was going for the ball. They came together, there was a loud crack and both of them were out of commission. The player from the other team was OK but my guy was done for the season after that. His dad was reffing at the time as well, poor guy saw and heard the whole thing up close.

That's the most worried I've been over someone else's child. I felt like it was my fault, since I picked the team line up. 6 months later he was back at it again, fully recovered though, so it had a happy ending.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 6:13 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It's just as bad when it's not even your own kid. A few years back my assitant coach's son banjaxed his ACL during a match when he was playing in goal. He came out to get the ball at the same time as a player from the other team was going for the ball. They came together, there was a loud crack and both of them were out of commission. The player from the other team was OK but my guy was done for the season after that. His dad was reffing at the time as well, poor guy saw and heard the whole thing up close.

That's the most worried I've been over someone else's child. I felt like it was my fault, since I picked the team line up. 6 months later he was back at it again, fully recovered though, so it had a happy ending.
Yep I agree. You just don't want to see a kid get injured, and it's very easy to blame yourself no matter how small your part. I was at a climb last year when a girl fell and broke her collar bone right in front of me, you could instantly tell it was bad. The poor guy who had set the climb was nearly in tears, asking everyone if they had video footage so he could see it again to figure out what he had done that had caused it... everyone knew she had just landed badly but he couldn't help blaming himself. She was also back after a few months.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 6:47 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I agree. You just don't want to see a kid get injured, and it's very easy to blame yourself no matter how small your part. I was at a climb last year when a girl fell and broke her collar bone right in front of me, you could instantly tell it was bad. The poor guy who had set the climb was nearly in tears, asking everyone if they had video footage so he could see it again to figure out what he had done that had caused it... everyone knew she had just landed badly but he couldn't help blaming himself. She was also back after a few months.
It's a natural response - you feel like if you hadn't put them in a certain place, it wouldn't have happened. But climbing is an activity with inherent risk, soccer is a full contact sport and you can tell kids not to slide, but they are competitive and good and they're going to anyway. In 8 years of coaching, I only saw that one injury that required hopsital treatment. I'll consider that a success ...
Old Dec 28th 2016, 6:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth View Post
Oh god, reminds me of when my daughter was on a runaway horse. She took lessons at this farm in Florida. Last I saw was her going off at a leisurely clip while she disappeared into the distance. 10 mins later her horse came GALLOPING back without her on it. She had fallen off and buggered her hip up, permanently it seems, as we are 10 years on and she still has issues from time to time. Her best friend was on an adjacent horse who decided to throw her off as well and she got a concussion with short term memory loss. Resolved itself later that day, thank goodness.

Hope he feels better soon. Be brave papa.

Originally Posted by livinginnyc View Post
Wishing a speedy recovery to him LiW ^^

Thanks all, and sorry to hear the horror stories from others. Kids are just here to shorten our lifespans

He's better this morning. The headache's gone but he has to stay off screens until he's been headache free for 24 hours without meds - he's complaining about that so must be feeling better. He's not going to be able to do much studying for a few days, but he doesn't mind that so much (their end of term exams are right after the holidays, strangely). The kid who threw him was upset too and kept apologising to him.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 6:49 pm
Doin' It Right

Kids are just here to shorten our lifespans
Word.

He's better this morning. The headache's gone but he has to stay off screens until he's been headache free for 24 hours without meds - he's complaining about that so must be feeling better. He's not going to be able to do much studying for a few days, but he doesn't mind that so much (their end of term exams are right after the holidays, strangely). The kid who threw him was upset too and kept apologising to him.
Glad to hear he's on the mend. I guess I won't give my son too much shit for sitting on his arse and playing video games all winter break.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:52 am

It's a natural response - you feel like if you hadn't put them in a certain place, it wouldn't have happened. But climbing is an activity with inherent risk, soccer is a full contact sport and you can tell kids not to slide, but they are competitive and good and they're going to anyway. In 8 years of coaching, I only saw that one injury that required hopsital treatment. I'll consider that a success ...
That's pretty good going. You don't see many bad injuries in climbing, as long as you're sensible, most happen with landing badly on a fall, too many happen through stupidity and carelessness -but that's rarely the kids.

We have friends whose kid has just gone off to ski boarding school, he also climbs, his Mum won't allow him to play American football though, too dangerous I kind of get it, the other two are in his own control.

Thanks all, and sorry to hear the horror stories from others. Kids are just here to shorten our lifespans

That's good news. Yes they do indeed shorten our lifespans I am grateful for an active kid though, better than being a couch potato like me.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:51 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear he's doing better.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:33 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Went ice skating with my Girl Scout troops today. Afterwards, we went for an impromptu lunch. There were 3 girls there without parents, being chaperoned by some of the other parents, who were also dropping them back home afterwards.

Every single other adult ordered food for themselves and their own kids and then went and sat down.

Not wanting to leave anybody out, that left me to order and pay for food for the 3 girls whose parents weren't there AND another girl whose mother WAS there but had gone and sat down at a table because she wasn't eating, and had left her daughter at the counter with the other 3... so of course I wasn't about to take everyone else's orders and not offer her something. Her mother clearly realised she was eating and drinking and didn't once ask who had paid for her stuff.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 2:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong View Post
Went ice skating with my Girl Scout troops today. Afterwards, we went for an impromptu lunch. There were 3 girls there without parents, being chaperoned by some of the other parents, who were also dropping them back home afterwards.

Every single other adult ordered food for themselves and their own kids and then went and sat down.

Not wanting to leave anybody out, that left me to order and pay for food for the 3 girls whose parents weren't there AND another girl whose mother WAS there but had gone and sat down at a table because she wasn't eating, and had left her daughter at the counter with the other 3... so of course I wasn't about to take everyone else's orders and not offer her something. Her mother clearly realised she was eating and drinking and didn't once ask who had paid for her stuff.
The mother who didn't want to eat so didn't feel the need to feed her child should be slapped.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 2:52 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You're far too kind.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I commend you for being a really decent person
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:06 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Got my car back today. It had to have a new transmission so quite a hefty bill. M went to pick it up and brought it home. He was pleased with the work they had done but but he had obviously gone blind!

The front passenger side wing area ( not sure if that's the right word) had 2 big dings and a 6 inch crease in the body work. When I pointed it out to him he called the shop and they acted all surprised and said "the owner has already left so just bring it back Monday and we will see what we can do"

Looking at the damage it seems it probably came from the lift they use to take out the transmission.

They must have known we would notice it so why not tell us. I am really mad about it
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

People who use emails to order you about and start arguments and continue for 18 f*****g emails afterwards. Emails I always understood were for information only. If people have more to say/disagree/want a conversation. PICK UP THE PHONE.aggh. Ruined my otherwise pleasant weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.