Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
It took nearly half an hour to connect to the internet this morning,why is it only when you want to use some thing it does not work, why can't it not work when you are not using things.This would be far betterand then when you use it, it works yeah sorted!
Things might not be working when you're not using them as well, did you ever think of that, hmmmmm
Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Things might not be working when you're not using them as well, did you ever think of that, hmmmmm

Schrodinger's internet. It's a known thing.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
One impact of us staying on in Portugal is that SWMBOs car in the UK can't be taxed (because it also needs an MOT and the tax notification is by snail-mail only). So we decided to declare it off road (SORN).... Except, you need to quote the V5 identification number to do that online - and we don't have it here.... No option to use the reg number (also supplied by the DVLA), that would be too obvious.

So SWMBO wrote online to the DVLA, explaining we are not in the UK and asking for advice. After 2 days the reply comes back, ignoring what had been written and **helpfully** suggesting we phone their callcenter on a UK non-geographic number... yeah right, wait in a queue in an international call, obvious really!

So she then asked what information would be required, so she could limit the time neeed on the call. After 2 days the reply came back (you guessed it) ignoring what had been written and suggesting she call the callcenter and they **might** be able to help SORN the car. What point an online enquiry service? Chocolate teapots come to mind!! Oh, there was a rider on this second answer...... **Due to COVID** the callcenter is very busy so wait times are extended!!

4 times so far...... no call less than 5 minutes and not a sniff of an answer. Looks like we'll be sorting it out on return to the UK, when they attempt to fine her for not taxing her car

Have you got a nosey neighbour in the UK who could go and get the vehicle id number for you? In the US the number is on the inside of the car frame, but also on a metal plate screwed onto the dashboard by the windscreen, and is visible from the outside.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Have you got a nosey neighbour in the UK who could go and get the vehicle id number for you? In the US the number is on the inside of the car frame, but also on a metal plate screwed onto the dashboard by the windscreen, and is visible from the outside.
No, that's the VIN..... I think the V5 ID is just another number assigned by the DVLA. It is on the Car tax letter as well as the V5 document, but the letter is snail-mail only. Why the DVLA need an identifier other than the reg numbr they assign, I have no idea..... maybe it's just because of possible reuse of the reg number (you can transfer it between vehicles) - but even so, it's only applicable to one vehicle at a time..

However, my main gripe is the total unwillingness of the DVLA to help... and worse, to provide an online contact facility that is useless (tick the box).

Last edited by macliam; Nov 30th 2020 at 1:59 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:58 pm

No, that's the VIN..... I think the V5 ID is just another number assigned by the DVLA. It is on the Car tax letter as well as the V5 document, but the letter is snail-mail only. Why the DVLA need an identifier other than the reg numbr they assign, I have no idea..... maybe it's just because of possible reuse of the reg number (you can transfer it between vehicles) - but even so, it's only applicable to one vehicle at a time..
Ah, right. I thought that maybe V5 ID was just British for VIN. I've never owned a car in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...After 2 days the reply comes back, ignoring what had been written...
I've lost count of the number of times I've emailed and/or used the contact us option on a website to ask something that's not mentioned on the website to receive a response advising me to look on the website. And it's not always been an automated response.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very perturbing. Our phone bill to Canada Pension was 75 euro. That price got us absolutly nothing squared on my Pension. I was put on hold and told to call a different number, none of the numbers were toll free. Imagine, expecting a pensioner who isn't able to collect their pension to pay for all these phone calls to Canada and still no pension! Yes, a d how many times did we tell them we couldn't get what we needed from the web page without a code that only they can provide over the phone? Three times I think it was and again I was told to call yet another phone number I would have to pay overseas charges for!

Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
Yes, very perturbing. Our phone bill to Canada Pension was 75 euro. That price got us absolutly nothing squared on my Pension. I was put on hold and told to call a different number, none of the numbers were toll free. Imagine, expecting a pensioner who isn't able to collect their pension to pay for all these phone calls to Canada and still no pension! Yes, a d how many times did we tell them we couldn't get what we needed from the web page without a code that only they can provide over the phone? Three times I think it was and again I was told to call yet another phone number I would have to pay overseas charges for!
Can you buy a phone card, or does your phone provider offer special coverage? For an automatic charge of around $10 per day I can speak to anyone anywhere, for as long as I like during the 24 hour period. The charge only kicks in if I make calls to a number outside Canada.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 30th 2020 at 3:23 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 1st 2020, 9:04 am
Banned

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

It seems my wifi connector thing jig is not working so we have had to hard wire the thing and now it is fine as long as the connection lead is long enough to reach where you are using the computer
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

******* snow.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 1:46 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
******* snow.
+1
Old Dec 1st 2020, 2:13 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

for this first time ever I'm not bitching about the snow, because i don't have to go out in it
Old Dec 1st 2020, 2:48 pm
Banned

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Snow snow, what oh my
Old Dec 1st 2020, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
******* snow.

And despite the early fall snow we got, the first 2 weeks of December at least are expected to be warmer than usual, and less precipitation courtesy of some high pressure that has parked over parts of BC.

Old Dec 1st 2020, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I really hate the dryer in this unit. Why couldn't they just go with a normal vents to the outside kind that can actually dry clothes properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.