Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

https://www.gro.gov.uk for official copies of birth, marriage and death certificates is usually efficient but currently impacted like most places. To speed things up/increase your chance of success you’ll need the volume and page number of the GRO index. The gro index on the gro website is only partially there as money ran out for the digitisation project, plus they have a 100 year rule so if you can’t find what you need then try https://www.freebmd.org.uk for the right index entry then back to order at gro.gov.uk.

I do it for family history research - give me a shout if you get stuck.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:14 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I know...it sounds like the Belgians are aware of that too
Last time I went to the town hall, I asked - not really expecting a reply - how many "Swiss" were on the communal register?

Answer: 57.

In our tiny commune?

When this current episode passes, I could see that there'd be room for a fondue establishment on the main drag.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:31 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
https://www.gro.gov.uk for official copies of birth, marriage and death certificates is usually efficient but currently impacted like most places. To speed things up/increase your chance of success you’ll need the volume and page number of the GRO index. The gro index on the gro website is only partially there as money ran out for the digitisation project, plus they have a 100 year rule so if you can’t find what you need then try https://www.freebmd.org.uk for the right index entry then back to order at gro.gov.uk.

I do it for family history research - give me a shout if you get stuck.
Thank you for that pointer.

And the offer of assistance.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:52 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

To speed things up/increase your chance of success you’ll need the volume and page number of the GRO index.
Actually ,in my experience with GRO, if you want to speed things up, you simply pay more.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:02 pm
BEfuddled

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Actually ,in my experience with GRO, if you want to speed things up, you simply pay more.
Which is sort-of-what prompted my initial post.

Make sure you have a credit/debit card to hand.

Scale of charges.

Continue...

I'll kick it off on the morrow.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:13 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Which is sort-of-what prompted my initial post.

Make sure you have a credit/debit card to hand.

Scale of charges.

Continue...

I'll kick it off on the morrow.
Good luck BB! I have had occasion to use GRO on quite a few occasions these last few years, paying both the standard charge & the premium (for faster service). On no occasion have they delivered on time, more importantly, I have had to complain to get a result. Mind you, they're very quick to take the money!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:58 pm
BEfuddled

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Good luck BB! I have had occasion to use GRO on quite a few occasions these last few years, paying both the standard charge & the premium (for faster service). On no occasion have they delivered on time, more importantly, I have had to complain to get a result. Mind you, they're very quick to take the money!
Cheers that man!

On the one other occasion I've needed UK paperwork for the Swiss, after umpty-seven emails I was given the telephone number of the County Court in question - I needed a copy of the divorce certificate, but that needed to be dated within 6 months of submission of whatever Swiss application.

My call was eventually answered, I explained at length why I was calling, to be told that I had come through to the criminal court, when I should have called the civil court... Yeah, right.

However, the crims managed to transfer my call to the civs, and having repeated my request I was told that I could have the requested document for Four and a Half Earth Pounds. I figured that it might be useful to have two copies, so enquired as to whether Nine Earth Pounds would be the correct amount.

Oh no, subsequent copies are One Earth Pound, so that would be Five and a Half Earth Pounds for the two documents.

But they didn't take credit cards, only cheques drawn on a UK bank.

This just 20 Earth Years ago...
---
Enough here, thanks each, any followup will be in the Belgian thread.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 5:50 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Grounds for divorce, surely.
Elbow?
Old Apr 1st 2020, 9:55 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
it sure does, I hope he will pull through.
Just had a message to say he is still stable and conscious on day 6 - but medics say there's a change on day 7 or 8 (not sure good or bad!)
He's on 60-70% oxygen, but via a mask (hopefully not due to the lack of respirators).
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Just had a message to say he is still stable and conscious on day 6 - but medics say there's a change on day 7 or 8 (not sure good or bad!)
He's on 60-70% oxygen, but via a mask (hopefully not due to the lack of respirators).

Sounds like he's got fight in him.

indeed.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Elbow?
Had to google.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 12:56 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Had to google.
TUNE.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Wife and I are pissing each other off at this point.

Spending nearly 24/7 together without any personal space is getting to us.

Scammers piss me off on a normal day, but doubly so now when they are trying to take advantage of people.

Oh and the thieves who are stealing stuff from ambulances and actual parts from the ambulance like the catalytic converter. 3 ambulances near Vancouver had theirs stolen and earlier in the week a paramedic had her supply bag stolen.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Apr 3rd 2020 at 6:28 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 6:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling a bit down today, it's just one year since my wonderful wife Pat died, so if i'm not on here much, that's the reason.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 8:01 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Feeling a bit down today, it's just one year since my wonderful wife Pat died, so if i'm not on here much, that's the reason.
Have a virtual hug Mike. As much as you can, remember the good times with Pat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.