Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:06 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Hairy cake...... best avoided.
If that is all there is...
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Just so people understand we have to choose between food and rent this month, we cannot have both and that we will be homeless in the coming months if we don't pay rent in order to eat. Our life in a month went from tolerable to having to choose between food and rent, we will almost certainly be homeless by end of summer, I went from having a job to not having one in under 2 weeks and never got to even start it. Because I did not work enough in 2019, we do not qualify for any of the government assistance programs, and even if we did, every dollar we got from another program would be deducted from disability so we would end up in the same exact boat.

We don't have a secure and stable roof over our heads, nobody on disability who rents does, renting housing is the least stable form of housing possible, banks would never allow 60-100% of income to be used for a mortgage yet renters have no other option, when rent on the low end is 1,500 a month, there isn't exactly any ways to reduce that cost, there is literally nothing within 2 hour radius of Vancouver in our price range, only places we can afford are small isolated towns but they don't have the healthcare services my wife needs so we can't move somewhere without the healthcare we need.

Stop Minimizing Mental Illness

Last edited by Jsmth321; Mar 27th 2020 at 7:26 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
If that is all there is...
Ugh, I have a vision of my auld Mammy picking up something from the floor, giving it a quick wipe with a spit-moistened hankie and saying "There now! it's fine......"

The same treatment cleaned faces at all times. Mammy's spit was the best anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-"jerrum" treatment known.

She said so.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:38 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
You do understand we have to choose between food and rent this month, we cannot have both and that we will be homeless in the coming months if we don't pay rent in order to eat.

Only income we have is disability which covers rent, but nothing else.

"You're depressed - have you tried just being happier?" Seen it all too often, I am afraid.

I totally get where you are coming from on this. I've not experienced anything like the kind of obstacles you are facing right now and I really can't even imagine how you must feel, but I hope you are able to come out the other side, and that there is another side to come out on.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:43 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
"You're depressed - have you tried just being happier?" Seen it all too often, I am afraid.
JSmith - this was not meant to be in direct reply to you, rather an example of the kind of crap I have heard people say when dismissing mental illness in other cases. Sorry for any ambiguity there, wanted to make sure it was cleared up.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get where you are coming from on this. I've not experienced anything like the kind of obstacles you are facing right now and I really can't even imagine how you must feel, but I hope you are able to come out the other side, and that there is another side to come out on.
I have learned one thing, all the self help books when they say reach out for help, really have no idea what they are talking about. I reached out for a decade almost now and certainly didn't lead to help. Unless someone has a strong personal support network of friends or family they really cannot overcome a severe mental illness alone, but of course we live in a society where only the wealthy can get help. People assume universal healthcare = universal access to all healthcare needs which unfortunately isn't the case in Canada only thing mental health covers here is medication but there is no approved medication for my disorder, only treatment is therapy and long term therapy to work through the issues and learn the coping skills I didn't learn as a child when I should have. No amount of self help with fix it, you can't self help your way out of things when your thinking is distorted.

People can't self help out of a damaged heart or liver, so why do people think you can just self help out of a damaged brain?

If you wouldn't tell someone with cancer to just snap out of it and people wouldn't tell someone with liver failure to just fix it, so why do people do this with anything related to the brain?

One thing all the self help books do say early on, is to not try and treat yourself, always seek professional help, self help is a tool that is combined with professional help.

Media for decades has made it seem mental illness can be fixed with a pill, just take a pill and everything is fine, but reality is there is a slew of mental health issues that cannot be treated with just medication, and some like BPD don't even have any known medications currently, best medication does is treat some symptoms, but it doesn't treat the illness.

Its as I have said before but usually ignored, you wouldn't fix a broken bone by giving pain killers, pain killers treat a symptom but doesn't treat problem, same with BPD and other complex mental health issues, medication might be beneficial for some symptoms, but does nothing to treat the actual problem.

I have been on dozen + medications over the last 10 years, none have brought any relief, which isn't unusual, many with BPD find no medication of help, what did help a bit was when I had a therapist briefly last spring, but we could not manage with the payments, $150-$200 per week may as well be 100,000 for us, not within the realm of possibility.

Let me end with this, think about your housing and food costs and nothing else, now imagine if your housing took up 95-100% of your total monthly income, if you had no friends or family, would you be able to survive long term and without any stress and feel happy and wonderful?

Last edited by Jsmth321; Mar 27th 2020 at 7:06 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:50 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

You do understand we have to choose between food and rent this month, we cannot have both and that we will be homeless in the coming months if we don't pay rent in order to eat.

Only income we have is disability which covers rent, but nothing else.

I don't think that was what was meant and whilst you have every right to use the forum to vent your frustration, others are not in a position to help you with your issues.

It would be easy to say you need to take this up with your doctor, local services, etc., but I know you've been there. At the same time, we don't have a magic wand to make it all better - all people can do is offer sympathy and/or suggest positives. Whether in the UK, USA, Aus,NZ or there in Canada, none of us can actually change your situation...... and at the same time, nobody here is to blame for it.

Take a step back and see what your options are - because there will be some..... even if they are not things you want to do. I don't know your history or how you end up in a place you apparently hate, but perhaps you need to change that before you'll see any positives. For sure, attacking people for offering the only thing they can offer online won't help you.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a note to folks, I'm pretty sure Dorothy completely understands mental illness, so let's not go after her please and thank you.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:52 pm
Doin' It Right

I have learned one thing, all the self help books when they say reach out for help, really have no idea what they are talking about. I reached out for a decade almost now and certainly didn't lead to help. Unless someone has a strong personal support network of friends or family they really cannot overcome a severe mental illness alone, but of course we live in a society where only the wealthy can get help. People assume universal healthcare = universal access to all healthcare needs which unfortunately isn't the case in Canada only thing mental health covers here is medication but there is no approved medication for my disorder, only treatment is therapy and long term therapy to work through the issues and learn the coping skills I didn't learn as a child when I should have. No amount of self help with fix it, you can't self help your way out of things when your thinking is distorted.

People can't self help out of a damaged heart or liver, so why do people think you can just self help out of a damaged brain?
People in general are really only now beginning to accept that mental illnesses are a disease in the same way that diabetes or high blood pressure is. Decades, centuries even of toxic attitudes did nothing to help with this.

Factor in the predatory nature of a for-profit healthcare system and late stage capitalism and it's no wonder more and more people are left without the help they need and end up taking matters into their own hands. I wish I could do more than offer up words on a screen for you, I really do. Know that many of us here are on your side, for what that's worth, and please don't rush into any rash decisions because none of us want to get that news.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:54 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Just as a note to folks, I'm pretty sure Dorothy completely understands mental illness, so let's not go after her please and thank you.
Nothing in my posts were intended to reference Dorothy (I hope she realized too). But rather society, and particularly North American society at large with their 'just tough it out, you big pussy' attitude. Which exists just as much in Canada as it does down here.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing in my posts were intended to reference Dorothy (I hope she realized too). But rather society, and particularly North American society at large with their 'just tough it out, you big pussy' attitude. Which exists just as much in Canada as it does down here.
Yeah I know. I was just saying in general.

And yes, mental illness does not get the respect it deserves.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:58 pm
Doin' It Right

Yeah I know. I was just saying in general.
I'm being overly cautious because I have a history of "I was only trying to help" becoming something that really isn't very helpful at all.

And yes, mental illness does not get the respect it deserves.
To some degree, I would say most people suffer from their own battles with it at some point in their life. I have heard and read stories about children as young as 8 or 9 talking about wanting to kill themselves due to bullying and it ****ing broke me in a way I never thought would happen.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:02 pm

To some degree, I would say most people suffer from their own battles with it at some point in their life. I have heard and read stories about children as young as 8 or 9 talking about wanting to kill themselves due to bullying and it ****ing broke me in a way I never thought would happen.
I agree. We have major struggles that we are socially pressured into just sucking up. In some ways humans are extremely tough and resilient, and in other ways not at all. If only we could channel the "not at all" bit into focusing on making life a bit better for us all - you know, world hunger, war, world pollution, poverty, homelessness, etc etc etc
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:07 pm
Doin' It Right

I agree. We have major struggles that we are socially pressured into just sucking up. In some ways humans are extremely tough and resilient, and in other ways not at all. If only we could channel the "not at all" bit into focusing on making life a bit better for us all - you know, world hunger, war, world pollution, poverty, homelessness, etc etc etc
I feel like it may slowly be starting to change. I already see it kind of naturally occurring in my daughter and she's only 10 so there may yet be hope. I may not live long enough to see the change but I can die peacefully when my time comes if I know the change is coming.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:22 pm

I feel like it may slowly be starting to change. I already see it kind of naturally occurring in my daughter and she's only 10 so there may yet be hope. I may not live long enough to see the change but I can die peacefully when my time comes if I know the change is coming.

This is why we absolutely need the idealism of young people, and not laugh them off or talk down to them. They are people - just young people, not stupid people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.