Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Mar 27th 2020, 5:05 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I do but right now everything is covered with Oak Worms. Horrible black striped caterpillars that fall from all our oak trees that surround us. They crawl up the outside walls, are on windows and the concrete drive. The only way we can get rid of them is spray them with soapy water. You can actually get a reaction of red whelps on your skin if they touch you. I try not to but they tend to drop down on you. This is the first year I have seen so many of them. Must be another plague instead of locusts.
- we get processionary caterpillars from the pine trees in Portugal, they do the same but worse - they can kill dogs if they inhale the fine hairs.
Now is the time to look for nests and destroy them before they hatch. We have five pine trees at the back of the house - and I can't be there!

Last edited by macliam; Mar 27th 2020 at 6:33 am.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:28 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
2 Months a, bevs good on you that's what i like to hear,can i ask a question please,yes oh good
Does that mask leave a mark all round your face.Only you have had it on a long time
It messes with my fringe but helps my double chin.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:31 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

There will.

I do but right now everything is covered with Oak Worms. Horrible black striped caterpillars that fall from all our oak trees that surround us. They crawl up the outside walls, are on windows and the concrete drive. The only way we can get rid of them is spray them with soapy water. You can actually get a reaction of red whelps on your skin if they touch you. I try not to but they tend to drop down on you. This is the first year I have seen so many of them. Must be another plague instead of locusts.
Yuk. Ugh. Yuk. Ugh Yuk . Ugh.
Ugh Ugh Ugh Ughughugh.
Yuk Yuk Yuk and more yuks
Mega yuks.
Yukety yuk ughs.
Shudderty yuks and ughs
Ugh ugh Yuk.
Yuk Yuk
and I really mean
YUK
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

People who read a press release but never look beyond the press release.

Government's in Canada have been announcing various programs, many of us are falling through the cracks and not eligible for these programs for one reason or another, but then I will get a press release sent to me by someone, yes I am aware the government is doing this or that, but once you dig into the criteria to meet, well people start falling through the cracks.

Landlords who wont work with tenants during this time.

Being told i need to look at the positive, okay what positive? Literally nothing in my life that is positive right now, and that is not just my negative brain thinking, its just the simple truth.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 11:22 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Being told i need to look at the positive, okay what positive? Literally nothing in my life that is positive right now, and that is not just my negative brain thinking, its just the simple truth.
Really? So the dog is nothing? A wife who loves you is nothing? The fact that you have a roof over head and food to eat is nothing? There are people right now lying alone in hospital beds, dying alone a slow horrible death by drowning in the fluid that accumulated in their lungs but you have nothing positive. Take a look at those people who I'm sure would gladly take your "nothing positive" over what they have.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
- we get processionary caterpillars from the pine trees in Portugal, they do the same but worse - they can kill dogs if they inhale the fine hairs.
Now is the time to look for nests and destroy them before they hatch. We have five pine trees at the back of the house - and I can't be there!
What is this with the killer caterpillars? I had always thought of them as nice little fuzzy things that turn into butterflies and moths.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What is this with the killer caterpillars? I had always thought of them as nice little fuzzy things that turn into butterflies and moths.

reminds me of those delicious caterpillar birthday cakes from M&S.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
reminds me of those delicious caterpillar birthday cakes from M&S.
Exactly.

This whole idea of deadly caterpillars raining on you from the sky is worrying.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of 'hairy' caterpillars which have fine hairs on them, these are very irritant and cause allergic reactions, a defence against predators, but if dogs or cats eat them hey will cause a swelling in the mouth and throat, and this can kill, anyone with allergies will know just how nasty this can be. Spain and Portugal have the processionary ones, walking around like a snake. Unfortunately they are already in the South of the UK as well with this global warning.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
People who read a press release but never look beyond the press release.

Government's in Canada have been announcing various programs, many of us are falling through the cracks and not eligible for these programs for one reason or another, but then I will get a press release sent to me by someone, yes I am aware the government is doing this or that, but once you dig into the criteria to meet, well people start falling through the cracks.

Landlords who wont work with tenants during this time.

Hi jsmth321 Ithink you have been down in the dumps for some time mate and once you are there it takes a giant effort to get out from there.I was there some time ago and my advice to you my friend is you have a key as we all do,I found mine about 20-25 years ago and it changed me forever,for the better that is your key is there but you have to find it, you have to help yourself and you will trust me.A change of mindset is a good start but i warn you it is so so difficult to achieve this but you can, my wife helped me and is still with me, if it was not for her i know i would have given up.So my friend we have to find your KEY and we will, life for you will change and you will look back and think what was all that about and say to your self WTF.So we have to start slow and have a good day every now and then change your thoughts (very difficult) i have faith in you and you can do it.I DID. If i can you can so pick a day and have ago,P.S trust the people around you as they trust you,Just remember you are doing this for them and you.All my very best mate
Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

This whole idea of deadly caterpillars raining on you from the sky is worrying.
Oh, I agree..... when i first saw processionary caterpillars in Spain, I was fascinated........ a 4-metre line of caterpillars wriggling along nose-to-tail.
They're not unattractive either, but those guard hairs are best avoided. For humans they cause itchy welts on unprotected skin, but of course, dogs go in nose-first - and the resulant swelling in their nasal tracts and respiratory system can be fatal.

They are a pain on stone pine trees (which are attractive and give pine nuts) as the "nests" are woven around the needles and are hard to remove. I try hooking them out, but the danger is that you rip them open and end up with a rain of juvenile caterpillars. Otherwise, you have to cut away the infested area..... and put up with gaps in th canopy.
Then you either burn the nests or stamp on them
https://dengarden.com/pest-control/H...erpillar-Nests
Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Oh, I agree..... when i first saw processionary caterpillars in Spain, I was fascinated........ a 4-metre line of caterpillars wriggling along nose-to-tail.
They're not unattractive either, but those guard hairs are best avoided. For humans they cause itchy welts on unprotected skin, but of course, dogs go in nose-first - and the resulant swelling in their nasal tracts and respiratory system can be fatal.

They are a pain on stone pine trees (which are attractive and give pine nuts) as the "nests" are woven around the needles and are hard to remove. I try hooking them out, but the danger is that you rip them open and end up with a rain of juvenile caterpillars. Otherwise, you have to cut away the infested area..... and put up with gaps in th canopy.
Then you either burn the nests or stamp on them
https://dengarden.com/pest-control/H...erpillar-Nests

4 meters of caterpillar is a lot of caterpillar.

Sounds like you need a flamethrower.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 3:37 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

4 meters of caterpillar is a lot of caterpillar.
Not if it's a cake.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Not if it's a cake.
True, around you that would be 3 inches of caterpillar so fast it would make your tie lift.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 4:14 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Not if it's a cake.
Hairy cake...... best avoided.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.