Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I just got my first ever scam text (yes, I know I'm slow). I'll quote it directly, text speak, spelling and punctuation errors and all.

Hi mate its rakesh from fastway courier. I have a package for u. are u home today ir do u want me to leave at front door?? Thanks.

I feel like texting back and telling him that I'll be out until 9pm, the key will be in the door and the valuables are hidden in the 4th shelf of the linen cupboard.
As someone without a mobile/cell phone and completely unused to text messages, I have to ask what is this trying to get from you?
Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
As someone without a mobile/cell phone and completely unused to text messages, I have to ask what is this trying to get from you?

Looking for her to respond "nobody will be home at that time" so that the sending will then know that the house is empty and ripe for burglary. It wouldn't be hard to extract an address "please just confirm your address" or even get it from a directory (don't know how that's managed in Oz).
Old Feb 14th 2020, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I am fortunate for this to annoy me, but I hate how long it takes for CRA to open netfile so I can file my taxes, I just want my refund, its not a big refund but every penny helps.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 11:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Looking for her to respond "nobody will be home at that time" so that the sending will then know that the house is empty and ripe for burglary. It wouldn't be hard to extract an address "please just confirm your address" or even get it from a directory (don't know how that's managed in Oz).
Ah, I remember the old fashioned telephone - or plain old knock on the door and hide - could be used for that. Hopefully asking for an address when they should know it if they have a parcel for them would alert them.

I did wonder if it was about ascertaining a genuine phone number (for later use presumably) - I know the advice for spam emails was always not to even respond as that would reveal a genuine account.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I know I am fortunate for this to annoy me, but I hate how long it takes for CRA to open netfile so I can file my taxes, I just want my refund, its not a big refund but every penny helps.
Me too. No refund for me, of course, but it does irritate me that I can be goody two shoes having mine and others' returns done so early, but then twiddle my thumbs waiting for Netfile capability.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 11:52 pm
Still mal-fonted. Why?

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Love your pay back to the scammer

I don't think I'll text mine back, I don't want him to know it's me.

I'm up for laugh, what's his number?

OH got bombarded a while ago, and adopted a similar tactic to that as described by LiW. She asked me beforehand to verify her 'pronunciation' of 'not quite native English' is the safest way of putting it.

I howled my socks off.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
How does that work, you just let them stick a hive in your back yard and boom - free honey? Because that sounds dope.
Yes, pretty much.

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I think you'd need a fairly big "back yard" that you don't want to use for much else -
They come round, you discuss size of yard, closeness of neighbours, use of yard etc and they work out how many hives would work. We're on acreage and kids are grown so we could have a stack. Just need to find the guy's number.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Ah, I remember the old fashioned telephone - or plain old knock on the door and hide - could be used for that. Hopefully asking for an address when they should know it if they have a parcel for them would alert them.

I did wonder if it was about ascertaining a genuine phone number (for later use presumably) - I know the advice for spam emails was always not to even respond as that would reveal a genuine account.

Me too. No refund for me, of course, but it does irritate me that I can be goody two shoes having mine and others' returns done so early, but then twiddle my thumbs waiting for Netfile capability.
I am not sure what takes CRA so long to open it. The US manages to do it generally by end of January.

Only getting a refund because of the 6 weeks I worked in 2019, didn't earn enough to pay taxes so they are giving it all back a couple hundred, nothing huge but still helpful to have.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Grinding my teeth and hoping I can not let ED see how mad I am with her , when she arrives next month with our 2 yrs old Granddaughter ( last seen in April last year )

She is a world class procrastinator. can't seem to stick to any plan she makes. Never bothered us that much before ,but now it involves this precious 'only' grandchild it has begun to chafe

She 'said' they would come for Christmas . Then, They were too busy with work ( but they went away anyway to friends on nearby islands ..his and hers Thanksgiving and Xmas ) We didn't mind that so much as it is expensive ,and she did give us enough notice that time to make our own plans. However she then said that they would come for the whole of February as it was 'out of season ' for their work. We planned for that..foolishly.. Friends emailed from France that they would be coming to Portugal and wanted to stay with us in late March. Lovely ,fitted in perfectly. I needed to go to Manchester for a medical procedure , made the appointment for early March.
Got the email end of January.. Sorry they couldn't come. her partner had decided ( once again ) that they 'really needed to see his family first ' for various vague reasons at that point..YEP the family he whisked our granddaughter off to see, on his own, last year ,before the visit to us. .. See a patten here ?. The family he vowed NEVER to see again ,as they were totally dysfunctional ? We know the sister is an alcoholic . The parents are raising her son with the help of Ritalin .The brother always fight with the father.. and partner is the black sheep for getting the h**l out ...It sounded horrendous.
I had said ..in passing to ED at that time ,that it would be warm enough to go in our pool to teach granddaughter to swim.. I got a WhatsApp. photo from the partner showing him, in a blow up pool at his parents house with his daughter...teaching her to swim!!
I know he is super competitive ... but really.?.
Maybe I blew it this time as well. We of course missed Christmas with the baby, and her 2nd birthday in January. I told ED however, that we had bought her a tricycle that she would get when they came in February
I will let you know if I get a photo of my granddaughter on a bike

Meanwhile ED blithely re-made her plans to come for the whole of March.!!! Booked flights etc without telling us ..We have one spare guests room .. My friends were really good about it and have re.booked us for later this month .I have cancelled my appointment in Manchester . I will forgo / change club dates etc ,as I usually do, Is it me ?
My American friend said she needed to grow some ' Lady Balls' My French friend just sighed and said it was the same with her. and her Canadian DIL.'s parents ,My English friends have said 'Oh Dear '

Old Feb 15th 2020, 3:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Was going to try to get to bed before midnight tonight, so in the next 45 minutes, but an email from the property management company managing the UK rentals has put paid to that.

It said that the partner of one of my tenants has reported that the roof off a large outbuilding has blown off. I've got to know the tenant a bit over the years through emails etc and know he keeps his music equipment in there. Anyway, the company said they're sending their roofer to estimate repairs, but in the meantime could I arrange to have a temporary cover put on the roof. FMD, they know I live in Australia, what the hell am I supposed to do from here, plus that's their job.

While trying to work out what, if anything, I can do from here, they casually drop in that my tenant is in hospital 'and is terminal'. Apart from feeling so very sorry for him, I'm so angry, they had no right to tell me that. If he wanted me to know he'd have told me himself. I'm off to either put out of fire or f'n well light one, right under someone. And to feel devastated for a gentle man in his early 50s who's obviously very ill.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 3:52 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Was going to try to get to bed before midnight tonight, so in the next 45 minutes, but an email from the property management company managing the UK rentals has put paid to that.

It said that the partner of one of my tenants has reported that the roof off a large outbuilding has blown off. I've got to know the tenant a bit over the years through emails etc and know he keeps his music equipment in there. Anyway, the company said they're sending their roofer to estimate repairs, but in the meantime could I arrange to have a temporary cover put on the roof. FMD, they know I live in Australia, what the hell am I supposed to do from here, plus that's their job.

While trying to work out what, if anything, I can do from here, they casually drop in that my tenant is in hospital 'and is terminal'. Apart from feeling so very sorry for him, I'm so angry, they had no right to tell me that. If he wanted me to know he'd have told me himself. I'm off to either put out of fire or f'n well light one, right under someone. And to feel devastated for a gentle man in his early 50s who's obviously very ill.
That is crap on so many levels.

They need to sort it out, isn't that what they are paid to do? Then they need to let you know what they have sorted out and not worry the tenant or his partner.

Sometimes people have no sense whatsoever .

I hope your tenant and partner can have the peace and stressless time they need right now. So sad.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 4:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
That is crap on so many levels.

They need to sort it out, isn't that what they are paid to do? Then they need to let you know what they have sorted out and not worry the tenant or his partner.

Sometimes people have no sense whatsoever .

I hope your tenant and partner can have the peace and stressless time they need right now. So sad.
A lovely message, thanks SM. They're 'going to do their very best to sort it out'. Jolly nice of them, the wankers.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 4:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The property management company needs to sort that out. Tell them that the clue lies in the word "management" - and that doesn't mean assigning tasks to their clients.

And yes, sharing personal health information without authorization is right out.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 5:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The property management company needs to sort that out. Tell them that the clue lies in the word "management" - and that doesn't mean assigning tasks to their clients.

And yes, sharing personal health information without authorization is right out.
My sympathies Spouse of Scouse - but why am I not surprised?

I've never found management companies to be particularly responsive or effective in "emergency" situations.... they are geared more to the legal/bureaucratic side.
There may be a slight excuse that with two named storms over two weekends the management company have hit the buffers dealing with the number of issues they have to deal with, so they're just trying to offload rather than get hit by complaints for doing nothing. A slight excuse, but not much and still their problem to deal with. As far as they're concerned, they've followed the rules and engaged for the repairs..... but as to doing something in the here and now........forget it.

As to passing on the information regarding your client's health issues, I'm sure their excuse will be that they are just "keeping you informed". Cynically, I think it's just a heads up that you'll be needing a new client soon......
Old Feb 15th 2020, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Tabloids harassing people so much, they take their own life !
RIP Carolyn Flack

Don't know much about her but the fact that scum like the Sun, Mail etc. are frantically deleting articles reveals a lot.
There should be a law against this sort of behaviour.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 7:48 pm
Oscar nominated

...property management company...they know I live in Australia, what the hell am I supposed to do from here.
Which is presumably the idea behind using one.

I looked into it once when running mine started to get difficult. It was never clear to me what you got for the fee. IIRC the fees on the one enquiry I made were 10% of the chargeable rent. Note that's not 10% of rent received, but 10% of the rent charged. So they get 10% of whatever you set the rent as, regardless of whether there are tenants. No incentive, then, for them to find a tenant when one gives notice.

It seemed to me that this particular management company was no more than a rent collector. I took it no further. When stress got too much, I decided to sell instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.