Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Feb 13th 2020, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Hmm. I think its more likely destruction by companies like Bayer and Monsanto with their 'killer' insecticide sprays like the deadly 'Round Up'( now sold under another name by Bayer ) It has been recorded as killing one woman's one million bees on her honey farm ( in the USA) with one out fo control crop sprayer
A recent scientific paper published in Germany found that the use of Leaf Blowers in domestic gardens accounted for the death of 75% of the insect life.. and also harmed animals like hedgehogs and field mice etc... So its not only about a few hot weeks a year
Do you have a link for that? I can't find anything that relates to that. Some research on the effects on bees guts but not that particular case.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 2:36 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Do you have a link for that? I can't find anything that relates to that. Some research on the effects on bees guts but not that particular case.
We use glyphosate in work, so this topic comes up a lot especially with the lawsuits in the US over it's effects on human health. I couldn't find any information on that specific incident. Most results seemed to suggest that it may be harmful to honey bees, but nothing concrete. This is a 2 year old article that seemed pretty typical.

I do know that we have reduced or stopped using the insecticide imidacloprid because of its apparent toxicity towards bees, but that's all I am aware of.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Today i think i have learnt i am allergic to paint in Spain.Because every time i paint i start to get a tight chest and cough a lot.Which is a shame really because i just love to paint
Old Feb 13th 2020, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

We can blame companies for making X product that kills bees, but at the end of the day these companies would not produce these products if consumers stopped buying them, consumer meaning any entity who buys said product, not necessarily an individual although round up sells like hot cakes in spring at the consumer retail level and the government is also known to spray large swaths of forests with it to kill non-desirable trees aka trees with no financial value to logging.

glyphosate has so much conflicting info, I don't even know what to believe anymore, but its not a product I have ever bought or used. just hard to keep track of what info is accurate, what might be accurate, and what is just made up.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 13th 2020 at 8:02 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
We use glyphosate in work, so this topic comes up a lot especially with the lawsuits in the US over it's effects on human health. I couldn't find any information on that specific incident. Most results seemed to suggest that it may be harmful to honey bees, but nothing concrete. This is a 2 year old article that seemed pretty typical.

I do know that we have reduced or stopped using the insecticide imidacloprid because of its apparent toxicity towards bees, but that's all I am aware of.
That link is pretty much all I could find - various publications on the same report.

You can foster honey bees here. I picked up a leaflet a year or so back and was going to do it then I forgot. Must dig it out. You provide the land and they do everything else and give you some free honey as a thank you.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:25 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
That link is pretty much all I could find - various publications on the same report.

You can foster honey bees here. I picked up a leaflet a year or so back and was going to do it then I forgot. Must dig it out. You provide the land and they do everything else and give you some free honey as a thank you.
How does that work, you just let them stick a hive in your back yard and boom - free honey? Because that sounds dope.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

How does that work, you just let them stick a hive in your back yard and boom - free honey? Because that sounds dope.

I want one.

As long as the swarming is kept to a minimum.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:41 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I want one.

As long as the swarming is kept to a minimum.
I feel like swarming is just a reality of bee stewardship that you have to come to terms with.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like swarming is just a reality of bee stewardship that you have to come to terms with.
Maybe they could swarm by advance notice, on fixed days of the week.

I'm very pro bee. Not only is honey great stuff (you have to get past the fact that it's bee vomit) but if we don't have bees and some other pollinators, we won't have food.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:45 pm
Hail Satan!

Maybe they could swarm by advance notice, on fixed days of the week.
This is a reasonable compromise.

I'm very pro bee. Not only is honey great stuff (you have to get past the fact that it's bee vomit) but if we don't have bees and some other pollinators, we won't have food.
We eat things that come out of a chicken's cloaca, I feel like coming to terms with the source of honey should be easy after that.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd need a fairly big "back yard" that you don't want to use for much else - Little kids (and some bigger ones) also tend to be intimidated by bees particularly in the dozens.

As I live "in the sticks" both in the UK and Portugal, beekeeping is not uncommon - but for each hive you need a good few square metres of space to allow for "traffic" (although muliple hives can overlap and just increase the overall area required). In Portugal the hives tend to be stuck at the far end of a field for that reason.... the bees are very active when it's warm (in January, the noise of "visitors" to the Rosemary and Lavender around my house (as well as to the flowers on the clover I'd not removed ) was pretty intrusive (in a nice, bee-buzzing kind of way )

Also, my neighbours in Portugal make "água-mel" (honey water) from the combs, etc. - which are washed in hot water to clean off the remaining honey, pollen and propolis ("bee glue") and the resulting liquid is then reduced over several hours to become a thick syrup, with a taste quite different to honey. This syrup is then used as a sweetener and in recipes, but also has a reputation as a medicine and has been proven to reduce fungal and bacterial infection. Not bad for a bit of recycling!

Last edited by macliam; Feb 14th 2020 at 3:17 pm. Reason: poor Portuguese ........
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:10 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I think you'd need a fairly big "back yard" that you don't want to use for much else - Little kids (and some bigger ones) also tend to be intimidated by bees particularly in the dozens.

As I live "in the sticks" both in the UK and Portugal, beekeeping is not uncommon - but for each hive you need a good few square metres of space to allow for "traffic" (although muliple hives can overlap and just increase the overall area required). In Portugal the hives tend to be stuck at the far end of a field for that reason.... the bees are very active when it's warm (in January, the noise of "visitors" to the Rosemary and Lavender around my house (as well as to the flowers on the clover I'd not removed ) was pretty intrusive (in a nice, bee-buzzing kind of way )

Also, my neighbours in Portugal make "agua de mel" (honey water) from the combs, etc. - which are washed in hot water to clean off the remaining honey, pollen and propolis ("bee glue") and the resulting liquid is then reduced over several hours to become a thick syrup, with a taste quite different to honey. This syrup is then used as a sweetener and in recipes, but also has a reputation as a medicine and has been proven to reduce bacterial infection. Not bad for a bit of recycling!
I could just bung it at the very far back corner and forget about it, but yeah, probably not practical unless you have an acre or something. I don't want to get stung while I'm cutting the grass or anything.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

Also, my neighbours in Portugal make "água-mel" (honey water) from the combs, etc. - which are washed in hot water to clean off the remaining honey, pollen and propolis ("bee glue") and the resulting liquid is then reduced over several hours to become a thick syrup, with a taste quite different to honey. This syrup is then used as a sweetener and in recipes, but also has a reputation as a medicine and has been proven to reduce fungal and bacterial infection. Not bad for a bit of recycling!

The Romans put honey on wounds to prevent infection, the clever sods. Also spider webs.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:27 pm
Hail Satan!

The Romans put honey on wounds to prevent infection, the clever sods. Also spider webs.
Yeah but apart from that, what did they ever do for us?
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:41 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Yessss, but then, the Romans tried just about everything, so they were bound to come up trumps sometime.
How about ground beaver meat with vinegar and rose oil to treat flatulence? But only as a liquid, in solid form it was a cure for epilepsy.
Or maybe bull’s bile mashed with wormwood as a suppository to cure constipation?
Or sprinkling wine in which a chameleon had been soaked on the sufferer’s head to cure a headache?

.....Can't understand why we don't use them today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.