Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:32 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Only 2 schools in all of BC that ever offer the training, so really quite limited to even get the training.

Yeah we don't have to rely on health insurance as much here, but if you get a job with good extended health, its hard to leave it since good extended health benefits are hard to come by, so once you have them, you don't want to give them up, but at least basic health coverage isn't tied to employment so that is a plus. If you get cancer or a heart attack or stroke or something serious you wont end up in debt, and don't have to worry about insurance companies, you just get treated.

And healthcare jobs love casual employment, one week get 0, then next 40 and everything in between.
Same shit, different bucket eh.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Only 2 schools in all of BC that ever offer the training, so really quite limited to even get the training.

Yeah we don't have to rely on health insurance as much here, but if you get a job with good extended health, its hard to leave it since good extended health benefits are hard to come by, so once you have them, you don't want to give them up, but at least basic health coverage isn't tied to employment so that is a plus. If you get cancer or a heart attack or stroke or something serious you wont end up in debt, and don't have to worry about insurance companies, you just get treated.

And healthcare jobs love casual employment, one week get 0, then next 40 and everything in between.

I had no idea Canada was this difficult. For some reason I thought of them as a centre of social development and enlightenment, with the exception of how they have treated their indigenous communities. Obviously I was wrong.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I had no idea Canada was this difficult. For some reason I thought of them as a centre of social development and enlightenment, with the exception of how they have treated their indigenous communities. Obviously I was wrong.
No, that's us. Social development, enlightenment, etc, probably a few other things around science and the arts. Basic healthcare is nice, but an extended plan through work is better; basic dental, some help with glasses, and a percentage of wages while you heal up if you need surgery. Some of those things are covered to a degree for those on social assistance, but the under-employed are in often in trouble for vision and dental.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Same shit, different bucket eh.
Pretty much. lol

Canada strives to only be a little bit better then the US, they are happy ranking at the bottom of most western countries just as long as we rank above the US, healthcare we are at the bottom, but a few steps above the US, so Canadian's can say hey we are better, ignoring the fact that nearly every other western country does healthcare better...lol

I very well admit I might be jaded because of location, Vancouver ranks just behind Hong Kong for costs, and local incomes are nowhere close to where they need to be.

Your average home is over 1 million, a tear down pushes nearly 1 million, a decent 1 bedroom condo will be over 1/2 million. Yeah so I might be jaded a bit...

Hard to be motivated and stay positive when you know there is 0% chance of ever earning 6 figures and having a decent life, I know its just going to be more struggle, one thing that never seems to happen is costs going down, everything only seems to go up and up except wages of course. I peaked earnings wise in 2004 when I made 31,000 and some change, ever year since has been 27,000 or less but in 2004 rent was only $560 per month where now our below market rental is $1,750. We are just lucky utility companies here are very nice, as long as we pay something they keep things on, but we carry a balance every month, to be honest I am surprised how nice the utility companies are. lol

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 31st 2020 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 9:24 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much. lol

Canada strives to only be a little bit better then the US, they are happy ranking at the bottom of most western countries just as long as we rank above the US, healthcare we are at the bottom, but a few steps above the US, so Canadian's can say hey we are better, ignoring the fact that nearly every other western country does healthcare better...lol
That's like the ultimate case of whataboutism. Shit sucks.

I very well admit I might be jaded because of location, Vancouver ranks just behind Hong Kong for costs, and local incomes are nowhere close to where they need to be.

Your average home is over 1 million, a tear down pushes nearly 1 million, a decent 1 bedroom condo will be over 1/2 million. Yeah so I might be jaded a bit...
Toronto is much the same, I'm sure, as are most of the cities. Much like the US, you'll probably find houses much cheaper away from the cities, but unlike at least my part of the US, away from the cities up there could also mean a 50+ km commute to work, so that adds more problems than it causes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Hard to be motivated and stay positive when you know there is 0% chance of ever earning 6 figures and having a decent life, I know its just going to be more struggle, one thing that never seems to happen is costs going down, everything only seems to go up and up except wages of course. I peaked earnings wise in 2004 when I made 31,000 and some change, ever year since has been 27,000 or less but in 2004 rent was only $560 per month where now our below market rental is $1,750. We are just lucky utility companies here are very nice, as long as we pay something they keep things on, but we carry a balance every month, to be honest I am surprised how nice the utility companies are. lol
I'm not even that arsed about making 6 figures. At least by myself, our household income is hovering around there, but it's not a be all end all for me. All I want is to be able to put my time in somewhere that isn't too stressful until I'm 70. I gave up on the ship sailing on me being able to something I actually care about when I couldn't get my shit together at university. So I guess this is my punishment for being a dumbass at 18. I'm jaded because I'm utterly dissatisfied, but it is an entirely self-inflicted situation as well.

I still keep my fingers crossed for you that you can somehow find your way back to, or around Milwaukee again like you have talked about. Yeah, you'll have the struggles of insurance and all that, but Milwaukee is an affordable city in North American terms, and your dollar should go much farther in Wisconsin. No sales tax on food helps there, things like that. Winters suck, of course.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Milwaukee is an affordable city in North American terms, and your dollar should go much farther in Wisconsin. No sales tax on food helps there, things like that.
You mean some places do have sales tax on food?
It's only on "luxury" and/or prepared food (restaurants/take-aways etc) here.

Buy shrimps and there's no tax unless it comes in a ring and then there is.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 10:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to be motivated and stay positive when you know there is 0% chance of ever earning 6 figures and having a decent life
If you're waiting to make $100,000+ without being a professional or a highly skilled tradesman you have a long wait coming, so the best course is continue to work with what you've got and make what you can of it until something better comes along. Keep hammering out the resume's and picking up temp work when you can. Even with my Canada Pension and Old Age Pension and my wages I don't make half that much (even though it's more than I've ever made), and I've been working for nearly 50 years and won't be getting any company pension. 65 and counting and damned lucky to still have a job, and lucky that they seem to appreciate my work. When I started part-time at the bar in 1982 nobody would have guessed that now I'm almost the only one left. It started with 4 hours a week and now it's keeping me going.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
If you're waiting to make $100,000+ without being a professional or a highly skilled tradesman you have a long wait coming, so the best course is continue to work with what you've got and make what you can of it until something better comes along. Keep hammering out the resume's and picking up temp work when you can. Even with my Canada Pension and Old Age Pension and my wages I don't make half that much (even though it's more than I've ever made), and I've been working for nearly 50 years and won't be getting any company pension. 65 and counting and damned lucky to still have a job, and lucky that they seem to appreciate my work. When I started part-time at the bar in 1982 nobody would have guessed that now I'm almost the only one left. It started with 4 hours a week and now it's keeping me going.
Oh I never expect to make 6 figures, just pointing out that 6 figures is needed to have a decent quality of life in Vancouver because of the high cost of housing.

BC in general isn't affordable, even small towns are expensive and you need a car in almost all of them which increases costs even more, and most small towns lack the medical care my wife needs so we really are stuck.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 31st 2020 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's like the ultimate case of whataboutism. Shit sucks.

Toronto is much the same, I'm sure, as are most of the cities. Much like the US, you'll probably find houses much cheaper away from the cities, but unlike at least my part of the US, away from the cities up there could also mean a 50+ km commute to work, so that adds more problems than it causes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm not even that arsed about making 6 figures. At least by myself, our household income is hovering around there, but it's not a be all end all for me. All I want is to be able to put my time in somewhere that isn't too stressful until I'm 70. I gave up on the ship sailing on me being able to something I actually care about when I couldn't get my shit together at university. So I guess this is my punishment for being a dumbass at 18. I'm jaded because I'm utterly dissatisfied, but it is an entirely self-inflicted situation as well.

I still keep my fingers crossed for you that you can somehow find your way back to, or around Milwaukee again like you have talked about. Yeah, you'll have the struggles of insurance and all that, but Milwaukee is an affordable city in North American terms, and your dollar should go much farther in Wisconsin. No sales tax on food helps there, things like that. Winters suck, of course.

I guess I never had a passion so just floated through life job to job. I often wish I had been able to just get a government job like my dad, sure he hated it, but it provided a solid stable income for 37 years with a solid pension at the end and as it was a school district he generally got 1 week of for spring break, 2 weeks at Christmas, 4 weeks over the summer + random holidays though the year and like 5 weeks a year of vacation on top.

Old Jan 31st 2020, 10:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Oh I never expect to make 6 figures, just pointing out that 6 figures is needed to have a decent quality of life in Vancouver because of the high cost of housing.
BC in general isn't affordable, even small towns are expensive and you need a car in almost all of them which increases costs even more, and most small towns lack the medical care my wife needs so we really are stuck.
Correct all around, for the most part. My friends in East Van had their rental sold out from under them and lost a roomy old house that was $1300 but were lucky to get a smaller basement suite for $1500. Before they had the house they lived in a nasty small basement suite in Kits for about 5 years waiting for something better, then in a big house near the Drive with friends for a few years. Moving to try to save $100 or so isn't worth the stress or effort; only when it's something worthwhile is a household move worthwhile. Oliver isn't bad for rent but work is scarce, and the majority advertised are low paying hard labour in the orchards and vineyards and service jobs in hotels and motels, and most of those are seasonal. Penticton isn't a bad commute, but it's still a commute and the job market will probably look like endless retail and no fun. The airport is pretty sleepy by most standards. Just for shits and giggles start checking out the buy and sell in the Oliver Daily News and see what the rentals are like (not often, but they do come up occasionally).
https://oliverdailynews.com/classifi...se-categories/
There's a bit of hot weather in summer, and it's fairly gray in winter, but overall it's not bad. It's what they call the High Desert. Big new industries are a prison and a marijuana farm.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 31st 2020 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Correct all around, for the most part. My friends in East Van had their rental sold out from under them and lost a roomy old house that was $1300 but were lucky to get a smaller basement suite for $1500. Before they had the house they lived in a nasty small basement suite in Kits for about 5 years waiting for something better, then in a big house near the Drive with friends for a few years. Moving to try to save $100 or so isn't worth the stress or effort; only when it's something worthwhile is a household move worthwhile. Oliver isn't bad for rent but work is scarce, and the majority advertised are low paying hard labour in the orchards and vineyards and service jobs in hotels and motels, and most of those are seasonal. Penticton isn't a bad commute, but it's still a commute and the job market will probably look like endless retail and no fun. The airport is pretty sleepy by most standards. Just for shits and giggles start checking out the buy and sell in the Oliver Daily News and see what the rentals are like (not often, but they do come up occasionally).
https://oliverdailynews.com/classifi...se-categories/
There's a bit of hot weather in summer, and it's fairly gray in winter, but overall it's not bad. It's what they call the High Desert. Big new industries are a prison and a marijuana farm.
I'll take a look. We were looking into Kelowna, but goodness rents there are expensive, seems to be a trend in BC, where there are jobs the rent is high, where the rent is low limited employment.

If I didn't have back, neck and knee issues, physical wouldn't be so bad, but my body is broken these days, I am not aging well that is for sure.

My wife had a job offer on the sunshine coast a few months back, but man the rents were just too high, on par with what we are paying in Vancouver but the salary wasn't high enough to justify the move, plus we couldnt come up with the funds, its crazy expensive to move even when doing it yourself via Uhaul, the truck rental alone was over 1k.

Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Even with my Canada Pension and Old Age Pension and my wages I don't make half that much...
I did my tax return today. $17,700.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:53 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I did my tax return today. $17,700.
That you have to pay? Ouch, if so. Do they not do a pay as you go in Canada.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 1:12 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That you have to pay? Ouch, if so. Do they not do a pay as you go in Canada.

My Income.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

My Income.
I think that's better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.