Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jan 30th 2020, 5:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Doesn't help that he's in Fairview. Even Grande Prairie is a 2 hour drive away and that's not exactly a bustling metropolis. I'm happy to spend a few bucks to send him some little bits and bobs to pay him back for drinking all his coffee the last time I was up there.
I have a friend in Bluesky! Small world.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 5:14 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I have a friend in Bluesky! Small world.
Small world indeed. I have 100% been through (or past) Bluesky on Route 2, but I had no idea it was even there until I just looked it up on the map.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm often having to send things up to my mate in AB because you guys always get rinsed on shipping up there.
Yes shipping to or from Canada is expensive, it's one reason we don't have as robust e-commerce as some countries, a small item can cost $15-$20 to ship and often for small orders the shipping exceeds the cost of the item itself...lol

The item I was looking at, the shipping US to Canada is $14.77 which as you can see exceeds the value of the item. $14.77 US$ = $19.52 CAD$.

High of goods and services along with high housing costs is what makes living in Canada a struggle, if we had US level prices life would be so much easier. Not like wages on the low end are much if any higher here, $15 CAD per hour is $11.35 US$ so a buck goes further down south.

Premium pricing without premium wages should be the motto of Canada..

If it wasn't for my wife needing frequent doctors visits and prescriptions we would move as fast as we could, but healthcare costs in the US would be too great with chronic health issue, so we are stuck, but our quality of life would be so much higher south of the border otherwise, damn healthcare is what prevents it.

Guess I get jaded when full-time job wont even cover rent after taxes/deductions. Pretty sad really, if not for disability we would be homeless, its the only reason we are not.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 30th 2020 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:46 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Yes shipping to or from Canada is expensive, it's one reason we don't have as robust e-commerce as some countries, a small item can cost $15-$20 to ship and often for small orders the shipping exceeds the cost of the item itself...lol

The item I was looking at, the shipping US to Canada is $14.77 which as you can see exceeds the value of the item. $14.77 US$ = $19.52 CAD$.

High of goods and services along with high housing costs is what makes living in Canada a struggle, if we had US level prices life would be so much easier. Not like wages on the low end are much if any higher here, $15 CAD per hour is $11.35 US$ so a buck goes further down south.

Premium pricing without premium wages should be the motto of Canada..

If it wasn't for my wife needing frequent doctors visits and prescriptions we would move as fast as we could, but healthcare costs in the US would be too great with chronic health issue, so we are stuck, but our quality of life would be so much higher south of the border otherwise, damn healthcare is what prevents it.

Guess I get jaded when full-time job wont even cover rent after taxes/deductions. Pretty sad really, if not for disability we would be homeless, its the only reason we are not.
Yeah, it's just expensive up there in general, so I can understand why you'd get jaded, I would be the same.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's just expensive up there in general, so I can understand why you'd get jaded, I would be the same.
I think many here are becoming more jaded and frustrated and with Amazon and other tech companies bringing in thousands of more people over the next few years things will only get worse. Good for tech workers but screws the rest of us.

Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think many here are becoming more jaded and frustrated and with Amazon and other tech companies bringing in thousands of more people over the next few years things will only get worse. Good for tech workers but screws the rest of us.
Is the cost of living really higher in Canada than the US? There are a lot of poor and homeless people in the US as well as here. I was looking up minimum wage standards in both countries this morning and it didn't look like someone in a low paying job in the states would have it any easier.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 8:06 pm
Doin' It Right

I mean, that's pretty much the way things are going everywhere. It just sucks all round.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is the cost of living really higher in Canada than the US? There are a lot of poor and homeless people in the US as well as here. I was looking up minimum wage standards in both countries this morning and it didn't look like someone in a low paying job in the states would have it any easier.
I can only speak for the areas of Canada and US I have lived, but yes in general So. California vs Vancouver, your basic everyday needs are largely cheaper especially food, gas, car insurance and you tend to get more bang for your buck for rent as well, nice place, more amenities.

California min wage is currently $12 US$ per hour vs $13.85 CAD in BC. Both BC and California will be at $15/hr in local currency by 2022. California hits $15 in 2022 and BC in 2021. $15/hr in the US goes further compared to $15/hr in BC.

I for the most part always found my dollar went further in the US, and overall had a better life with some disposable income to travel and do fun things vs just existing...lol

Prices are between No Frills in Vancouver and Food4Less in San Diego area, and are in local currency, so US is US$ and Canada in CAD$. I randomly chose items we buy most often and chose the least expensive option.

Milk- 2%
US- 2.79
CA- 4.49

Eggs- 1 dozen
US- 1.79
CA- 2.77

Shredded cheese-
US- 1.79 (0.80 per 100 grams)
CA- 5.77 (1.80 per 100 grams)

Cheese block
US- 4.49 (453 grams)
CA- 5.57 (400 grams)

Oatmeal
US- 1.79 (1.19kg)
CA- 2.47 (1kg)

Apples (3lb bag)
US- 2.99
CA- 4.97

Oranges-
US- 0.50 per pound
CA- 1.97 per pound

Yogurt worked out to the same at 0.30 per 100 grams, the US sizes are bigger but per 100g the price was 0.29 vs 0.30 so basically the same.

Chicken drumstick 12 in each pack both countries-
US- 7.05
CA- 8.78

Plain white bread
US- 0.99 (566g)
CA- 2.67 (570g)

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 30th 2020 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Are those prices in US or CAD, or are they in both? I found the grocery prices in St Pete's significantly higher than I pay in Regina. I was just grocery shopping at GT an hour ago and paid $1.44 for 700g lite rye bread. 18 large eggs are $4.77 at No Frills. Dollar stores down there had gruyere cheese (not Laughing Cow but still good) for $1, which you'll never see up here, but it was a sale. I brought some of that back. Folks in Oliver still go down to Oroville and bring back some items that are duty free, but nothing like before the Exchange rate went to shit.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I mean, that's pretty much the way things are going everywhere. It just sucks all round.
It seems to be. Jobs are becoming too high tech for the average person, and with automation I suspect even finding jobs will be come more difficult with time. They claim low unemployment and that there are more jobs than workers but yet I can't find a job despite applying to hundreds of places, so many I lost I track, so I suspect the worker shortages are in specific fields likely requiring specific skills and not an all around shortage of workers.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:29 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

BE
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are those prices in US or CAD, or are they in both? I found the grocery prices in St Pete's significantly higher than I pay in Regina. I was just grocery shopping at GT an hour ago and paid $1.44 for 700g lite rye bread. 18 large eggs are $4.77 at No Frills. Dollar stores down there had gruyere cheese (not Laughing Cow but still good) for $1, which you'll never see up here, but it was a sale. I brought some of that back. Folks in Oliver still go down to Oroville and bring back some items that are duty free, but nothing like before the Exchange rate went to shit.
Local currency so CA = CAD$ and US = US$, I didn't fuss with the exchange since people in each country will be using local currency.

I suspect we pay higher prices in Vancouver/BC than elsewhere in Canada as well but I dunno for sure. At the 99 cent stores in So. California you can get a variety of groceries for 99 cents including dairy and produce.

Rent in say San Diego is pretty on par with Vancouver, but you do tend to get higher quality rental with more amenities, most apartment complexes have swimming pools as basic minimum with many also having tennis courts, Jacuzzi and gyms along with outdoor yard space. Rentals in BC are generally fairly low quality unless your high income and can rent the luxury places.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 30th 2020 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
BE
What, all of it?
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
BE
I'm sorry.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:34 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I'm sorry.

Probably not your fault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.