Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
My friend, you must never been in the presence of a Portuguese female "speaking" on the phone. It is well known that the telephone was not invented in Portugal because there was no need for it....... and no telephone in the country appears to have a volume control. Anyone who has had the experience might also lie to surmise why it takes several minutes to end a call, finally asking the listener's permission to do so.
Ah-Ha!!
I thought I recognised the guy in front of me last time at the câmara municipal... . The sound-effects are complimentary y'know
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Housing is so frustrating.

This is an example of a co-op building that is supposed to help with housing affordability but then they tack on minimum income.

1b - $1,475 - your family unit income should be $53,100 minimum.

That rent is $275 less per month vs our current rent, but because we don't make the minimum income we don't qualify, this is an issue we keep running into.

We are too low income for moderate income housing, but not poor enough to actually get into a low income unit, so we end up paying market rate rent which eats up like 85% of our income each month.

It just pisses me off so much, $275 a month savings may not seem like a lot, but for us it would be a huge improvement.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Housing is so frustrating.

This is an example of a co-op building that is supposed to help with housing affordability but then they tack on minimum income.

That rent is $275 less per month vs our current rent, but because we don't make the minimum income we don't qualify, this is an issue we keep running into.

We are too low income for moderate income housing, but not poor enough to actually get into a low income unit, so we end up paying market rate rent which eats up like 85% of our income each month.

It just pisses me off so much, $275 a month savings may not seem like a lot, but for us it would be a huge improvement.
Sorry, that's the usual outcome from such "slice and dice" programmes - common sense seems to be as rare as rocking horse droppings. The same thing happens with many benefits in the UK, but with the system in place it actually encourages some people NOT to work. Universal Benefit was "sold" as being an answer to the anomalies, but has actually just created new ones - including some bureaucrat's assertion that "most people" are paid monthly, so benefits should follow the same pattern - ignoring the fact that this leaves vulnerable people potentially exposed and without access to funds.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 1:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can't have affordable rent because your income is too high? That's so cockeyed that it makes my head hurt.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, that's the usual outcome from such "slice and dice" programmes - common sense seems to be as rare as rocking horse droppings. The same thing happens with many benefits in the UK, but with the system in place it actually encourages some people NOT to work. Universal Benefit was "sold" as being an answer to the anomalies, but has actually just created new ones - including some bureaucrat's assertion that "most people" are paid monthly, so benefits should follow the same pattern - ignoring the fact that this leaves vulnerable people potentially exposed and without access to funds.
In BC where I am disability and social assistance provides funds once per month.

Companies though have to pay their employees minimum 2 times per month.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
You can't have affordable rent because your income is too high? That's so cockeyed that it makes my head hurt.
Our income is too low for the place in my original post, 53,100 is the minimum income they require to qualify.

Subsidized housing has no minimum, income but they do have maximum incomes, example for our category the max gross annual income to stay eligible is $51,500 per year for Vancouver. (lower in other regions.) our income is below that so we do qualify for subsidized housing, there is just such a severe shortage of it, qualifying doesn't mean getting into subsidized housing.

If that makes sense, sorry I am not sure if I am always explaining things correctly.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

In BC where I am disability and social assistance provides funds once per month.

Companies though have to pay their employees minimum 2 times per month.

Our income is too low for the place in my original post, 53,100 is the minimum income they require to qualify.

Subsidized housing has no minimum, income but they do have maximum incomes, example for our category the max gross annual income to stay eligible is $51,500 per year for Vancouver. (lower in other regions.) our income is below that so we do qualify for subsidized housing, there is just such a severe shortage of it, qualifying doesn't mean getting into subsidized housing.

If that makes sense, sorry I am not sure if I am always explaining things correctly.
Sorry, I meant to write 'you can't have affordable rent because your income is too low'. Brain fart Yes, everything you said makes perfect sense, you explained it well
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, that's the usual outcome from such "slice and dice" programmes - common sense seems to be as rare as rocking horse droppings. The same thing happens with many benefits in the UK, but with the system in place it actually encourages some people NOT to work. Universal Benefit was "sold" as being an answer to the anomalies, but has actually just created new ones...

I remember reading about rules in this province whereby there is a monthly rate of social assistance (SA) and if one is disabled, instead of a higher rate, there's a one-off payment of $1000 providing one remains eligible for for the SA. There were cases where recipients saw a small rise in their employment pensions that took them a couple $$ above the SA rate. For the sake of a monthly gain of a couple of $$, they lost the whole $1000.

I have prescription drug coverage via joint private/province scheme whereby I pay $16 a month premium and $5 per prescription (I have 9) but any variation in income - most likely due to fluctuations in the exchange rate when converting my small UK civil service pension - sees me going onto the higher rate of $33 a month and $10 per drug.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Atlantic Canada area seems not a good place to be disabled.

BC varies by family composition. $1,183 max for a single person.

ON was not bad but not sure if Ford cut back or not. SK was decent but I beleive they made changes a couple years ago but not 100% sure.

Biggest problem is when on provincial disability you are more or less stuck in that province. Unless you have family in another province who can provide housing and such while finding doctors and applying over in the new province. Status and benefits dont move provinces.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

I remember reading about rules in this province whereby there is a monthly rate of social assistance (SA) and if one is disabled, instead of a higher rate, there's a one-off payment of $1000 providing one remains eligible for for the SA. There were cases where recipients saw a small rise in their employment pensions that took them a couple $$ above the SA rate. For the sake of a monthly gain of a couple of $$, they lost the whole $1000.

I have prescription drug coverage via joint private/province scheme whereby I pay $16 a month premium and $5 per prescription (I have 9) but any variation in income - most likely due to fluctuations in the exchange rate when converting my small UK civil service pension - sees me going onto the higher rate of $33 a month and $10 per drug.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 7:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Atlantic Canada area seems not a good place to be disabled.....
I think that depends on the disability, whether one is in an appropriate care system for it already. and a couple of other factors.

If one gets a disability benefit via CPP, then that would follow to another province.
My wife was disabled, got no allowance for it at all, but her 6 weekly infusions of a few thousand a time were completely funded by the province here but wouldn't have been in other provinces.
Not a disability, but for my diabetes I would have received something like $100 a month towards needles and test strips in Ontario whereas here I have to pay full cost. But my prescription co-pays in Ontario and other provinces would be double or more than they are here.
More importantly rent here is probably about a third of the cost of a comparable city on Ontario and that saving alone would more than make up the loss of $100 a month for test strips.

Your provincial disability money is a very good safety net (as we went into by PM previously) that you wouldn't get here (nor most other provinces) but for others, the saving on housing costs would likely more than make up for the loss of any province money that didn't follow. It's really unfortunate that for you it seems to trap you in BC, either with high housing costs in and around a city or with lower housing costs but in a very small town.

I can't remember where that place was now.

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes so many variables involved, hard to compare really. I know other provinces do have disability programs similiar to BC, but moving province means more or less being homeless, waiting for general assistance, finding a new doctors or doctors, applying and waiting and its not a short process, so its not really feasible for many on provincial programs to relocate. Ontario has ODSP for example, but from what I can tell the income exemption is only $200 a month before they cut benefits, BC does income on an annual basis instead of monthly, which is currently $12,000 per year before benefits are cut, which helps people, not all disabilities mean a person can't work, but they might only be able to work part of the year, part-time, etc, so BC program takes that into account.

If we could guarantee neither of us would relapse and could hold long term employment, we would certainly consider parts of Atlantic Canada, but we just can't guarantee that. If we were in your parts right now, good likely chance we would be homeless at the moment.

Diabetes supplies have some coverage in BC, depends on a few factors and may have to meet fair pharmacare deductible first (not sure) which is income based, annual limits for strips for example depends how one manages the disease, Managing diabetes with insulin and the annual limit is 3,000 strips, Managing diabetes with anti-diabetes medications with a high risk of causing hypoglycemia and its 400 strips, managing with lifestyle and diet and its 200 strips.

We do have fair pharmacare that everyone with MSP is eligible for and should apply for, the deductible depends on income, once deductible is met for the year its 70% coverage, and once the annual out of pocket is met its `100% coverage, but not all medications are covered and some require special authority to get coverage for.

BC is tricky when it comes to mental healthcare, the healthcare system is divided into health authorities and well some are pretty bad when it comes to mental health services, the bulk of mental health services are concentrated in Vancouver, which is why we live in Vancouver. For example the services my wife receives, if we moved 5km up the road to Burnaby she would no longer receive, and Burnaby is in a different health authority and they don't offer the same level of services, but she can't live in Burnaby and access services in Vancouver. One of the reason so many with mental health issues are in Vancouver is because this is where the services are, and where the bulk of social housing is, people go to where the services are.

Sure we could move up north to Northern BC, but we would be isolated since we would have no friends or family, and we would have limited services available and likely my wife's mental health would suffer, right now she has a case worker, and see's the doctor 1-2 times per month, for example when we lived in Chilliwack they have much worse mental health services and so she had no case worker at all, and could only access the psychiatrist 1-2 times per year.

She has done far better in Vancouver, they caught the manic episode before she had to be hospitalized where in Chilliwack she had no access to the psychiatrist on a regular basis, so the manic episode wasn't caught and she ended up in hospital in crises.

Even for physical health some services are only in Vancouver, my wife has a family friend who lives in a small town in central BC, they have an infant with cancer, and they spend more time in Vancouver than at home, and have racked up massive bills for hospital stays and transportation to/from Vancouver.

Plus up north has even less job opportunities, so there is that as well.

It is what it is. If only we could live Pt. Roberts but keep medical in BC, Point Roberts is attached to BC (not attached to the US at all) but is part of the US and because its part of the US, housing is a fraction of the cost, but of course would have to qualify for a mortgage, but living there isn't an option due to cost of healthcare in the US, oh and they have no hospital so any emergency requires air ambulance to Bellingham, or driving through Canada to get to Bellingham.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I think that depends on the disability, whether one is in an appropriate care system for it already. and a couple of other factors.

If one gets a disability benefit via CPP, then that would follow to another province.
My wife was disabled, got no allowance for it at all, but her 6 weekly infusions of a few thousand a time were completely funded by the province here but wouldn't have been in other provinces.
Not a disability, but for my diabetes I would have received something like $100 a month towards needles and test strips in Ontario whereas here I have to pay full cost. But my prescription co-pays in Ontario and other provinces would be double or more than they are here.
More importantly rent here is probably about a third of the cost of a comparable city on Ontario and that saving alone would more than make up the loss of $100 a month for test strips.

Your provincial disability money is a very good safety net (as we went into by PM previously) that you wouldn't get here (nor most other provinces) but for others, the saving on housing costs would likely more than make up for the loss of any province money that didn't follow. It's really unfortunate that for you it seems to trap you in BC, either with high housing costs in and around a city or with lower housing costs but in a very small town.

I can't remember where that place was now.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 10:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Million universal credit households ‘do not get full entitlement’
More than a million households on universal credit – 60% of everyone receiving the payments –are having their benefits cut to repay debts and loans. Data sourced under the Freedom of Information Act show that in May – the most recent month for which figures are available – 1,048,000 universal credit claimants had a deduction of their benefit payment out of 1,759,000 claimants who received any universal credit payment that month.
Nearly a third of all people on the troubled welfare scheme are having more than a fifth of their payment cut, often to repay loans that some claimants received to tide them over during the five-week wait for their first payment to arrive.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is the only person I know who can be on holiday for 2 months and come home 4 lbs lighter.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 5:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

So not "cut" really, just being asked to repay money they were lent in advance by the gov - sounds fair enough.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
My husband is the only person I know who can be on holiday for 2 months and come home 4 lbs lighter.
... Clearly it's a case of him having to do all the fretting and worrying?
Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

Was he carrying your suitcases?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.