Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:02 pm
  #8851  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,072
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Because he's partly old?
No Because he doesn't qualify for a full pension.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:06 pm
  #8852  
European
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen.
Posts: 3,418
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
...Or, better still, have it done electronically.
That's on the way here (allegedly), have id-card, can and will medicate.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And then have the pharmacist pop round and shove it down your throat so one doesn't even need to leave the house .
See, it was all going fine, then you blew it. Or maybe you've seen my pharmacist...

I'd be hiding in the shed.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:09 pm
  #8853  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,775
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

I would love to be able to email or electronically communicate with doctors, not so common here. That is a good system you have though, less wasted time. I think part of the issue is the way billing is done here is stuck in the past and doctors wont do anything really unless they can bill for it, which does seem to lead to a lot of wasted time for both patient and doctor, doctors will say oh we need to see you to make sure all is well, but I literally walk in, I need a refill, doctor prints RX and I walk out, there is no discussion of health, no exam, literally a total waste of time.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Here is a new thing to me, my doc will respond to an e-mail request for a repeat/refill request, if it's "in-scope" then the following morning the prescription will be pinned on the entrance lobby board-wall, so pluck'n'go, no need to waste her time. Never seen this approach before, but if it frees docs up for doing what docs do best, it's a winner.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:14 pm
  #8854  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,775
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

I am annoyed at my luck, its already hard enough to find jobs, and now because of my aging body who hates me, doctor say's I can't lift repetitively, can't lift anything heavy, and not to stand long periods of time. These restrictions eliminate like almost all low skill lol
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:32 pm
  #8855  
European
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen.
Posts: 3,418
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I would love to be able to email or electronically communicate with doctors, not so common here. That is a good system you have though, less wasted time. I think part of the issue is the way billing is done here is stuck in the past and doctors wont do anything really unless they can bill for it, which does seem to lead to a lot of wasted time for both patient and doctor, doctors will say oh we need to see you to make sure all is well, but I literally walk in, I need a refill, doctor prints RX and I walk out, there is no discussion of health, no exam, literally a total waste of time.
I'm hugely impressed with the fact that medics here aren't hung up on billing issues. Sure, everyone needs to get paid, if you have an ID card then it means that you're "in the system" which includes at least a basic health insurance. When I first arrived here I had no ID card (hence no 'recognised' medical insurance), but they did take credit cards. Cash payments were frowned on.

But now that I'm fully ID carded up, my medical insurers can see what happened at both doc's place or the pharmacy - and I can see their view by logging on to my insurance account. My pharmacy can see what doc wrote as a prescription.

I tend to use only one pharmacy, although there are are almost as many pharmacies in my village as tattoo parlours.

Strange, but true...
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:38 pm
  #8856  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,775
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

We used to have seperate health cards, but a few years ago they bundled the healthcard into drivers licenses and ID cards so most just have the single card now it seems.

I have more pharmacies and liquor stores within walking distance then I do geocery stores.....

I tend to go to the same pharmacy that it right next to my doctors office, its independent and they are nice. If I hsd to pay the dispensing fee though I would go somewhere cheaper but our filling is covered so doesnt matter which pharmacy.


Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm hugely impressed with the fact that medics here aren't hung up on billing issues. Sure, everyone needs to get paid, if you have an ID card then it means that you're "in the system" which includes at least a basic health insurance. When I first arrived here I had no ID card (hence no 'recognised' medical insurance), but they did take credit cards. Cash payments were frowned on.

But now that I'm fully ID carded up, my medical insurers can see what happened at both doc's place or the pharmacy - and I can see their view by logging on to my insurance account. My pharmacy can see what doc wrote as a prescription.

I tend to use only one pharmacy, although there are are almost as many pharmacies in my village as tattoo parlours.

Strange, but true...
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:39 pm
  #8857  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 29,047
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm hugely impressed with the fact that medics here aren't hung up on billing issues.
Docs get a choice here. Salaried or paid per patient seen. It's why my doc is more than happy to double or even triple up on appointments.

It's been said by someone in the know that referrals to specialists result in a fee for the specialist that's either not repeated at subsequent follow ups or the follow up fee is lower and some specialists discharge the patient (or whatever expression) and then the original doc refers again so that the follow up 'earns' the specialist the same referral rate.

BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:52 pm
  #8858  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,775
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

I do think at times the system would be better if all doctors were salaried and not paid per patient. BC does cap how many patients can be seen in a day but per patient encourages doctors to book as many as they can in a day and that leads to short visits and one issue per visit rules some doctors have.


No idea what profit my doctor made past year but she billed a little over 400,000 when I looked at the last report the province published.

Of course billings doesnt mean profit docs have to pay the costs of running their clinic out of that.


Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Docs get a choice here. Salaried or paid per patient seen. It's why my doc is more than happy to double or even triple up on appointments.

It's been said by someone in the know that referrals to specialists result in a fee for the specialist that's either not repeated at subsequent follow ups or the follow up fee is lower and some specialists discharge the patient (or whatever expression) and then the original doc refers again so that the follow up 'earns' the specialist the same referral rate.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 8:10 pm
  #8859  
European
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen.
Posts: 3,418
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
We used to have seperate health cards, but a few years ago they bundled the healthcard into drivers licenses and ID cards so most just have the single card now it seems.

I have more pharmacies and liquor stores within walking distance then I do geocery stores.....

I tend to go to the same pharmacy that it right next to my doctors office, its independent and they are nice. If I hsd to pay the dispensing fee though I would go somewhere cheaper but our filling is covered so doesnt matter which pharmacy.
Thinking back a few years ago to my time in CH, it was standard practice to go to see doc (I'm on the books, so they'll invoice the insurers directly) then set off to the pharmacy with my prescription, pay for that in cash and have to reclaim the cost myself (a portion of it, anyway).

Then one January the pharmacy said "who are you insured with?" I said "abc" and pharmacy said "we can bill them direct if you wish?".

About bloody time too!

This continued for about three years, then another January the pharmacy said "no, sorry, that arrangement is no longer in place", which bottom-lined at "so open your wallet matey". And back to more paperwork.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2019, 8:28 pm
  #8860  
Cruising through BE
 
LARAHTX's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 75
LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

People questioning my character. Because of "hearsay" .. Now whos the gossiper?
LARAHTX is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 12:20 pm
  #8861  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,426
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

No idea what profit my doctor made past year but she billed a little over 400,000 when I looked at the last report the province published.

Of course billings doesnt mean profit docs have to pay the costs of running their clinic out of that.
I think that's pretty good (cheap) if it includes all the overheads.
Expatrick is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:02 pm
  #8862  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 29,047
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I think that's pretty good (cheap) if it includes all the overheads.
New Brunswick figures Dec 2018.
a diagnostic radiologist at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre in Moncton, was paid between $1,650,000 and $1,699,999 for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2018, the unaudited payments show.... He was one of 31 physicians who earned more than $1 million.
The amounts represent gross earnings and do not reflect expenses some doctors may have, such as staff salaries or rent.
Making doctors' earnings public was one of several recommendations by New Brunswick Auditor General Kim MacPherson in 2012, after she found out some doctors were over-billing Medicare or double-billing for services.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:47 pm
  #8863  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,775
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

The amount is gross earnings before any of the doctors overhead costs like staff salaries, rent, etc.

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I think that's pretty good (cheap) if it includes all the overheads.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:31 pm
  #8864  
BE Forum Addict
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Var, South of France
Posts: 4,794
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Living in a very expensive nightmare ... estimate for final works to be done on my teeth = E 9500 !!!!! This on top of the E 12300 I already paid !
And knowing I had to throw out the best part of E 19000 because my of allergy !
That's called an investment gone wrong.
But ''Maybe'' I can eat again in the new year ! (Got my eye on a very nice restaurant).
I feel
Annetje is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:35 pm
  #8865  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 29,047
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Living in a very expensive nightmare ... estimate for final works to be done on my teeth = E 9500 !!!!! This on top of the E 12300 I already paid !
And knowing I had to throw out the best part of E 19000 because my of allergy !
That's called an investment gone wrong.
But ''Maybe'' I can eat again in the new year ! (Got my eye on a very nice restaurant).
I feel
Is somewhere else in Europe an option? Hungary or Czech Republic? Poland? It sounds like one of those situations where treatment, flight and accommodation - and a bit of a holiday - might be cheaper than the dental treatment in one's home country. Just as some North Americans do it in Mexico.
BristolUK is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.