Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Sounds like the pits. I do understand the lack of choice though, we have less choice in Canada but upside is the giant country to the south is easy to get to.....

Pits though, and I take it ferns are popular in your parts?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
This place can be so bluddy frustrating. Choice is so limited and if you do see something odds are that it won't be possible to get your hands on whatever it is.

All I want are two decor screens by Matrix design Woodland. That is all I want. Bunnings stock them except oh no they don't. Well, not in any other design except for every kiwis desire, boring Fern . Everything fern. Meh!
I can see that Oz stocks Matrix Woodland design but Bunnings here won't deal with Bunnings there. Then I was asked why not have Fern Ums Because it won't bluddy look right mate.

I'm so over it atm. Unless you want what every man and his dog here has , you're stuffed.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:18 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Pits though, and I take it ferns are popular in your parts?
Ferns , Fern shapes .Silver ferns. Fern trees. Ferns for logos. Ferns as decor. Fern anything for everything. Ferns.
Oh and black.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I take it ferns are popular in your parts?
I didn't read that last word as parts.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:33 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

This place can be so bluddy frustrating. Choice is so limited and if you do see something odds are that it won't be possible to get your hands on whatever it is.

All I want are two decor screens by Matrix design Woodland. That is all I want. Bunnings stock them except oh no they don't. Well, not in any other design except for every kiwis desire, boring Fern . Everything fern. Meh!
I can see that Oz stocks Matrix Woodland design but Bunnings here won't deal with Bunnings there. Then I was asked why not have Fern Ums Because it won't bluddy look right mate.

I'm so over it atm. Unless you want what every man and his dog here has , you're stuffed.
Are they big and/or heavy? I could get them and ship it to you. Our local Bunnings sees my car pull into the parking lot and they rub their hands together in glee. It's almost like they know I'm going to pretty much empty my bank account on crap we don't need.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:44 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain because I've had a similar sort of day. Tried to get a new floor lamp today as my lovely NEXT one that we've had since 1990-something went kaput over the weekend. Can I find one I like....NO! There's so little choice and they are all much of a muchness and some silly prices too! On top of that, quite a few are fixed LED bulbs and once the bulb goes, the whole lamp needs to go too! Just wasteful. That pisses me off too.

I've had the same situation with Bunnings in the past too. The Australian website has it but no they can't get that particular one in Bunnings New Zealand, the staff just aren't interested.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that trend with newer lights, seems wasteful for sure, but I notice more and more lights doing the fixed can't change the bulb style especially in small lights.

Based on the posts above seems as if New Zealand is in the same boat as Canada, less selection, possibly higher prices, and seeing what you want in a nearby country at the same retailer but can't get it. I feel the pain. Same happens in Canada. They get tricky too sometimes especially with food, has same name, made by the same company, but isn't the same thing. Looking at you Breyers ice cream and Mr Corn pops cereal.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I feel your pain because I've had a similar sort of day. Tried to get a new floor lamp today as my lovely NEXT one that we've had since 1990-something went kaput over the weekend. Can I find one I like....NO! There's so little choice and they are all much of a muchness and some silly prices too! On top of that, quite a few are fixed LED bulbs and once the bulb goes, the whole lamp needs to go too! Just wasteful. That pisses me off too.

I've had the same situation with Bunnings in the past too. The Australian website has it but no they can't get that particular one in Bunnings New Zealand, the staff just aren't interested.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:32 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that trend with newer lights, seems wasteful for sure, but I notice more and more lights doing the fixed can't change the bulb style especially in small lights.

Based on the posts above seems as if New Zealand is in the same boat as Canada, less selection, possibly higher prices, and seeing what you want in a nearby country at the same retailer but can't get it. I feel the pain. Same happens in Canada. They get tricky too sometimes especially with food, has same name, made by the same company, but isn't the same thing. Looking at you Breyers ice cream and Mr Corn pops cereal.
Sounds very much like Canada & NZ are similar. I'm suspecting you get more choice than us, given that we are at the arse-end of the world and our population is around 4.5 million.
I thought companies were supposed to be getting into sustainability, given the dire state of the planet but not lamp manufacturers it would seem.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:29 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Sounds very much like Canada & NZ are similar. I'm suspecting you get more choice than us, given that we are at the arse-end of the world and our population is around 4.5 million.
I thought companies were supposed to be getting into sustainability, given the dire state of the planet but not lamp manufacturers it would seem.
Try washing machines and the like.
Old UK one from decades ago lasted....decades.

Been in NZ for 15 years and had two washing machines, the latest of which has decided to break down . It is just 4 bluddy years old ! I went through the usual motions of checking assorted parts and the like but no. It will be the pcb board most like. Bah!

Rumbles off again , muttering.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ere is an example that ticks me off every-time.

Kiddie Co2 detector, same exact brand & model.

$21.33 US$ in the US. ($28 CAD$) in Canada the price is $49.18 CAD$ ($37 US$)

One of many examples. I wouldn't mind so much paying premium price if we also saw a premium in wages to make up for the higher prices.

Another example is aquariums, so much cheaper in the US. $40 aquarium goes for $110-$120 in Canada, same exact brand.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:47 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

ere is an example that ticks me off every-time.

Kiddie Co2 detector, same exact brand & model.

$21.33 US$ in the US. ($28 CAD$) in Canada the price is $49.18 CAD$ ($37 US$)

One of many examples. I wouldn't mind so much paying premium price if we also saw a premium in wages to make up for the higher prices.

Another example is aquariums, so much cheaper in the US. $40 aquarium goes for $110-$120 in Canada, same exact brand.
Is the premium price to reflect the fact you don't live somewhere that you'll be shot by someone every time you leave the house?

Can you ship from the US easily?

I get the same frustration, only worse now the £ has tanked. Some shops here in the Middle East even have the UK prices on the labels and the difference can be monumental. We have several freight forwarding type services though, so can buy in most countries globally and get delivered here - is there that sort of option?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never worried about being shot when living in California, although I lived in nicer/better area of San Diego compared to where we live in Vancouver.

Shipping to Canada tends to be high so rarely worthwhile, although shipping to a parcel receiver on the US side then going across to pick up it an option, but we live about an hour from the border, so not really something we do often.

Example the detector that I posted, can be shipping to Canada but there is no savings to do so.

Item 21.33
Shipping 12.02
Import duty fee 3.31
Total 36.66 USD$ (48.53 CAD$)

So in the end there would be no savings after shipping, tax and exchange rate.

When I first moved to Canada price tags would often have the US and Canadian price on the tag especially clothing and books, like they were teasing us, hey look how much cheaper American's get to pay...lol

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Is the premium price to reflect the fact you don't live somewhere that you'll be shot by someone every time you leave the house?

Can you ship from the US easily?

I get the same frustration, only worse now the £ has tanked. Some shops here in the Middle East even have the UK prices on the labels and the difference can be monumental. We have several freight forwarding type services though, so can buy in most countries globally and get delivered here - is there that sort of option?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 9:42 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I never worried about being shot when living in California, although I lived in nicer/better area of San Diego compared to where we live in Vancouver.

Shipping to Canada tends to be high so rarely worthwhile, although shipping to a parcel receiver on the US side then going across to pick up it an option, but we live about an hour from the border, so not really something we do often.

Example the detector that I posted, can be shipping to Canada but there is no savings to do so.

Item 21.33
Shipping 12.02
Import duty fee 3.31
Total 36.66 USD$ (48.53 CAD$)

So in the end there would be no savings after shipping, tax and exchange rate.

When I first moved to Canada price tags would often have the US and Canadian price on the tag especially clothing and books, like they were teasing us, hey look how much cheaper American's get to pay...lol
It's the same issue between the UK and Portugal - and even between Spain and Portugal. The Portuguese earn less, yet prices are higher and there's less choice. Worse, so-called experts insist that things they don't have to hand don't exist "Oh no, Sir! Nobody sells bath taps without a shower outlet..... why not just leave the plastic cap on?" Sometimes the postal costs are reasonable enough to import - but then you have to contend with the famous Portuguese "virtual carriers" who seem to deliver a high proportion of whatever is ordered into a black hole......
Old Nov 12th 2019, 10:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Try washing machines and the like.
Old UK one from decades ago lasted....decades.

Been in NZ for 15 years and had two washing machines, the latest of which has decided to break down . It is just 4 bluddy years old ! I went through the usual motions of checking assorted parts and the like but no. It will be the pcb board most like. Bah!

Rumbles off again , muttering.
If it makes you feel any better BEVS, I don't think appliances in the UK last any longer now than they do in our part of the world. Can't say about the larger ones like washing machines, as the one we bought over there and brought back is only just 4 years old. But we went through 3 kettles, 3 toasters and 2 pedestal fans in the 3 years we were there! 'Funny' how things with a one year warranty seem to last for one year and one day before conking out.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:46 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ailed-for-life

Time for mandatory sterilisation of some people.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ailed-for-life

Time for mandatory sterilisation of some people.
I'd accept a reversible procedure - i.e. a surgical implant that can't be removed easily......

I've also heard a suggestion of enforced coma, rather than the death penalty. The point being that the costs of keeping a coma patient alive are no higher than keeping someone in a maximum security prison (even on Death Row) - and with the advantage that it is reversible should there be an error.

I have to say, the idea of a facility full of comatose "monsters" is the stuff of horror stories!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.