Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 8th 2019, 7:52 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
THanks for all the positive posts and the PMs I've received.
too tired to write much but please know that i really do appreciate it.
You are our herder of cats m'lovely.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I've read about that. A combination of implants - what I read suggested four total, 2 up 2 down - and then bridges.

I would absolutely go for that if I was young enough. My bridge broke late 2017. Apparently there wasn't enough of an anchor left in my mouth and some combo of implants and bridge was suggested. Likely in excess of $10k. I don't heal well since becoming diabetic so I didn't fancy the surgery and all the follow ups - especially as it wasn't a convenient place to get to. I opted for a partial denture for about $900 instead.

I had my original bridge done in Montreal and the dentist there gave me the choice of that and implants for the same cost, a mere £2400. The more lengthy implants treatment would have got in the way of our move to Moncton so I opted for the bridge. Shame, as I'd still have them now instead of the denture. But I can still eat an apple.
Not necessarily. Years back I was hit by a car and spent a few days in a coma..... everything healed, but two teeth got smashed and I had a series of unsuccessful bridges (they'd last a while, then chip or come loose or just give up the ghost). My dentist suggested implants, but that was over 15 years ago, so they were expensive, took a loooong time and many visits (this was during the 240-mile round trip time), so I went for the bridge option again - and this time it's been fine for 15 years. Like you, I always wondered whether the implants would have been a better bet ....

BUT then my sister had the kind of treatment described here about 5 years ago (cost c£5000) - and when I saw her in September, I asked how she was doing.... she said one of the upper jaw implants failed after 18 months and couldn't be replaced and the other wasn't viable - so she now only has the lower ones..... and they aren't terribly comfortable! This after a friend in Portugal paid €15k for implant-secured dentures - and is currently suing the dentist as she has had nothing but discomfort for the past 2 years - so maybe we made the better choice!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Not necessarily. Years back I was hit by a car and spent a few days in a coma..... everything healed, but two teeth got smashed and I had a series of unsuccessful bridges (they'd last a while, then chip or come loose or just give up the ghost). My dentist suggested implants, but that was over 15 years ago, so they were expensive, took a loooong time and many visits (this was during the 240-mile round trip time), so I went for the bridge option again - and this time it's been fine for 15 years. Like you, I always wondered whether the implants would have been a better bet ....

BUT then my sister had the kind of treatment described here about 5 years ago (cost c£5000) - and when I saw her in September, I asked how she was doing.... she said one of the upper jaw implants failed after 18 months and couldn't be replaced and the other wasn't viable - so she now only has the lower ones..... and they aren't terribly comfortable! This after a friend in Portugal paid €15k for implant-secured dentures - and is currently suing the dentist as she has had nothing but discomfort for the past 2 years - so maybe we made the better choice!
I'd say it depends on the dental surgeon and the prosthetist as to the results. My implant supported fixed denture has never given me a moment of trouble or discomfort. The dental prosthetist took great care over 5 visits to make a denture that looked and worked like my natural teeth and aligned with my upper jaw, he even (at my request) made each tooth in the shape of my existing ones so they don't look false. For me, my new fangs were and are a dream. The only downside was the cost, which was met by a sneaky withdrawal from my superannuation account.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I'd say it depends on the dental surgeon and the prosthetist as to the results. My implant supported fixed denture has never given me a moment of trouble or discomfort. The dental prosthetist took great care over 5 visits to make a denture that looked and worked like my natural teeth and aligned with my upper jaw, he even (at my request) made each tooth in the shape of my existing ones so they don't look false. For me, my new fangs were and are a dream. The only downside was the cost, which was met by a sneaky withdrawal from my superannuation account.
... and luck. The problem is that some practitioners will still attempt implants even when the bone density is marginal or other factors suggest a less than positive outcome..... there's mucho dosh to be made in the new goldrush. In Portugal the are cosmetic dentistry outlets in every shopping mall, all offering 5-minute miracles.

I'd only heard of success before these two recent examples.......
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

... and luck. The problem is that some practitioners will still attempt implants even when the bone density is marginal or other factors suggest a less than positive outcome..... there's mucho dosh to be made in the new goldrush. In Portugal the are cosmetic dentistry outlets in every shopping mall, all offering 5-minute miracles.

I'd only heard of success before these two recent examples.......
Maybe some luck is involved, but researching the dental surgeon removes much of the risk. I had an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, in the preliminary appointment he warned me that not everyone's suitable for implants. Luckily I had excellent bone density, probably because of all the exercise I give my jaws through eating and talking
Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
An excellent description for the process.

It angered me when my NHS dentist went private and 'Denplan' coverage was suggested.
I'd had 4 or 5 years of 6 monthly checkups and one filling in all that time. I was paying about £4.60 for checkup and polish but my Denplan rate was to be £15 a month
Going from less than £10 a year to £180 and in the event of needing a crown the lab fee wasn't covered. This was in the 90s and I found another NHS dentist near where I worked and then a year on he went the same way too.

So I found another not too far from home. I wasn't hugely impressed, to be honest. Deprived area and the waiting area also seemed deprived.

I think it wasn't so much finding a dentist that did NHS work that was the problem, it was finding one for patients who were not exempt from fees.
My two dentists who went private were happy to carry on providing NHS treatment for those (low income folk) exempt from paying anything; almost as if those who were not low income should pay privately.

Considering the maximum fees charged for NHS dentistry is so much less than private charges it's worth travelling some distance for NHS treatment.

A maximum of £62.10 for root canal treatment is flabbergasting. $1000 per tooth is typical here.

My old dentist charges £200 per tooth for root canal. That's already 3x the NHS fee and 6x if two teeth. £400 plus per crown.

Imagine going to the dentist and having a shedload of work done, fillings, root canals, crowns and paying a maximum of £269 for NHS work as compared to £2000 privately.

Worth going to a different nearby city for an NHS dentist or somewhere the other side of town by taxi!!
No uk NHS dentist does shed loads of treatment in on go.In my experience when i lived there it is per tooth not treatment
Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
No uk NHS dentist does shed loads of treatment in on go.In my experience when i lived there it is per tooth not treatment
It is per cost of a scheduled course of treatment - however, there are limits - and "cosmetic" dentistry is not covered. That said, when I chipped my front tooth it was rebuilt on the NHS, although this was considered a medical requirement. Dental implants and orthodontic treatment, such as braces, are available on the NHS, but only if there's a medical need for the treatment. see https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...l-band-charge/
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:29 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
It is per cost of a scheduled course of treatment - however, there are limits - and "cosmetic" dentistry is not covered.
Prior to my NHS dentist going private I had four crowns done in one course. I'd consider that to be shed loads and a fraction of the cost of doing it privately or even four tooth NHS treatments.

Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

****ing stupid comments re brexit and Trump on the Remembrance Day service live feeds. FFS people.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
****ing stupid comments re brexit and Trump on the Remembrance Day service live feeds. FFS people.
All arse, no class.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
...... Lion... that's the first time you've sworn for some considerable posts, isn't it?
​​​​​​​Yes, that's sad, and I half-heard some item on the news today, saying the numbers attending UK Remembrance Day ceremonies were fast declining.... Maybe it doesn't mean a lot to some...
Old Nov 11th 2019, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

The local Vancouver reddit group is pretty toxic at times, and I still do not understand how something that affects nobody in a negative way, but does help some in a positive way can bring out such nastiness in some people. It's some stores reducing music and lighting for like an hour a week so those sensitive to sounds or light can have a better time doing their shopping needs, but somehow this still brings out the nasty comments from some people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._thursdays_34/
Old Nov 11th 2019, 4:39 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The local Vancouver reddit group is pretty toxic at times, and I still do not understand how something that affects nobody in a negative way, but does help some in a positive way can bring out such nastiness in some people. It's some stores reducing music and lighting for like an hour a week so those sensitive to sounds or light can have a better time doing their shopping needs, but somehow this still brings out the nasty comments from some people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._thursdays_34/
I believe they are known as keyboard warriors! They have to bitch about something all the time.

I think it is an excellent idea. To be honest I would rather shop under those circumstances. I hate the loud music and all the distractions. To be able to concentrate on just buying groceries would be perfect. A lot of times I do the pick up thing now. It helps the stress levels a lot!!
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't handle noise well, so I avoid stores most of the time especially Wal-Mart who seems to like to make announcements nearly non-stop for something. So time to go to a store with less noise, I am all for it.

In a way I might still even have my job if I wasn't so sensitive to loud noise, the noise of the horns that day was the trigger that set everything that day in motion.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I believe they are known as keyboard warriors! They have to bitch about something all the time.

I think it is an excellent idea. To be honest I would rather shop under those circumstances. I hate the loud music and all the distractions. To be able to concentrate on just buying groceries would be perfect. A lot of times I do the pick up thing now. It helps the stress levels a lot!!
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:08 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I can't handle noise well
Me neither. Nor smells.
I am a nightmare for MrBEVS

On that note: The diggers and trucks starting up at 7am this morning and leaving the engines running for 40 minutes to warm the things up.
Just metres really from the bedroom window. Bah!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.