Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:01 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
For most of Canada therapy/counseling is not typically a covered service so leaves only 2 real options having sufficient funds to pay or have good extended health via work. It's really a messed up system when it comes to mental health. It would have far cheaper long term for example for the healthcare system to provide me with the therapy I need vs the not providing and dealing with me in crises in the ER and multiple hospital stays, but tis life. I gave up on getting help, I can't afford $190-$200 per hour that is the going rate, and I am not a professional who ever had good extended health so I am locked out from being able to get help, so not even worth trying anymore.

If you can afford $190-$200 per hour then there is all the help you could ever want. But if you can't afford it, your gonna have access problems to mental health counseling.

While everyone regardless of economic status can suffer from mental health, the key difference is those with money can access help and supports, where us poor folk are told to pull up our boot straps and fix ourselves and simply that isn't always possible, but tis life, no point in trying anymore, it is what it is.

It's often not covered, or only very minimally covered, by insurance in the US, too.

Try telling someone with severe PTSD that if they should be over it in 12 sessions. Or you pay. And pay on top of the premiums you are already paying them.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 12:04 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree that money can buy you the help you need.
I have insurance. I could probably afford a therapist every couple of weeks or so.
I'm floundering in the dark though. I have no idea of what help i need, so I'm constantly trial and erroring to see what works.

i also need a psychiatric review for my meds. not possible. even with money

I'd love 12 sessions, my insurance EAP covers 4
Old Nov 7th 2019, 12:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It's often not covered, or only very minimally covered, by insurance in the US, too.

Try telling someone with severe PTSD that if they should be over it in 12 sessions. Or you pay. And pay on top of the premiums you are already paying them.
I watched an old Simpsons episode last night. Homer's therapist says "I believe we've made excellent progress here today, and after another few years of twice-weekly sessions, we can really... "
Homer interrupts saying he lied about having health insurance and the therapist responds "...you're cured."
Old Nov 7th 2019, 12:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
I have insurance. I could probably afford a therapist every couple of weeks or so.
I'm floundering in the dark though. I have no idea of what help i need, so I'm constantly trial and erroring to see what works.

This is the other thing we suffer from in the US. You have to go shopping for your own doctors (looking for ones in network). How am I supposed to know what I've got and what I need? You go through this trial and error process. It's like buying shoes.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
This is the other thing we suffer from in the US. You have to go shopping for your own doctors (looking for ones in network). How am I supposed to know what I've got and what I need? You go through this trial and error process. It's like buying shoes.
I remember that my Dr was in-network and my surgeon was in-network - no one told me I had to check the anaesthetist. Kerching $$.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I watched an old Simpsons episode last night. Homer's therapist says "I believe we've made excellent progress here today, and after another few years of twice-weekly sessions, we can really... "
Homer interrupts saying he lied about having health insurance and the therapist responds "...you're cured."
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I remember that my Dr was in-network and my surgeon was in-network - no one told me I had to check the anaesthetist. Kerching $$.

And whatever you do, don't take the bloody hospital ibuprofen. Bring your own.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:33 pm

Not far from the truth.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
This is illegal in Florida (and New York, maybe others).

Florida have a 'balance billing' law. Basically, if the facility is in-network, all associated services are also considered in-network. They are not allowed to bill you over the insurance amount.

Unfortunately, that doesn't include the ambulance service (don't ask).
Old Nov 7th 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Hi Zoe Bell i too was in a dark place many years ago. Don't give up keep on going, as in my case i came out the other side and the sun does shine when you get there. though it's very hard when all you see is dark, just remember there is light you just have to find it like me and you will believe me.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 7:59 pm
If I only had a brain

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of dentists, those with insurance seem to get a lot more dental stuff done vs us who have limited coverage for just the basics.

I once went to a dentist and they thought I had insurance, the list was a mile long of things the dentist said I needed, once the dentist realized I was self paying, suddenly 99% of the things on the list became optional.

Mental health varies widely, some things can be treated in a short amount of time, some disorders are chronic life long and never go away, some can be treated with medications and achieve success and are short term, all depends on so many factors, even how a mental disorder affects a person is different, so no 2 treatment options are exactly the same, they become quite specialized.

For my disorder there is no medication known that can treat it, some medications can be used to treat some symptoms though, but the disorder itself can't be treated with medication, and the therapy is generally 1 year going once per week to individual and group, and then as needed after the first year, but its not cheap, in Vancouver the first year runs $1,200 a month on the low end, a bit higher if you see a PhD over a Master level clinician. The cost is prohibitive to a lot of people who work, but many with complex mental health disorders can't work, are on disability and possibly homeless and have no chance at all to even recover because they can't even access the help they need and should have access to.

When I was employed my wage was still too low to afford the going rate, and most jobs in my experience don't offer extended health, seems more common in white collar and professional jobs though, and the one job that did offer extended health, the extended health was capped at $300 per year for mental health services, so basically 1 week of therapy, and I have never worked anywhere with an EAP type program.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 7th 2019 at 8:21 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 8:42 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Very difficult all round to be placed in a pitch black dark building and then trying to find the right door out without anything to guide at all.

The pits Zoe that you are where you are right now.

Is there anything, anything at all, that us motley lot can do to help a little . We can listen of course & be there.

Caring hug .
M
x

Old Nov 7th 2019, 8:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Mental health varies widely, some things can be treated in a short amount of time, some disorders are chronic life long and never go away, some can be treated with medications and achieve success and are short term, all depends on so many factors, even how a mental disorder affects a person is different, so no 2 treatment options are exactly the same, they become quite specialized.
My friend in Trail was quite severely disabled from meningitis in middle age, (they were going to pull his life support), but recovered enough to live on his own, and he gets some help from the Trail Brain Injury Association. About a month ago I wondered if you might be able to get something out of the equivalent Vancouver association because you were able to track the start of your difficulty to meningitis when you were young. The website doesn't look like there's a lot going on, but it might be worth phoning to see if they have any counselors with time to spare.

Old Nov 7th 2019, 9:10 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Very difficult all round to be placed in a pitch black dark building and then trying to find the right door out without anything to guide at all.

The pits Zoe that you are where you are right now.

Is there anything, anything at all, that us motley lot can do to help a little . We can listen of course & be there.

Caring hug .
M
x
A lovely post BEVS. And very true about how difficult to be in that very dark place. It feels very lonely there even when there's so many people on your side.

Zoe, it may not be your thing, but after my son died I forced myself to join a support group for suicide survivors. We met once a week for 12 weeks. It was hard making myself go, but I really am glad I went. Three years on there's a group of us who still meet regularly, not just as parents who've lost children but as friends. I found the group was very helpful to be with others who could relate to my specific darkness and not some counselor who only read about it in university. Would a support group be something you would consider?
Old Nov 7th 2019, 9:31 pm
If I only had a brain

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I have always thought possibly its a brain injury from meningitis more then a mental illness, and I have asked several psychiatrists and doctors but none have been interested in looking into it further, but not sure if a medical doctor can do much anyhow, it has been 40 years since the infection, but if I did have the funds I would get a Neuropsychological assessment done and see what it says, and could possibly open some other avenues, the one I had at 5 isn't current enough but a lot of the issues then I still struggle with, so I do think a Neuropsychological assessment would be helpful, but dang they are expensive.

I should email them and just see what they say, can't hurt.

I wasn't expected to survive but some how managed to.

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
My friend in Trail was quite severely disabled from meningitis in middle age, (they were going to pull his life support), but recovered enough to live on his own, and he gets some help from the Trail Brain Injury Association. About a month ago I wondered if you might be able to get something out of the equivalent Vancouver association because you were able to track the start of your difficulty to meningitis when you were young. The website doesn't look like there's a lot going on, but it might be worth phoning to see if they have any counselors with time to spare.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 7th 2019 at 9:47 pm. Reason: removed a paragraph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.