Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 2:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Ooo, so close.

Stupid question of the day number two - do you get your EU citizenship grandfathered in, or is it just a case of 'tough luck - these cnuts made your bed now go lie in it even though you never asked to'?

The latter.

I have no residency in any member country, so out of luck. The Little Lion just renewed his UK passport, and the EU wording etc is gone. I wonder if he will have to get another if Scotland leaves?
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:19 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo, so close.

Stupid question of the day number two - do you get your EU citizenship grandfathered in, or is it just a case of 'tough luck - these cnuts made your bed now go lie in it even though you never asked to'?
Come on SoS, get that application in - otherwise you'll be at the back of the queue after the DUP!!

Article 2 of Bunreacht na hÉireann, the Constitution of Ireland.
"It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage."
No bureaucrat's decision, a constitutional right from the foundation.

Ah sha, go on - you know ye want to!!
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:22 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The latter.
Irish passport it is, then. Not to rub it in of course, but I'd be buck stupid not to.

I have no residency in any member country, so out of luck. The Little Lion just renewed his UK passport, and the EU wording etc is gone. I wonder if he will have to get another if Scotland leaves?
Yes, he likely will, when they inevitably have to reissue the 'Kingdom of England and Wales' passport in a few years

I wonder if you and he will find it easier getting around on your US passports rather than your UK ones going forward? My wife keeps telling me to stop going on about it because I don't live there anymore but the possibility of a hard border being imposed in Ireland was a big deal for me.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:24 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Come on SoS, get that application in - otherwise you'll be at the back of the queue after the DUP!!

Article 2 of Bunreacht na hÉireann, the Constitution of Ireland.
"It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage."
No bureaucrat's decision, a constitutional right from the foundation.

Ah sha, go on - you know ye want to!!
As mentioned, I do intend to. Just haven't got around to it yet. I'll probably have to request a copy of my long form birth certificate though, god knows where the other one I used for my US visa went. It's buried under a pile of crap somewhere in the house but might just be quicker to request a new one

But yes, I will get one, and then sort out how to get one for my daughter as well once I'm established because I'm pretty sure I'm able to do that. Micky D is my President now
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Irish passport it is, then. Not to rub it in of course, but I'd be buck stupid not to.

Yes, he likely will, when they inevitably have to reissue the 'Kingdom of England and Wales' passport in a few years

I wonder if you and he will find it easier getting around on your US passports rather than your UK ones going forward? My wife keeps telling me to stop going on about it because I don't live there anymore but the possibility of a hard border being imposed in Ireland was a big deal for me.

I'm pretty sure that in travelling Europe either passport would do, and I'm likely to still use the UK one for that. It may still be easier, but we just don't know because no details have been worked out.

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:32 pm
Hail Satan!

I'm pretty sure that in travelling Europe either passport would do, and I'm likely to still use the UK one for that. It may still be easier, but we just don't know because no details have been worked out.
It'd be a pain in the bumhole if you started needing a visa to travel to the EU as a UK citizen

Of course, the entire EU is on the visa waiver program with the US, so your other blue passport will work anyway.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 5:08 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently referred to as a 'Lepers' Licence' by some wags in the UK Passport Office. Presumably as users will have to use Brits Only lines at every EU Frontier.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 5:13 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be a pain in the bumhole if you started needing a visa to travel to the EU as a UK citizen

Of course, the entire EU is on the visa waiver program with the US, so your other blue passport will work anyway.
One of the major errors during the Brexit talks (just one!) is the conviction that individual EU states will be more or less "friendly" to the UK's wishes - Germany will help because of trade, France will always look to cause issues, etc., etc. This became absolutely clear over the border issue, where certain people were convinced that, when push came to shove, the other states would throw Ireland under a bus to gain agreement. Through history, "divide and conquer" has always been a key strategy.

Whoops -WRONG! The EU leaders agreed their stance at the outset and gave the EU the task of negotiating on their behalf. It has stayed that way and they sing from the same hymnsheet. So, I don't expect there to be any issues with entry to the EU for UK citizens.(as a visitor)..... unless the UK make it a problem by enacting some stupid regressive legislation.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 5:35 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Apparently referred to as a 'Lepers' Licence' by some wags in the UK Passport Office. Presumably as users will have to use Brits Only lines at every EU Frontier.
It could so easily be avoided, even now at two minutes to midnight.

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
One of the major errors during the Brexit talks (just one!) is the conviction that individual EU states will be more or less "friendly" to the UK's wishes - Germany will help because of trade, France will always look to cause issues, etc., etc. This became absolutely clear over the border issue, where certain people were convinced that, when push came to shove, the other states would throw Ireland under a bus to gain agreement. Through history, "divide and conquer" has always been a key strategy.

Whoops -WRONG! The EU leaders agreed their stance at the outset and gave the EU the task of negotiating on their behalf. It has stayed that way and they sing from the same hymnsheet. So, I don't expect there to be any issues with entry to the EU for UK citizens.(as a visitor)..... unless the UK make it a problem by enacting some stupid regressive legislation.
I wouldn't bet against the regressive legislation part just yet. We are talking about the Tories after all, regression is their fetish.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

One has to consider whether the common travel area etc should continue in the future, after our "friends" in Ireland have tried so hard to stab us in the back.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

THIS THREAD'S NOT ABOUT BLOODY BREXIT

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:25 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
It is if it pissed you off. Quite a common occurrence, that.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:27 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Why not? After all we're all pretty pissed off about it!
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:56 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
One has to consider whether the common travel area etc should continue in the future, after our "friends" in Ireland have tried so hard to stab us in the back.
Paranoid much?
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:59 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
This post presented to us without a hint of irony, of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.