Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Aug 26th 2019, 1:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Yes, I used to regularly fly Emirates business UK to Dubai and Dubai to South Africa. It was tough heading back to cattle to mix with the lower orders on the shorter flights.

You'll be the first up against the wall Comrade, when the day comes.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
My heart bleeds.

Only ever flown sardine class.
I've never flown long haul biz but don't mind springing a bit extra for it within Europe or other short haul routes. It's worth it for the priority security and lounge access alone.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 1:53 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

My heart bleeds.

I thought you'd feel for me.
I had only flown bizzo once before moving overseas. Nothing wrong with Emirates economy really. It's fine, but 14+ hours to Sydney for work can **** off.

Yes, I used to regularly fly Emirates business UK to Dubai and Dubai to South Africa. It was tough heading back to cattle to mix with the lower orders on the shorter flights.
My Mrs got a Ryanair flight to Dublin last year for a hen do. She literally didn't know what to do with herself.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:30 pm
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Is it time for me to roll out my well-worn views on Emirates? Mr K thinks they're fine in Biz and he was very happy when he got upgraded to First from DXB to LHR a few years ago, but I've only flown them once and in Economy. MAN-SYD. I have never had so much food dropped on me or trolleys driven into me as I had on that flight. I was glad my bread roll was wrapped as she dropped it on the floor, picked it up and put it on my tray. I asked if she had any sparkling wine and she offered to put some lemonade in a white wine for me. Need I go on?

I miss Qantas. Never thought I would say that when our default was SQ. I love their flatbeds. One flight last year (SYD-SIN-LHR I only got upgraded to Premium (first world problem hey) and I thought that was OK too. I'm really wondering if I've wasted my money on BA Premium (what's it called, World Traveller Plus?) as my flight home is daytime and I probably won't sleep.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:45 pm
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Back to my hotel gripes - my room hasn't been cleaned for two days. They gave me a card at check-in where I could opt out of daily cleaning because I'm here 8 nights, and they'll give me a tenner off my food bill or donate 3 quid to a charity (whoopdedoo, they save 7 days' cleaning and donate 3 quid). I didn't complete it as there isn't even a hook to hang a wet towel on but they're not cleaning anyway. I had room service for dinner the other night (because the restaurant closed earlier than advertised) and I didn't put the tray outside because there's not a lot of room and it had nothing on it to go off. So after it being in my room all yesterday I put it outside when I got in last evening. When I got back again later it was still there.

There's no mirror in the bedroom, but the plumbed in hairdryer in the bathroom has been removed (holder still there) - there is actually a decent hairdryer supplied but nowhere near a mirror to plug it in. City hotels are still designed for men. The glass on the (pitiful) tea tray had a huge chunk out of it and there are no teaspoons with the mugs. (I never travel without a plunger mug and my own ground coffee, but it's a poor show.) I took the glass to reception as it was dangerous but it hasn't been replaced. And I'm really unclear why there's only one bedside cabinet in a double room.

It's a Radisson, by the way, and not cheap. And there's no chuffing way it's 4 star. I'm already drafting my review and thinking of booking Quebecs for next year, as soon as I get home.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

Emirates are light years ahead of most airlines, even with the cost cutting and slashes they're making. The difference in quality between now and when I first flew with them 8 years ago is huge, but still above the rest.
We're visiting the UK next year and I've started to research fares. The cheapest business return I can find so far on Emirates is around $8,000, so if I can't find a good special with them it'll be Qatar or Etihad, both under $6,000.

My heart bleeds.

In my 'previous life' (that's honestly how I think of it!) being able to afford an economy flight to anywhere was a luxury I could only dream about. I worked 2 jobs much of the time and about the only thing I gained personally from that was the odd belt in the mouth for not having his lordship's dinner on the table in time. I don't think me and my dicky spine could manage a long haul in economy now, tried once a few years ago and despite gobbling drugs all the way I was a tear soaked wreck by the time I arrived.

I've just realised that the above sounds like I'm defending myself, which I know I don't need to do with you our lovely LiW. I guess it's just that having lived on the bones of my arse for much of my life, and knowing exactly what that is like, I felt guilty at babbling on glibly about business this and business that.

Cape Blue, I love you dearly but please take your 'lower orders' crap and stick it fair up your arse. I'm sure I'm lower order, or carbon unit, or whatever you call it and I'm happy to be so. While I studied at Uni to try to get myself out of the mess I was in, I cleaned public toilets at a greyhound race track and sold my mother's engagement ring she'd given me to buy food for my kids. I'm fine with the first, but have never got over the shame of the second. To me, the 'lower order' person in that transaction was the pawn shop owner, dripping in gold jewellery and looking at me like I was a piece of shit, refusing to offer me more than $60 for a diamond ring I saw on sale there the next week for $1,200.

There, I feel better now

Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
We're visiting the UK next year and I've started to research fares. The cheapest business return I can find so far on Emirates is around $8,000, so if I can't find a good special with them it'll be Qatar or Etihad, both under $6,000.

In my 'previous life' (that's honestly how I think of it!) being able to afford an economy flight to anywhere was a luxury I could only dream about. I worked 2 jobs much of the time and about the only thing I gained personally from that was the odd belt in the mouth for not having his lordship's dinner on the table in time. I don't think me and my dicky spine could manage a long haul in economy now, tried once a few years ago and despite gobbling drugs all the way I was a tear soaked wreck by the time I arrived.

I've just realised that the above sounds like I'm defending myself, which I know I don't need to do with you our lovely LiW. I guess it's just that having lived on the bones of my arse for much of my life, and knowing exactly what that is like, I felt guilty at babbling on glibly about business this and business that.

Cape Blue, I love you dearly but please take your 'lower orders' crap and stick it fair up your arse. I'm sure I'm lower order, or carbon unit, or whatever you call it and I'm happy to be so. While I studied at Uni to try to get myself out of the mess I was in, I cleaned public toilets at a greyhound race track and sold my mother's engagement ring she'd given me to buy food for my kids. I'm fine with the first, but have never got over the shame of the second. To me, the 'lower order' person in that transaction was the pawn shop owner, dripping in gold jewellery and looking at me like I was a piece of shit, refusing to offer me more than $60 for a diamond ring I saw on sale there the next week for $1,200.

There, I feel better now
Brilliant post----Don't feel 'shame' over the ring----most of us have had to do something like that in our past 'poorer days'.

We have spent a fortune on flights over the 50 years because OH's heart, home (and now mine) was always more than half in India. We always went economy but now age has caught up and he can't manage sitting up for a long night flight. So we have had two business class trips.
(Will certainly avoid BA and terminal five in the future!!)
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be the first up against the wall Comrade, when the day comes.
I'll have left for my holiday home before that.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

There, I feel better now
How frightful.

You are perfectly entitled to decide where you sit in the social hierarchy, I would suggest that telling others to stick it up their arse would be a good indicator.

Often sitting in cattle class I would hear fat women screeching "**** off Tony" in some gruesome accent, or heavily tattooed bruisers with oiky attitudes shoving their way into the queue then stuffing six hundredweight of cases into the overheads, leaving no space for others.

I too have had to work multiple jobs etc in the past, being in the lower orders is an attitude, not a $ sign.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There, I feel better now

Don't get me wrong, if I could I would be up in first class so fast it would make your vanilla slice wobble
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:44 pm

I'll have left for my holiday home before that.

Sorry, that will have been seized and turned into a re-education camp for those unfamiliar with the use of the apostrophe.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

How frightful.

You are perfectly entitled to decide where you sit in the social hierarchy, I would suggest that telling others to stick it up their arse would be a good indicator.

Often sitting in cattle class I would hear fat women screeching "**** off Tony" in some gruesome accent, or heavily tattooed bruisers with oiky attitudes shoving their way into the queue then stuffing six hundredweight of cases into the overheads, leaving no space for others.

I too have had to work multiple jobs etc in the past, being in the lower orders is an attitude, not a $ sign.
Oh shut up, you tart.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:47 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

How frightful.

I often have to remind myself that you're playing a part on here because you do it very convincingly. You almost had me believing you were genuinely that much of a twat for a while there.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Brilliant post----Don't feel 'shame' over the ring----most of us have had to do something like that in our past 'poorer days'.

We have spent a fortune on flights over the 50 years because OH's heart, home (and now mine) was always more than half in India. We always went economy but now age has caught up and he can't manage sitting up for a long night flight. So we have had two business class trips.
(Will certainly avoid BA and terminal five in the future!!)
Heathrow scares me!! Happy travels Bipat
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:48 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, if I could I would be up in first class so fast it would make your vanilla slice wobble
Do they serve sherry in first class? Destroying the 1% from the inside. Good plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.