Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

We got with fake tree as we have to, don't have a choice being in multi-family housing, would prefer a live tree. Haven't had a real tree since, I dunno 2002 I think plus don't have to find a spot to store a live tree, once done, goes to the chipper to be used for mulch/wood chips for landscaping, so really at least 2 uses for 1 tree.

We are going to give away our fake tree this year, so sick of it sitting in the closest taking up so much room 11 months of the year, rather not even have a tree at this point.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 5:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
There are in N American too, but those areas would look much better with mature fir trees than bare fields.
I agree, but try getting a farmer/grower to leave their fields to nature instead of getting an income from them!

Aussie pine trees grown on privately owned plantations and are a fairly environmentally-friendly way of getting a Christmas tree. The plantations are in areas that aren't suitable for growing other crops, so they do a good job of providing a habitat for birds and for sucking up carbon dioxide, and the farmer replaces them as soon as they're cut down. Most local Councils will collect the trees after Christmas and mulch or compost them.

Like most things in life, I guess plastic vs real is a personal choice. As long as I have somewhere for Father Christmas to leave my presents I'm happy
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

The Christmas tree farms of North America if they were not growing trees they would likely be using the land for something else, and growing trees doesn't really seem like a bad way to use land. Not like we are cutting natural forests down for Christmas trees but we do cut those down for housing and other needs.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I agree, but try getting a farmer/grower to leave their fields to nature instead of getting an income from them!

Aussie pine trees grown on privately owned plantations and are a fairly environmentally-friendly way of getting a Christmas tree. The plantations are in areas that aren't suitable for growing other crops, so they do a good job of providing a habitat for birds and for sucking up carbon dioxide, and the farmer replaces them as soon as they're cut down. Most local Councils will collect the trees after Christmas and mulch or compost them.

Like most things in life, I guess plastic vs real is a personal choice. As long as I have somewhere for Father Christmas to leave my presents I'm happy
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 7:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
We got with fake tree as we have to, don't have a choice being in multi-family housing, would prefer a live tree. Haven't had a real tree since, I dunno 2002 I think plus don't have to find a spot to store a live tree, once done, goes to the chipper to be used for mulch/wood chips for landscaping, so really at least 2 uses for 1 tree.

We are going to give away our fake tree this year, so sick of it sitting in the closest taking up so much room 11 months of the year, rather not even have a tree at this point.
I must admit I love the smell of pine needles, such a Christmasy smell.

Yes, lack of storage space can be a pain in apartments. That's one of the two things that would put me off living in one, the other being the annual service charges which can be really high over here. Apart from that I think apartment living would suit me, I quite like being in the thick of it all rather than in the suburbs. Lots of table top options for Christmas trees, they don't take up much room
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apartment living wouldn't be so bad if you could say afford one of those nice big fancy ones that have square footage the size of a small house....lol...But eh the regular ole apartments kind of suck, especially new ones, apartments here anyhow have been shrinking over the decades so they tend to be fairly small, almost no closest space let alone storage, our bedroom for instance can barely hold a queen mattress, a king would fit, but there would be no walking space or space for anything else.....lol

Not sure what an annual service charge is, we don't have those here, at least nowhere I have ever rented. Upside to apartment living is there is no yard work, no snowing clearing etc, downside is your in close proximity to many other people, have no yard to no outdoor space really to sit and relax unless you have a nice balcony that doesn't over look a busy street, but a balcony is no yard, and if you live with other people, there is nowhere to escape for quiet, wife and I can get on each other nerves at times due to lack of space.

Yes, lack of storage space can be a pain in apartments. That's one of the two things that would put me off living in one, the other being the annual service charges which can be really high over here. Apart from that I think apartment living would suit me, I quite like being in the thick of it all rather than in the suburbs. Lots of table top options for Christmas trees, they don't take up much room
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Apartment living wouldn't be so bad if you could say afford one of those nice big fancy ones that have square footage the size of a small house....lol...But eh the regular ole apartments kind of suck, especially new ones, apartments here anyhow have been shrinking over the decades so they tend to be fairly small, almost no closest space let alone storage, our bedroom for instance can barely hold a queen mattress, a king would fit, but there would be no walking space or space for anything else.....lol

Not sure what an annual service charge is, we don't have those here, at least nowhere I have ever rented. Upside to apartment living is there is no yard work, no snowing clearing etc, downside is your in close proximity to many other people, have no yard to no outdoor space really to sit and relax unless you have a nice balcony that doesn't over look a busy street, but a balcony is no yard, and if you live with other people, there is nowhere to escape for quiet, wife and I can get on each other nerves at times due to lack of space.
It's pretty piss-poor to build apartments that don't have room for closets, where are you supposed to keep your clothes? Makes me grrrr.

An annual service charge here and in the UK is a fee that covers building insurance and maintenance, and the maintenance of grounds, lifts/elevators, swimming pools etc. Usually the owners pay the fee, not the tenants, although owners who rent the apartment out probably build the fee into the rental tariff. If a building doesn't have fancy extras like a swimming pool the fees are much cheaper here. Ball park figures range from AU$2,000 to upwards of AU$8,000, and then you have Council tax on top of that.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are called strata fees here and very greatly building to building and even within a building depending on size of unit. Looking at the real estate listing for a unit for sale in our building, 1 bed/1ba 2019 taxes were $1,525 and monthly strata fee is $422 per month.

This building has no amenities, no door person, no concierge, no pool etc.

It's pretty piss-poor to build apartments that don't have room for closets, where are you supposed to keep your clothes? Makes me grrrr.

An annual service charge here and in the UK is a fee that covers building insurance and maintenance, and the maintenance of grounds, lifts/elevators, swimming pools etc. Usually the owners pay the fee, not the tenants, although owners who rent the apartment out probably build the fee into the rental tariff. If a building doesn't have fancy extras like a swimming pool the fees are much cheaper here. Ball park figures range from AU$2,000 to upwards of AU$8,000, and then you have Council tax on top of that.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:53 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Real trees here are, obviously, ****ing expensive (i'm talking £200++++ for a half decent one).
Hardware store however sell these sticks you hang in the tree that smell of Christmas trees and they're bleedin' fabulous. Throw in a couple of similar Christmassy scented candles and the apartment is basically Lapland.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:58 am
Just Joined

tonymahony is an unknown quantity at this point

General driving in Riyadh, so many road works and [email protected] drivers everywhere..
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And from cleaning the lav

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:40 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
And from cleaning the lav
Ah, so that's why I love the smell of Pine-O-Clean!
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, so that's why I love the smell of Pine-O-Clean!
That's how they make Retsina; 9 parts white wine, 1 part Pinesol. Take Retsina to a party and no-one will be sniping your booze.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:48 am
Just Joined

tonymahony is an unknown quantity at this point

there is good reason why no one will pinch your Retsina..

unless they need to strip paint..
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
That's how they make Retsina; 9 parts white wine, 1 part Pinesol. Take Retsina to a party and no-one will be sniping your booze.
I got quite squiffy on retsina once, in a little village on Crete. Didn't know it had pine resin in though! (I just Googled it)
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 12:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Originally Posted by tonymahony View Post
there is good reason why no one will pinch your Retsina..

unless they need to strip paint..
I got quite squiffy on retsina once, in a little village on Crete. Didn't know it had pine resin in though! (I just Googled it)

It's in the same category as scrumpy. Good as a varnish remover, but dangerous for everything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.