Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Just seen my first Christmas advert, 22nd July, for Christmas trees, Balsam Hills, apparently they supply the Royal Albert Hall.
And though the trees were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many trees it takes to fill the Albert Hall

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 1:58 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
OK,.... OK, ..... that's a 10
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:11 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem!
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen my first Christmas advert, 22nd July, for Christmas trees, Balsam Hills, apparently they supply the Royal Albert Hall.
They were the first I've seen this year, about a week ago.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 3:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at Christmas trees on the Balsam Hills website when I was in the UK. The price of the one I liked was nearly £500 and it was by no means the most expensive. I don't bloody think so!
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 4:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I looked at Christmas trees on the Balsam Hills website when I was in the UK. The price of the one I liked was nearly £500 and it was by no means the most expensive. I don't bloody think so!
I just looked. Looks like one of the cheapest with price ranges up to £1200.

The cheapest was £129 for 4.5 foot.

As long as they are 'full' I think even cheap ones look okay with the lights and deccies on. All you really see is a sort of triangley shape sparkling. In the evening anyway.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

They are expensive, but then a decent fresh 6 ft Christmas tree from our local friendly farmer is £65-70. If you keep the Balsam Hills one for 10 years you've more than broken even. I think that's the rationale for them anyway.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 4:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
They are expensive, but then a decent fresh 6 ft Christmas tree from our local friendly farmer is £65-70. If you keep the Balsam Hills one for 10 years you've more than broken even. I think that's the rationale for them anyway.
They probably do last really well, at least they'd want to at that price!
I prefer fresh ones but my husband's very house proud and doesn't like the needles dropping. Since he does most of the housework I no complain I bought an artificial one when I arrived back in Oz last August, it's 7ft high, very full and looks beautiful, and it was only $450.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They probably do last really well, at least they'd want to at that price!
I prefer fresh ones but my husband's very house proud and doesn't like the needles dropping. Since he does most of the housework I no complain I bought an artificial one when I arrived back in Oz last August, it's 7ft high, very full and looks beautiful, and it was only $450.
We also go with an artificial tree. Such a shame to chop down beautiful trees for a couple of week’s decoration.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:02 pm
Concierge

I just looked. Looks like one of the cheapest with price ranges up to £1200.

The cheapest was £129 for 4.5 foot.

As long as they are 'full' I think even cheap ones look okay with the lights and deccies on. All you really see is a sort of triangley shape sparkling. In the evening anyway.
You're right, fill it up with tinsel, baubles and lights and it's going to look great. There was just no way I was going to pay the equivalent of around AU$1,000 for a Christmas tree!
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We also go with an artificial tree. Such a shame to chop down beautiful trees for a couple of week’s decoration.
Good point, although there are several plantations around Perth that grow them specifically for Christmas.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

All you really see is a sort of triangley shape sparkling.
Sounds like most of the 1970s really.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

What pissed me off the other day didn't really dawn on me until later. My sister and brother in law flew in from the coast to attend the BC Lions - Saskatchewan Roughriders game on Saturday. I picked them up at the hotel, we went for lunch, then I gave them a ride to Mosaic Stadium. They use a no-traffic policy now so only game day busses get into the street in front of the stadium, so I had to drop them a couple of blocks away; there were sawhorses indicating the road closure but behind them was a city road grader parked sideways across the street. It wasn't until hours later I realised that was to prevent a vehicle attack against pedestrians congregated outside the stadium. I never really thought about terrorism in Regina before.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:46 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Sounds like most of the 1970s really.
Now that you said that I can't stop thinking Twin Peaks: The Return.

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, although there are several plantations around Perth that grow them specifically for Christmas.
There are in N American too, but those areas would look much better with mature fir trees than bare fields.

Edit: IMO today's artificial trees look very realistic. They are pre-lit, which means no more messing around with rows and rows of cables...and they do not shed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 22nd 2019 at 5:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.