Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old May 8th 2019, 4:32 pm
  #6886  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,314
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
For sure it could be worse.

The amount of income people lose just for healthcare is crazy and on top you still have to pay taxes.
Well in that case the premiums are good, but on reflection the coverage is pretty shite.

I have mediocre coverage, but vaguely affordable copays, but a premium that jams me up the arse every week. Either way it's obscene.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 4:46 pm
  #6887  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,596
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Looking at my wife's 2 medications, using a Wal-Mart in WA state the total monthly cost without insurance paying cash is $1,455 per month US$.

Cash price at Wal-Mart in Vancouver $45 per month CAD$ ($33 US)

Same medication, same manufacturer, same retailer.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 4:59 pm
  #6888  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,314
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Looking at my wife's 2 medications, using a Wal-Mart in WA state the total monthly cost without insurance paying cash is $1,455 per month US$.

Cash price at Wal-Mart in Vancouver $45 per month CAD$ ($33 US)

Same medication, same manufacturer, same retailer.
Yeah, it's nuts. Even my generics (which I get for $3.00 - about the only aspect of my insurance I can't legitimately complain about) apparently cost about $200.00 without insurance, if my receipts are to be believed when it says 'your insurance saved you $X.xx'. Though my provider does get sketchy about what generics to cover. I was on a combo BP pill that they flat out refused to cover after one open enrollment cycle, so I had to then have my doctor prescribe me each medication separately. It's weird.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:09 pm
  #6889  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,596
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Yeah, it's nuts. Even my generics (which I get for $3.00 - about the only aspect of my insurance I can't legitimately complain about) apparently cost about $200.00 without insurance, if my receipts are to be believed when it says 'your insurance saved you $X.xx'. Though my provider does get sketchy about what generics to cover. I was on a combo BP pill that they flat out refused to cover after one open enrollment cycle, so I had to then have my doctor prescribe me each medication separately. It's weird.
Probably cheaper for them to pay for 2 medications vs 1 combo of the same medications.....

Looking at my thyroid medication, appears to be about $30-$40 per month in the US, I have coverage here so paid $0 but the price I would have had to pay if not covered was $7.31 for the medication + $10 dispensing fee.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:13 pm
  #6890  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,314
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Probably cheaper for them to pay for 2 medications vs 1 combo of the same medications.....
Oh well, by all means, whatever saves them money. I don't give them enough obviously

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Looking at my thyroid medication, appears to be about $30-$40 per month in the US, I have coverage here so paid $0 but the price I would have had to pay if not covered was $7.31 for the medication + $10 dispensing fee.
My mum was on thyroid medication (thyroxin, I think), and even when she was under 60 it was still a free prescription for her. We should all just go there I think
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:19 pm
  #6891  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 30,124
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
...cost of living, especially with Wisconsin having no sales tax on food, is much more favorable.
You mean there are places that have it on food?

I thought it was generally on eat-in, take-out or luxury foods only.

BristolUK is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:22 pm
  #6892  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,314
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
You mean there are places that have it on food?

I thought it was generally on eat-in, take-out or luxury foods only.
We pay sales tax at the grocery store here in IL. I don't know if it's the full rate, or a reduced rate, I'll have to check my next receipt, but sales tax is applied nonetheless.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:31 pm
  #6893  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,596
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
We pay sales tax at the grocery store here in IL. I don't know if it's the full rate, or a reduced rate, I'll have to check my next receipt, but sales tax is applied nonetheless.
Looks like groceries (not candy, junk food etc) is taxed at a lower rate of 1%.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/questi...Pages/141.aspx

Looks like 7 states tax groceries.

6 states tax at a reduced rate.

3 states don't tax at a state level but might be subject to local tax.

1 state has limited grocery staples which are not taxed.

The remaining states either exempt groceries or have no sales tax.

https://1lz3sq2g71xv1ij3mj13d04u-wpe...t_1280x720.png

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:32 pm
  #6894  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 30,124
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
We pay sales tax at the grocery store here in IL. I don't know if it's the full rate, or a reduced rate, I'll have to check my next receipt, but sales tax is applied nonetheless.
I think a lot of people up here think it's on almost everything because it can be on the bill at the grocery store, while it's actually on the household stuff on that bill.

The one I like is it's not on a bag of frozen shrimps but it is on a frozen shrimp ring.
BristolUK is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:33 pm
  #6895  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,314
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Looks like groceries (not candy, junk food etc) is taxed at a lower rate of 1%.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/questi...Pages/141.aspx

Looks like 7 states tax groceries.

6 states tax at a reduced rate.

3 states don't tax at a state level but might be subject to local tax.

1 state has limited grocery staples which are not taxed.

The remaining states either exempt groceries or have no sales tax.

https://1lz3sq2g71xv1ij3mj13d04u-wpe...t_1280x720.png
Shows how much attention I pay to my receipts. I just know there's a tax line on there.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:34 pm
  #6896  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,314
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I think a lot of people up here think it's on almost everything because it can be on the bill at the grocery store, while it's actually on the household stuff on that bill.

The one I like is it's not on a bag of frozen shrimps but it is on a frozen shrimp ring.
You're paying the tax for the plastic they use to make the ring then?
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:46 pm
  #6897  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 32,301
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

I get some tax on food purchases never been able to work out how it works.
Boiler is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 5:50 pm
  #6898  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,780
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Australia has a 10% GST (goods and services tax) which essentially operates in the same way as the UK's VAT

Basic/unprocessed foods (fresh fruit, veggies, meat, bread etc) are exempt, as are most healthcare and personal products that are deemed essential - medications, sunscreen, nicotine patches, condoms, razor blades and so on

All good so far. Except - it took 18 years for lobbying groups to convince the government to remove the GST on tampons and sanitary pads. Items that the government insisted for those 18 years were 'non-essential'. Bloody hell (pun intentional)
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 6:07 pm
  #6899  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,596
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Australia has a 10% GST (goods and services tax) which essentially operates in the same way as the UK's VAT

Basic/unprocessed foods (fresh fruit, veggies, meat, bread etc) are exempt, as are most healthcare and personal products that are deemed essential - medications, sunscreen, nicotine patches, condoms, razor blades and so on

All good so far. Except - it took 18 years for lobbying groups to convince the government to remove the GST on tampons and sanitary pads. Items that the government insisted for those 18 years were 'non-essential'. Bloody hell (pun intentional)
In BC here in Canada we have a federal GST and provincial PST.

Tampons and such are exempt from PST in BC, not sure if the federal government exempts them, but we do pay tax on things like sunscreen, razor blades, makeup, condoms, toothpaste, toilet paper and the like.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old May 8th 2019, 6:11 pm
  #6900  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 11,476
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
You're paying the tax for the plastic they use to make the ring then?
The bag of frozen shrimp is groceries, and the shrimp ring is a convenience food, same way a bag of chocolate chips is groceries, but a chocolate candy bar is convenience food. Milk is groceries, soda isn't.
caretaker is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.