Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Spent 7 hours with my mum in emergency last Monday (she had a cardiac problem), surrounded by people coughing, hacking, moaning and generally carking it. Now I'm sick as a dog, which is fine, but I hope mum doesn't get whatever it is. I've seen her every day since then 2 years ago she was a very healthy and fit 83 year old, even went to the gym three times a week. Now she's a very frail 85 year old and any illness is dangerous.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:31 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Spent 7 hours with my mum in emergency last Monday (she had a cardiac problem), surrounded by people coughing, hacking, moaning and generally carking it. Now I'm sick as a dog, which is fine, but I hope mum doesn't get whatever it is. I've seen her every day since then 2 years ago she was a very healthy and fit 83 year old, even went to the gym three times a week. Now she's a very frail 85 year old and any illness is dangerous.
Rats.

So hard is that.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry SOS. It's never easy.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Get him in doors to wait on you hand and foot.

Feel better soon.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 9:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Some of that "free luxury housing" handed out to asylum seekers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46282158
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Husband got made redundant this month. News today at work means I wouldn’t lay odds on my job lasting another 6 months. A grim year slithering to an end - not sad to see the back of it, 2018 can **** off to the far side of ****. Unfortunately, when it gets there it will meet Brexit and so more ****wittery to look forward to next year. And then we both turn 50 in the summer.

Is this officially a mid-life crisis? Or is that when we go off and splurge the redundancy money on a 3 month luxury cruise?
Old Nov 20th 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Husband got made redundant this month. News today at work means I wouldn’t lay odds on my job lasting another 6 months. A grim year slithering to an end - not sad to see the back of it, 2018 can **** off to the far side of ****. Unfortunately, when it gets there it will meet Brexit and so more ****wittery to look forward to next year. And then we both turn 50 in the summer.

Is this officially a mid-life crisis? Or is that when we go off and splurge the redundancy money on a 3 month luxury cruise?

Sorry to hear. Are the redundancies related to brexit or something else?

Job hunting is a numbers game - just keep plugging away and something will turn up.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s job. I agree 2018 has been a bad year...I thought 2017 was bad...but it had nothing on 2018.

Here’s hoping 2019 will be better for all us BEers.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 11:33 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's utter crap, and sorry to hear that it lands on you and your husband's shoulders.

I was made redundant in my somewhat convoluted career (at my own instigation to be honest), but I was only 30-something at the time and my 'industry' was ok, so I didn't suffer too bad.

I think that 50 is a bit too soon for the 'mid-life' question - yes, I've done the maths - but ... there remains barges to tote, bales to shift etc etc.

What are hubby's options going forwards?

And do either of you like cruises anyway?

Just asking.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

agree with the 2018 bit, not only is dad on month 6 of his "you probably have 6-9 months left" diagnosis but now Mom has got significant balance issues and has been referred for urgent brain scan
Old Nov 21st 2018, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
agree with the 2018 bit, not only is dad on month 6 of his "you probably have 6-9 months left" diagnosis but now Mom has got significant balance issues and has been referred for urgent brain scan
I’m sorry to read that Zoe.

For for your mum.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
so sorry Zoe.

Thanks for the sympathies for my post - yesterday’s news about my employer tipped me over the edge into ranty mode. Not Brexit related for either of us. Problem is that we both like this area and it’s ideally situated for all our scattered family commitments. However, jobs in our professions are rare around here.

The last last time this happened to me I was young, free and single so only had to worry about myself. How this works when there are two of us and potential jobs are hundreds of miles from here and potentially each other is making my head hurt.

Still, the upside of being older is that the mortgage is small and easily managed on one salary. And worst case, if my job went too we could pay that off and survive on the remainder of the redundancy payment and savings for a while. So we’re still better off than many.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the sympathies for my post - yesterday’s news about my employer tipped me over the edge into ranty mode. Not Brexit related for either of us. Problem is that we both like this area and it’s ideally situated for all our scattered family commitments. However, jobs in our professions are rare around here.

The last last time this happened to me I was young, free and single so only had to worry about myself. How this works when there are two of us and potential jobs are hundreds of miles from here and potentially each other is making my head hurt.

Still, the upside of being older is that the mortgage is small and easily managed on one salary. And worst case, if my job went too we could pay that off and survive on the remainder of the redundancy payment and savings for a while. So we’re still better off than many.
Shitty thing to happen, but I love your 'can do' attitude
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:09 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. My Granny about two years ago was a fighting fit 83 year old.
Went in for a knee replacement and pretty much struggled to get back to as strong as she was, should have had it done 10 years earlier.
Got cancer for (probably) a fourth time.
No coming back, slow decline until she died in the summer.

Horrid difference between the woman who would walk for miles and keep very active to the bed bound bag of bones. Living abroad doesn't help and seeing the step change with every trip home was shocking.

Just remember them how you want, I don't remember Granny lay asleep the day she died, I remember her in goal, or playing Pooh sticks or having a cuddle when I was smaller than her. All the nice bits.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shitty thing to happen, but I love your 'can do' attitude
haha, started off as a “can I retire yet” conversation. Basically, yes if we eat baked beans and don’t do anything and don’t improve our money pit house, we could make the money stretch to state pension age. But I don’t like baked beans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.