Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:24 pm
Still mal-fonted. Why?

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Stella Artois is known as "the old wife beater", possibly a reference to Stanley Kowalski's wife Stella in Streetcar Named Desire since Brando wore that type of singlet in the movie.
And it tastes disgusting. This to me lets Belgian beer down.

It's brewed in Leuven/Louvain where Leffe is also brewed (along with a few other beers) these days following on from various Interbrew buyouts.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

See my post on Vaping...

I can add 'Rude and annoying tourists who come to my golf club to eat, but wear beach clothes ( i do mean bikini's) with see through tops ( and thats just the men ) Sorry , not appropriate . Worst of all. Yesterday,! A women with a very loud voice sitting at a table, two behind ours ,.with her four equally loud companions. Got a phone call on her mobile. She 'yelled' Just a mo Veronica' ,got up and plonked herself down at the table next to ours. Turned her mobile to face us and said 'i'm at the golf club see' ' then continued to have this video call with her friend ,with the camera still pointing at us. I got up and went to order our meal at the bar. When i got back OH was looking slightly pink ,and the woman had gone. When i asked what happend he said. 'Well it was bad enough with the two of them shouting at each other, but when this Veronica started to swear a blue streak about some plumber ,that was it. I told her to shove off and take her call elsewhere. Stunned doesn't't cover it. OH is politeness itself. calm to the point of coma at the things that make me mad. Quite proud of him
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
See my post on Vaping...

I can add 'Rude and annoying tourists who come to my golf club to eat, but wear beach clothes ( i do mean bikini's) with see through tops ( and thats just the men ) Sorry , not appropriate . Worst of all. Yesterday,! A women with a very loud voice sitting at a table, two behind ours ,.with her four equally loud companions. Got a phone call on her mobile. She 'yelled' Just a mo Veronica' ,got up and plonked herself down at the table next to ours. Turned her mobile to face us and said 'i'm at the golf club see' ' then continued to have this video call with her friend ,with the camera still pointing at us. I got up and went to order our meal at the bar. When i got back OH was looking slightly pink ,and the woman had gone. When i asked what happend he said. 'Well it was bad enough with the two of them shouting at each other, but when this Veronica started to swear a blue streak about some plumber ,that was it. I told her to shove off and take her call elsewhere. Stunned doesn't't cover it. OH is politeness itself. calm to the point of coma at the things that make me mad. Quite proud of him
On---the other side----'UK golf club rules, certainly p*ss me off'.
--Many years ago--when OH young enough to play golf, our son and wife and grandson and ourselves went for pre-booked Sunday lunch at OHs UK club. There were young people there with T shirts with slogans,--bare arms, etc. Son was wearing shirt, tie and----ironed smart denim trousers----I had forgotten the no denim rule, and to warn him.
We were asked to leave!
I vowed never to set foot in that club again and never did.
(I myself am a member of a different sort of 'club' with strict dress rules, and if I brought badly dressed guests I would be fined---but never would a guest be insulted).
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit pissed off today because not only has my rheumatoid arthritis changed from being a 'working diagnosis' to an actual diagnosis, my blood test results have deteriorated significantly and I have to start injecting the devil drug again (a.k.a. methotrexate). If it gets so bad that I can't walk, I'm getting one of those zippy buggy things, it's going to be bright red and I'm going to terrorize pedestrians by going really really fast while screaming 'Oh my God, my brakes have failed!'. Hey, you take your fun where you find it.
ps no sympathy needed, I'm having a cracking life and I'll get over my pissed-offedness by tomorrow

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 21st 2018 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I'm a bit pissed off today because not only has my rheumatoid arthritis changed from being a 'working diagnosis' to an actual diagnosis, my blood test results have deteriorated significantly and I have to start injecting the devil drug again (a.k.a. methotrexate). If it gets so bad that I can't walk, I'm getting one of those zippy buggy things, it's going to be bright red and I'm going to terrorize pedestrians by going really really fast while screaming 'Oh my God, my brakes have failed!'. Hey, you take your fun where you find it.
ps no sympathy needed, I'm having a cracking life and I'll get over my pissed-offedness by tomorrow

Just don't buy the buggy from Ikea. a) you will have pieces left over and b) you will have to bolt it to the wall to prevent it from falling over.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 5:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Just don't buy the buggy from Ikea. a) you will have pieces left over and b) you will have to bolt it to the wall to prevent it from falling over.
I'd probably end up bolting myself to the wall, DIY R Not Me! Thanks for the laugh.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:51 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Poo! My Mum was riddled with that from her 40's.
You reminded me though of how I would rush her - in her wheelchair - through any group of pigeons pecking around on the ground & jogging her up and down the prom.
We did all sorts did me and my Mum. Mobility or no mobility.

Do you think the latest poo bucket you were dealt re the development was a bit of a trigger stress wise? Just was thinking that if so , it might be a flare which calms itself.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:40 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Poo! My Mum was riddled with that from her 40's.
You reminded me though of how I would rush her - in her wheelchair - through any group of pigeons pecking around on the ground & jogging her up and down the prom.
We did all sorts did me and my Mum. Mobility or no mobility.

Do you think the latest poo bucket you were dealt re the development was a bit of a trigger stress wise? Just was thinking that if so , it might be a flare which calms itself.
You and your Mum sound like real terrors My Nan had RA, diagnosed at a similar age to your Mum. I'm very fortunate that the treatment available now is much more effective.

I think you're spot on with the trigger. I'm on the Administrator's creditors committee now though, so I can channel the stress into something positive. Like yelling at them 'giz our bloody money back ya wankers!'

If it continues with the odd flare with decent periods of remission, I'm happy. Still dancin', just with the occasional limp.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:25 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Like yelling at them 'giz our bloody money back ya wankers!'

That's a useful phrase in a wide variety of circumstances.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
On---the other side----'UK golf club rules, certainly p*ss me off'.
--Many years ago--when OH young enough to play golf, our son and wife and grandson and ourselves went for pre-booked Sunday lunch at OHs UK club. There were young people there with T shirts with slogans,--bare arms, etc. Son was wearing shirt, tie and----ironed smart denim trousers----I had forgotten the no denim rule, and to warn him.
We were asked to leave!
I vowed never to set foot in that club again and never did.
(I myself am a member of a different sort of 'club' with strict dress rules, and if I brought badly dressed guests I would be fined---but never would a guest be insulted).
That seems harsh. especially in view of the fact you weren't playing. The rules usually apply to players on the course or in the clubhouse , and not to guests coming in for lunch. I would have contested that ( hence our ill clad guests not being asked to leave)I think they have lightened up in recent yrs.

However maybe not in the UK.? Friend told us about going to play at Scarborough They were registering at the club desk when the receptionist said to his friend . 'i'm sorry sir but we can't allow you to play dressed like that.' Friend was astonished. He was in his own clubs T shirt ,shorts ,and regulation golf shoes ( without spikes) When he asked why.. somewhat embarrassed as you can imagine. The man said 'Your not wearing knee high socks sir' 'Oh' , he stammered ,confused.. 'well if thats all I'll just get a pair from the shop' 'Oh we don't sell them in the shop sir ' The baskwiet replied smugly... and that was the end of that.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:54 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

These old fogies and outdated rules are why SO many clubs are struggling..

We were members of a club that rigidly enforced the collared shirt rules we pointed out that Tiger woods now wears shirts without collars, the response " well he would,t be able to play here ."

I am far more concerned about slow play killing golf , than what people are wearing ..
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quite agree They never got over a woman winning one of the first Golf competitions in Scotland so banned them from then on. or put them in separate clubs The wuss's
Reason we didn't learn in Southport ( played Squash) The old Colonels who ran Royal Birkdale wouldn't have a woman anywhere on the premises. Like dogs we had to stay outside .

Would go further with the slow play. They should make a game nine holes. If you wish for longer you have to book separately for a second round. You could also divide the basic 18 hole course into slow or faster players. according to your handicap. One begins on the 1st T the other on the 10 T..
The professionals on TV don't help ,so many take forever over a putt its like watching paint dry. STOP being able to consult your caddy over every little detail. Yardage. wind direction.. thats it...

I do agree that you should be smart out there. but comfortable as well... KNEE SOCKS.? what era is that club in.?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

A good friend became Ladies President 3 years ago at the club Bahtatgirl's just joined (in God's own country). Average membership age 70+. Our friend, being a pragmatist and something of a contrarian, thankfully demolished the no-jeans rule (Bahtatgirl, before joining, once accompanied said LP just to look at the clubhouse, and no sooner than she'd stepped foot from LP's car in the car park, a lady member shouted to the LP "Oh, have we dropped the jeans rule?" -- this in front of a prospective member), battled for ladies to enter the bar, and made various other radical changes.

Quite how the committee thought they could attract new members and stave of financial collapse without changing something, no-one knew. The changes have stabilised things, but its still full of old fogies. I've heard that many male members won't talk to our friend.

Slow play isn't so much a problem there. Over here it most definitely is, with most players being Korean or French, who seem to take opposing attitudes to ruining everyone else's round. I've now taken to playing on my own, in a buggy, teeing off unfashionably late around midday: that a) allows me to miss the Korean hordes who start at 8, and the French who start around 10, b) gives me sufficient speed to be let through on most occasions, c) not usually catch up with any congestion till the last couple of holes, and d) consequently go round in 2 hours or thereabouts (a couple of weeks ago was 1 3/4 hours).
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
A good friend became Ladies President 3 years ago at the club Bahtatgirl's just joined (in God's own country). Average membership age 70+. Our friend, being a pragmatist and something of a contrarian, thankfully demolished the no-jeans rule (Bahtatgirl, before joining, once accompanied said LP just to look at the clubhouse, and no sooner than she'd stepped foot from LP's car in the car park, a lady member shouted to the LP "Oh, have we dropped the jeans rule?" -- this in front of a prospective member), battled for ladies to enter the bar, and made various other radical changes.

Quite how the committee thought they could attract new members and stave of financial collapse without changing something, no-one knew. The changes have stabilised things, but its still full of old fogies. I've heard that many male members won't talk to our friend.

Slow play isn't so much a problem there. Over here it most definitely is, with most players being Korean or French, who seem to take opposing attitudes to ruining everyone else's round. I've now taken to playing on my own, in a buggy, teeing off unfashionably late around midday: that a) allows me to miss the Korean hordes who start at 8, and the French who start around 10, b) gives me sufficient speed to be let through on most occasions, c) not usually catch up with any congestion till the last couple of holes, and d) consequently go round in 2 hours or thereabouts (a couple of weeks ago was 1 3/4 hours).

Has anyone covered the whole "ladies sitting on the second-best furniture" thing? I remember the golf club where my father was a member near London had the no women in the bar thing, and a separate lounge for women with distinctly inferior furniture. As a former Hussar he was also a member of the Cavalry Club in London, where not only did the women sit in a separate room on the inferior furniture, they had to go in through the side entrance
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:43 pm
Concierge

Our UK - Australia shipping container timeline:

Were assured when booking the removal that sole use containers are picked up very quickly by a ship and the standard shipping time is 4 - 6 weeks
8 August - requested that shipment be dispatched asap
23 August - received email saying shipment was being picked up at Liverpool docks on 9 September
ETA in Fremantle port - 1 November

Just the 12 weeks then. Settlement of our house is 27 August - pity we can't move into the bloody thing. I think the First Fleet got here quicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.