Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:24 pm
  #4966  
Still mal-fonted. Why?
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 3,629
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Stella Artois is known as "the old wife beater", possibly a reference to Stanley Kowalski's wife Stella in Streetcar Named Desire since Brando wore that type of singlet in the movie.
And it tastes disgusting. This to me lets Belgian beer down.

It's brewed in Leuven/Louvain where Leffe is also brewed (along with a few other beers) these days following on from various Interbrew buyouts.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:53 pm
  #4967  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,116
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

See my post on Vaping...

I can add 'Rude and annoying tourists who come to my golf club to eat, but wear beach clothes ( i do mean bikini's) with see through tops ( and thats just the men ) Sorry , not appropriate . Worst of all. Yesterday,! A women with a very loud voice sitting at a table, two behind ours ,.with her four equally loud companions. Got a phone call on her mobile. She 'yelled' Just a mo Veronica' ,got up and plonked herself down at the table next to ours. Turned her mobile to face us and said 'i'm at the golf club see' ' then continued to have this video call with her friend ,with the camera still pointing at us. I got up and went to order our meal at the bar. When i got back OH was looking slightly pink ,and the woman had gone. When i asked what happend he said. 'Well it was bad enough with the two of them shouting at each other, but when this Veronica started to swear a blue streak about some plumber ,that was it. I told her to shove off and take her call elsewhere. Stunned doesn't't cover it. OH is politeness itself. calm to the point of coma at the things that make me mad. Quite proud of him
GeniB is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:05 pm
  #4968  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,123
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
See my post on Vaping...

I can add 'Rude and annoying tourists who come to my golf club to eat, but wear beach clothes ( i do mean bikini's) with see through tops ( and thats just the men ) Sorry , not appropriate . Worst of all. Yesterday,! A women with a very loud voice sitting at a table, two behind ours ,.with her four equally loud companions. Got a phone call on her mobile. She 'yelled' Just a mo Veronica' ,got up and plonked herself down at the table next to ours. Turned her mobile to face us and said 'i'm at the golf club see' ' then continued to have this video call with her friend ,with the camera still pointing at us. I got up and went to order our meal at the bar. When i got back OH was looking slightly pink ,and the woman had gone. When i asked what happend he said. 'Well it was bad enough with the two of them shouting at each other, but when this Veronica started to swear a blue streak about some plumber ,that was it. I told her to shove off and take her call elsewhere. Stunned doesn't't cover it. OH is politeness itself. calm to the point of coma at the things that make me mad. Quite proud of him
On---the other side----'UK golf club rules, certainly p*ss me off'.
--Many years ago--when OH young enough to play golf, our son and wife and grandson and ourselves went for pre-booked Sunday lunch at OHs UK club. There were young people there with T shirts with slogans,--bare arms, etc. Son was wearing shirt, tie and----ironed smart denim trousers----I had forgotten the no denim rule, and to warn him.
We were asked to leave!
I vowed never to set foot in that club again and never did.
(I myself am a member of a different sort of 'club' with strict dress rules, and if I brought badly dressed guests I would be fined---but never would a guest be insulted).
Bipat is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:19 pm
  #4969  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,792
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

I'm a bit pissed off today because not only has my rheumatoid arthritis changed from being a 'working diagnosis' to an actual diagnosis, my blood test results have deteriorated significantly and I have to start injecting the devil drug again (a.k.a. methotrexate). If it gets so bad that I can't walk, I'm getting one of those zippy buggy things, it's going to be bright red and I'm going to terrorize pedestrians by going really really fast while screaming 'Oh my God, my brakes have failed!'. Hey, you take your fun where you find it.
ps no sympathy needed, I'm having a cracking life and I'll get over my pissed-offedness by tomorrow

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 21st 2018 at 4:25 pm.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:59 pm
  #4970  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out of place
Posts: 51,702
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I'm a bit pissed off today because not only has my rheumatoid arthritis changed from being a 'working diagnosis' to an actual diagnosis, my blood test results have deteriorated significantly and I have to start injecting the devil drug again (a.k.a. methotrexate). If it gets so bad that I can't walk, I'm getting one of those zippy buggy things, it's going to be bright red and I'm going to terrorize pedestrians by going really really fast while screaming 'Oh my God, my brakes have failed!'. Hey, you take your fun where you find it.
ps no sympathy needed, I'm having a cracking life and I'll get over my pissed-offedness by tomorrow

Just don't buy the buggy from Ikea. a) you will have pieces left over and b) you will have to bolt it to the wall to prevent it from falling over.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 5:07 pm
  #4971  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,792
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Just don't buy the buggy from Ikea. a) you will have pieces left over and b) you will have to bolt it to the wall to prevent it from falling over.
I'd probably end up bolting myself to the wall, DIY R Not Me! Thanks for the laugh.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:51 pm
  #4972  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,553
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I'm a bit pissed off today because not only has my rheumatoid arthritis changed from being a 'working diagnosis' to an actual diagnosis, my blood test results have deteriorated significantly and I have to start injecting the devil drug again (a.k.a. methotrexate). If it gets so bad that I can't walk, I'm getting one of those zippy buggy things, it's going to be bright red and I'm going to terrorize pedestrians by going really really fast while screaming 'Oh my God, my brakes have failed!'. Hey, you take your fun where you find it.
ps no sympathy needed, I'm having a cracking life and I'll get over my pissed-offedness by tomorrow
Poo! My Mum was riddled with that from her 40's.
You reminded me though of how I would rush her - in her wheelchair - through any group of pigeons pecking around on the ground & jogging her up and down the prom.
We did all sorts did me and my Mum. Mobility or no mobility.

Do you think the latest poo bucket you were dealt re the development was a bit of a trigger stress wise? Just was thinking that if so , it might be a flare which calms itself.
BEVS is online now  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:40 am
  #4973  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,792
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Poo! My Mum was riddled with that from her 40's.
You reminded me though of how I would rush her - in her wheelchair - through any group of pigeons pecking around on the ground & jogging her up and down the prom.
We did all sorts did me and my Mum. Mobility or no mobility.

Do you think the latest poo bucket you were dealt re the development was a bit of a trigger stress wise? Just was thinking that if so , it might be a flare which calms itself.
You and your Mum sound like real terrors My Nan had RA, diagnosed at a similar age to your Mum. I'm very fortunate that the treatment available now is much more effective.

I think you're spot on with the trigger. I'm on the Administrator's creditors committee now though, so I can channel the stress into something positive. Like yelling at them 'giz our bloody money back ya wankers!'

If it continues with the odd flare with decent periods of remission, I'm happy. Still dancin', just with the occasional limp.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:25 am
  #4974  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out of place
Posts: 51,702
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Like yelling at them 'giz our bloody money back ya wankers!'
.

That's a useful phrase in a wide variety of circumstances.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:47 am
  #4975  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,116
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
On---the other side----'UK golf club rules, certainly p*ss me off'.
--Many years ago--when OH young enough to play golf, our son and wife and grandson and ourselves went for pre-booked Sunday lunch at OHs UK club. There were young people there with T shirts with slogans,--bare arms, etc. Son was wearing shirt, tie and----ironed smart denim trousers----I had forgotten the no denim rule, and to warn him.
We were asked to leave!
I vowed never to set foot in that club again and never did.
(I myself am a member of a different sort of 'club' with strict dress rules, and if I brought badly dressed guests I would be fined---but never would a guest be insulted).
That seems harsh. especially in view of the fact you weren't playing. The rules usually apply to players on the course or in the clubhouse , and not to guests coming in for lunch. I would have contested that ( hence our ill clad guests not being asked to leave)I think they have lightened up in recent yrs.

However maybe not in the UK.? Friend told us about going to play at Scarborough They were registering at the club desk when the receptionist said to his friend . 'i'm sorry sir but we can't allow you to play dressed like that.' Friend was astonished. He was in his own clubs T shirt ,shorts ,and regulation golf shoes ( without spikes) When he asked why.. somewhat embarrassed as you can imagine. The man said 'Your not wearing knee high socks sir' 'Oh' , he stammered ,confused.. 'well if thats all I'll just get a pair from the shop' 'Oh we don't sell them in the shop sir ' The baskwiet replied smugly... and that was the end of that.
GeniB is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:54 am
  #4976  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

These old fogies and outdated rules are why SO many clubs are struggling..

We were members of a club that rigidly enforced the collared shirt rules we pointed out that Tiger woods now wears shirts without collars, the response " well he would,t be able to play here ."

I am far more concerned about slow play killing golf , than what people are wearing ..
EMR is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:16 am
  #4977  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,116
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Quite agree They never got over a woman winning one of the first Golf competitions in Scotland so banned them from then on. or put them in separate clubs The wuss's
Reason we didn't learn in Southport ( played Squash) The old Colonels who ran Royal Birkdale wouldn't have a woman anywhere on the premises. Like dogs we had to stay outside .

Would go further with the slow play. They should make a game nine holes. If you wish for longer you have to book separately for a second round. You could also divide the basic 18 hole course into slow or faster players. according to your handicap. One begins on the 1st T the other on the 10 T..
The professionals on TV don't help ,so many take forever over a putt its like watching paint dry. STOP being able to consult your caddy over every little detail. Yardage. wind direction.. thats it...

I do agree that you should be smart out there. but comfortable as well... KNEE SOCKS.? what era is that club in.?
GeniB is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:49 pm
  #4978  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

A good friend became Ladies President 3 years ago at the club Bahtatgirl's just joined (in God's own country). Average membership age 70+. Our friend, being a pragmatist and something of a contrarian, thankfully demolished the no-jeans rule (Bahtatgirl, before joining, once accompanied said LP just to look at the clubhouse, and no sooner than she'd stepped foot from LP's car in the car park, a lady member shouted to the LP "Oh, have we dropped the jeans rule?" -- this in front of a prospective member), battled for ladies to enter the bar, and made various other radical changes.

Quite how the committee thought they could attract new members and stave of financial collapse without changing something, no-one knew. The changes have stabilised things, but its still full of old fogies. I've heard that many male members won't talk to our friend.

Slow play isn't so much a problem there. Over here it most definitely is, with most players being Korean or French, who seem to take opposing attitudes to ruining everyone else's round. I've now taken to playing on my own, in a buggy, teeing off unfashionably late around midday: that a) allows me to miss the Korean hordes who start at 8, and the French who start around 10, b) gives me sufficient speed to be let through on most occasions, c) not usually catch up with any congestion till the last couple of holes, and d) consequently go round in 2 hours or thereabouts (a couple of weeks ago was 1 3/4 hours).
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:13 pm
  #4979  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out of place
Posts: 51,702
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
A good friend became Ladies President 3 years ago at the club Bahtatgirl's just joined (in God's own country). Average membership age 70+. Our friend, being a pragmatist and something of a contrarian, thankfully demolished the no-jeans rule (Bahtatgirl, before joining, once accompanied said LP just to look at the clubhouse, and no sooner than she'd stepped foot from LP's car in the car park, a lady member shouted to the LP "Oh, have we dropped the jeans rule?" -- this in front of a prospective member), battled for ladies to enter the bar, and made various other radical changes.

Quite how the committee thought they could attract new members and stave of financial collapse without changing something, no-one knew. The changes have stabilised things, but its still full of old fogies. I've heard that many male members won't talk to our friend.

Slow play isn't so much a problem there. Over here it most definitely is, with most players being Korean or French, who seem to take opposing attitudes to ruining everyone else's round. I've now taken to playing on my own, in a buggy, teeing off unfashionably late around midday: that a) allows me to miss the Korean hordes who start at 8, and the French who start around 10, b) gives me sufficient speed to be let through on most occasions, c) not usually catch up with any congestion till the last couple of holes, and d) consequently go round in 2 hours or thereabouts (a couple of weeks ago was 1 3/4 hours).

Has anyone covered the whole "ladies sitting on the second-best furniture" thing? I remember the golf club where my father was a member near London had the no women in the bar thing, and a separate lounge for women with distinctly inferior furniture. As a former Hussar he was also a member of the Cavalry Club in London, where not only did the women sit in a separate room on the inferior furniture, they had to go in through the side entrance
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:43 pm
  #4980  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,792
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Our UK - Australia shipping container timeline:

Were assured when booking the removal that sole use containers are picked up very quickly by a ship and the standard shipping time is 4 - 6 weeks
8 August - requested that shipment be dispatched asap
23 August - received email saying shipment was being picked up at Liverpool docks on 9 September
ETA in Fremantle port - 1 November

Just the 12 weeks then. Settlement of our house is 27 August - pity we can't move into the bloody thing. I think the First Fleet got here quicker.
spouse of scouse is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.