Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:28 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
, yesterday & Monday.

Relatives visiting from the UK.

Is it really necessary to have your photograph taken every time you eat and drink? Are "please & thank" you really so hard to say? Why do you come here in spring / summer and moan about the heat (& everything else)? Why, when you're given a really nice table in a restaurant, do you insist on moving? Oh, why can't you just stay in b***** Britain?

Good news! They fly back today.
Bad news, they are threatening to come back in a few months time.
Tell them they're acting like Americans. That will soon sort it.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:32 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Tell them they're acting like Americans. That will soon sort it.
Ha ha! Yes.

Actually, athough Americans tend to be loud & a PITA when it comes to ordering food, etc I generally find them considerably more polite than the Brits.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:04 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! Yes.

Actually, athough Americans tend to be loud & a PITA when it comes to ordering food, etc I generally find them considerably more polite than the Brits.
Well, yes. Sadly
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:28 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Sitting outside with scouse and his brother, was told I had a bug in my hair. Battered, bashed and flicked my hair until the bug fell out - only to realise that I'd had my first encounter with a green stink bug. Dry retched all the way to the bathroom to shower and wash my hair. My god, do they pong! I have a new respect for British wildlife.
Ewww. Well, I suppose now you know not to do that anymore!

Ha ha! Yes.

That being said, anyone who says the words 'I need ...', or some variation of 'I'm going to do ...' (and this may also happen in the UK now as well, so I'm not picking on Americans before Hiro11 or someone comes in here and has a fit), when ordering any kind of food, be it at a restaurant or at the deli counter, needs to be slapped about the face with a dead fish.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:14 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Ewww. Well, I suppose now you know not to do that anymore!

That being said, anyone who says the words 'I need ...', or some variation of 'I'm going to do ...' (and this may also happen in the UK now as well, so I'm not picking on Americans before Hiro11 or someone comes in here and has a fit), when ordering any kind of food, be it at a restaurant or at the deli counter, needs to be slapped about the face with a dead fish.
Agreed!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:35 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed!
I was surprised to hear the anecdote regarding Brits not minding their p's and q's though. We may not necessarily be as outwardly friendly as our American cousins, but my experience back in Blighty was we at least remembered to say thank you when we were being served, or at a check out or wherever.

Of course, that might just be us salt-of-the-earth specimens in Northern Ireland
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:18 pm
Dedicated European

I was surprised to hear the anecdote regarding Brits not minding their p's and q's though. We may not necessarily be as outwardly friendly as our American cousins, but my experience back in Blighty was we at least remembered to say thank you when we were being served, or at a check out or wherever.

Of course, that might just be us salt-of-the-earth specimens in Northern Ireland
I think it is a relatively recent (& unwelcome) trend - certainly my perception of the British was of a polite race, not any more.
​​​
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:40 pm
Grove 4 Life

I think it is a relatively recent (& unwelcome) trend - certainly my perception of the British was of a polite race, not any more.
​​​
Well I will continue to offer a 'cheers, mate' to anyone who sells me my sweeties when I'm visiting, to redress the balance.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

My wife does the "We're going to do the....." if we decide to split appetisers/entree's. As a result, I try not to share apps and such with her too much, that really grinds my gears for some reason. I often say 'can I get the ................, please'. I've no idea why the wife's wording grinds me greatly though, it just doesn't sit/sound right when it's being said.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:40 pm
Grove 4 Life

Originally Posted by Maste View Post
My wife does the "We're going to do the....." if we decide to split appetisers/entree's. As a result, I try not to share apps and such with her too much, that really grinds my gears for some reason. I often say 'can I get the ................, please'. I've no idea why the wife's wording grinds me greatly though, it just doesn't sit/sound right when it's being said.
Oof, that's unfortunate.

But yeah, I just don't like that phrasing for some reason, can't explain it, but it just grates.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hate the phrase used by servers in restaurants...’have you finished working on this’. I don’t ‘work’ on my food...I eat it!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:47 pm
Grove 4 Life

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Hate the phrase used by servers in restaurants...’have you finished working on this’. I don’t ‘work’ on my food...I eat it!
Never ran into that one in the wild, but it's kind of a searing indictment of the food they serve if they suggest that it's work to eat it
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Never ran into that one in the wild, but it's kind of a searing indictment of the food they serve if they suggest that it's work to eat it
Never thought of it that way before.

Servers in the US say it...or at least they did in NJ...Canada too.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:19 pm
Grove 4 Life

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Never thought of it that way before.

Servers in the US say it...or at least they did in NJ...Canada too.
It is entirely possible it's been said to us here and I was so engrossed in stuffing my face I didn't realize. Usually they just ask if everything is OK, or something along those lines.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It is entirely possible it's been said to us here and I was so engrossed in stuffing my face I didn't realize. Usually they just ask if everything is OK, or something along those lines.
It is usually when the server comes to clear away the plates and there is food left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.