Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Apr 14th 2018, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
Am off to Tokyo for 3 weeks
Lovely...what a fantastic holiday.

I look forward to seeing pics when you get back. Hopefully by then winter will have gone at long last.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:04 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Heading back to the office after grabbing lunch, I saw this absolute twunt pull to a stop light at, well I say at, of course I mean a car's length in front of, a red light and 75 tons of snow falls from their roof completely obscuring any semblance of an adequate view out of their windscreen.

Do they get up and clean it off, since the lights going in the direction we were traveling had just turned red and the green was on a main road? Did they bollocks, a quick swipe of the wipers is all they did. A token effort at best but why the shit can't people clean the snow off their roof before heading out. Is it really too much to expect?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:29 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Heading back to the office after grabbing lunch, I saw this absolute twunt pull to a stop light at, well I say at, of course I mean a car's length in front of, a red light and 75 tons of snow falls from their roof completely obscuring any semblance of an adequate view out of their windscreen.

Do they get up and clean it off, since the lights going in the direction we were traveling had just turned red and the green was on a main road? Did they bollocks, a quick swipe of the wipers is all they did. A token effort at best but why the shit can't people clean the snow off their roof before heading out. Is it really too much to expect?
Snow?, still? - really?

So far away and not even warmer, jeez.

Never did see the attraction meself
Old Apr 16th 2018, 6:36 pm
Cultural Marxist

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Snow?, still? - really?

So far away and not even warmer, jeez.

Never did see the attraction meself
Unexpected mid-April snow, yeah. Not uncommon in itself but usually it's warmer on the days either side meaning it's low impact and melts quickly. Right now it's like bloody January out there.

Snow sucks.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:51 pm
Queen of Diplomacy

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Unexpected mid-April snow, yeah. Not uncommon in itself but usually it's warmer on the days either side meaning it's low impact and melts quickly. Right now it's like bloody January out there.

Snow sucks.
My sister has freezing rain. She's leaving to come here tonight but there's been so much of the snow/sleet/rain shit that she's got water running out of the kitchen light. Roofer is coming today but she's had to turn off the electricity.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:20 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Then when holidays were discussed, I'd say I'm flying south to the sun. "Why don't you go skiing?" they'd ask. Dumb question.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 11:10 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

My ridiculous fear of flying.

I have to go to Italy at the end of May for work and I'm travelling solo. I hate flying and always end up in tears on the plane, but I've always travelled with Mr GG before, who's put up with me and I normally just push on through. This time I've got to do it all by myself. The thought of it is already causing enormous anxiety and insomnia (I was up before 5am today, feeling nauseous at the thought of it). And it's still over 5 weeks before I even travel. Urgh. I just want it to be June already.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post

I have to go to Italy at the end of May for work and I'm travelling solo. I hate flying and always end up in tears on the plane, but I've always travelled with Mr GG before, who's put up with me and I normally just push on through. This time I've got to do it all by myself. The thought of it is already causing enormous anxiety and insomnia (I was up before 5am today, feeling nauseous at the thought of it). And it's still over 5 weeks before I even travel. Urgh. I just want it to be June already.
Unless you deliberately enrolled yourself in a 'How To Be Scared Of Flying' course, then your fear of flying's not ridiculous at all, it's just how you feel

It's awful that it's causing you such anxiety. I suppose you've tried all the usual - courses run by airlines/airports, a mild sedative, a drink or two etc (you can tell me to bog off if you want to)

I hope the flights not nearly as scary as the anticipation of it xx
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:23 am
Queen of Diplomacy

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Aw, GG it's a crap thing. My partner is petrified to fly as well and as much as he tells himself all the rational things about safety and stuff it doesn't make it easier. Your fear is completely understandable. that the flights go quickly for you and you manage to get some rest.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:29 am
it's not true!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I face something difficult or unpleasant I concentrate on what will be the other side of the event in question - even if its something mundane like "Afterwards I'll be sitting down with a nice glass of wine and all will be back to normal".
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Whenever I face something difficult or unpleasant I concentrate on what will be the other side of the event in question - even if its something mundane like "Afterwards I'll be sitting down with a nice glass of wine and all will be back to normal".
That's a technique I use, too. The project I'm on has some, er, difficulties ... but I know that in a few years my colleagues and I will be looking back on it and saying, "Yeah, that was tough, but we got through it".
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:28 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
That's a technique I use, too. The project I'm on has some, er, difficulties ... but I know that in a few years my colleagues and I will be looking back on it and saying, "Yeah, that was tough, but we got through it".
Been there and got the t-shirt (and awards) for it. My technicians used to joke that when higher management found a problem that looked sticky, they would hand me the "holy hand grenade" ...... and that I would defuse it hand hand it back!

On the subject of flying - I must be in the mid-hundreds of flights by now and always think of the old joke that flying isn't the problem, landing is! Personally, I can't stand ships..... a throwback to many journeys on the Fishguard-Rosslare ferry that were memorable for all the wrong reasons!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:35 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Its never easy to reduce someones fears with mere facts and statistics, because the fear itself is not entirely rational itself, its often about loss of control and strange situations.

However:

Talk to an old hand steward/ess about how many crashes or the worst situation they have been in. You realise how rare serious issues are, for many a blocked toilet is the worst thing they have seen in 25 years. The worst air turbulence may break your bones if you arent strapped in, but for the plane its of no consequence at all.

Realise that far more get hurt getting to the airport than in the flight.

Realise that the true operating ‘envelope’ of planes is far wider than you ever see, they can do remarkable things if nobodys going to get thrown around and the airline dont care about stressing the plane which shortens its working life.

Realise how sophisticated things really are - eg that in really modern planes, the engines in flight are actually managed by their manufacturers service centre who have remote access to their performance info live, to assist the pilots and inform ground engineers on arrival.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:42 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The day after the london hurricane years ago, i flew frankfurt to heathrow on lufthansa. They warned us before take-off that conditions round heathrow werent good and planes were queueing to land.

After the 45 min flight over the steward announced in his germanesque voice ‘ladies und gentlemen, zere is to be about a 90 minute delay in landing at heaserow, ve may encounter some movement, but ze bar is open!’ Got to love their efficiency/sense of humour.’
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:57 am
it's not true!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Planes over ships anyday!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement