Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

I'm still treated like this when I return home. I swear to God I'm in the loft within an hour or arriving.
That's the problem with leaving home young - you are forever stuck in their minds at that age.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:21 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's the problem with leaving home young - you are forever stuck in their minds at that age.
Nah. She saves jobs up. If she knows I'm coming the bins don't get put out for weeks in advance and I'm in the loft bringing down Xmas decs in August.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 2:46 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We generally go together.
I refuse to go without a list.
The list is made from the future 5 dinners and lunches we are buying.
The list in not a toy.
Where's a ****ing pen?
I drive the trolley, she ****s off and wanders and returns with all sorts of shit not on the list or on the list but wrong.
I go aisle by aisle with a rigidity I can't enforce elsewhere in my life.
I can spend north of 30mins in the pork section, justifying.
My wife gives the reason she doesn't go with me as the fact that she buys a bunch of extra crap we didn't go in for, but I stick to the list so it's cheaper. I tend to agree with her and while it's sometimes nice to have company I do tend to prefer going alone just because it's quicker and it's nice to be by myself for half an hour or so.

I usually have a list, but it's mainly because if I'm going for more than five things I'll start to forget items . Most of the time we just wing it - no dinners planned but I'll pick up enough examples of the meat and sides we usually use to make the things we like with a 'top up' trip on the way home from work to pick up any fresh veg and shit that would just end up sitting in the fridge going bad while we work out what we want to make with it.

I do stick to a firm aisle to aisle routine though. I hate it when the stores rearrange the sections because then I can never bloody find anything.

I love food shopping. I actually do, I used to with Mum, I like the order of a list and aisles maybe. I can also guess the total to within about 30dhs (let's say 4-6 quid).
I used to go with my mum too, we used to go every Wednesday. We'd get the bus in and then have to get a taxi home because she didn't have a car at the time, but it was fun. Later on when she had a car I'd still go but as I got older, she'd prefer I didn't because I always ended up wanting all kinds of chocolate and snacks and I ended up costing her too much money

I would rather just order online and have the shop deliver like they do in the UK, but they don't do that here really. There is some online grocery shopping but it's not run by the shops themselves so you pay premium price and get less choice.
What about Peapod? Don't they deliver groceries?

I don't think I could trust an online service not to arse the whole thing up. It took me long enough to begin to trust that the cashiers could bag everything right (and they still don't half the time), but at least I can load up the belt in an order that promotes 'correct' bagging.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:00 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Inland revenue web site, get 95% through my return then keeps logging me out.
Bet they will not accept that as a reason for late payment.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

What about Peapod? Don't they deliver groceries?

I don't think I could trust an online service not to arse the whole thing up. It took me long enough to begin to trust that the cashiers could bag everything right (and they still don't half the time), but at least I can load up the belt in an order that promotes 'correct' bagging.
They do, but see comment about premium pricing and low choice plus delivery fees plus tip.

I've used them to order ahead so there's some food that just arrives when coming back from a trip to England, but that's about it.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:50 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

They do, but see comment about premium pricing and low choice plus delivery fees plus tip.

I've used them to order ahead so there's some food that just arrives when coming back from a trip to England, but that's about it.

Yeah, all pretty solid dealbreakers, there.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:48 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
If you mean the UK IR and are resident outside the UK then you are not supposed to use HMRC software for your return but software from a third party on their suggested list - which of course costs you! Perhaps their system sussed out you are outside the UK?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:27 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
If you mean the UK IR and are resident outside the UK then you are not supposed to use HMRC software for your return but software from a third party on their suggested list - which of course costs you! Perhaps their system sussed out you are outside the UK?
I am in the UK , so thats not the issue.
Spoke to HMRC did all the resets.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:28 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the UK , so thats not the issue.
Spoke to HMRC did all the resets.
Ah, OK, that's good!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Courtesy of my maternal grandmother who was born on the Wirral, I have quite a few distant cousins living in NW England. I've been speaking with some of them on FB for years, and yesterday one of them and her husband came to visit.She was nice. He turned the visit into 4 hours of unmitigated hell. You'll all recognize the type.

He wasn't at all interested in us, it was all about him.

Every time anyone tried to contribute to his monologue, they'd be totally ignored and he just kept on talking.

His wife tried to cut him off a few times by asking us about our travels, with predictable results. Everywhere we'd been, he'd been too but more times. Everywhere we'd been that he hadn't, he'd say (with a look of distaste on his mug) that he'd never had a desire to travel to there.

I was telling my cousin about a great experience we had travelling on the Reunification Express train in Vietnam, sharing a sleeper cabin with 4 Vietnamese lads. There went that look of distaste again - 'oh, I wouldn't do that. It's first class for us, all the way'.

He couldn't be doing with a courtyard like ours, he likes his big garden. I was so bloody tempted to ask if it had room for a pony.

My cousin wanted a look around our house. She loved the bathroom, we knocked down a wall and ripped out cupboards to make a huge space that includes a large walk in shower. She was saying to him how lovely it is, and he snapped 'yes yes yes, it's a bathroom'

By the time they left my jaw was aching from keeping a fixed smile on my face and I had a thumping headache. As he drove off, he yelled out the window 'we must do this again soon!' As we Aussies say, pig's arse! What a wanker
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather just order online and have the shop deliver like they do in the UK, but they don't do that here really. There is some online grocery shopping but it's not run by the shops themselves so you pay premium price and get less choice.
The supermarkets deliver here but for fresh produce I like to choose my own.

BTW looks like M&S will be starting home delivery of food soon. Another reason to move back home.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
The supermarkets deliver here but for fresh produce I like to choose my own.

BTW looks like M&S will be starting home delivery of food soon. Another reason to move back home.
I'm not short of reasons, I'm short of cash I'd go tomorrow if I could.

Well actually, not until Little Lion finishes high school next year. Maybe we should start a BE lottery pool.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 12:27 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That appears to be Estonian, or was Google leading me up the garden path there?
Spot on.

Google is your friend.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds spookily like booking online with Easy jet.. You have completed your life' s work.. otherwise known as the booking form. paid.. Come to print off the the ticket..and voila! Your bumped off. Twice we have had to argue the toss at the airport ,where they told us to go and pay an extra 25 euro's to get it printed by them.Usually after queueing for an hour. it's always at another desk of course. Refused to pay both times and starred them down.They capitulate after awhile because they know it's a scam.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Courtesy of my maternal grandmother who was born on the Wirral, I have quite a few distant cousins living in NW England. I've been speaking with some of them on FB for years, and yesterday one of them and her husband came to visit.She was nice. He turned the visit into 4 hours of unmitigated hell. You'll all recognize the type.

He wasn't at all interested in us, it was all about him.

Every time anyone tried to contribute to his monologue, they'd be totally ignored and he just kept on talking.

His wife tried to cut him off a few times by asking us about our travels, with predictable results. Everywhere we'd been, he'd been too but more times. Everywhere we'd been that he hadn't, he'd say (with a look of distaste on his mug) that he'd never had a desire to travel to there.

I was telling my cousin about a great experience we had travelling on the Reunification Express train in Vietnam, sharing a sleeper cabin with 4 Vietnamese lads. There went that look of distaste again - 'oh, I wouldn't do that. It's first class for us, all the way'.

He couldn't be doing with a courtyard like ours, he likes his big garden. I was so bloody tempted to ask if it had room for a pony.

My cousin wanted a look around our house. She loved the bathroom, we knocked down a wall and ripped out cupboards to make a huge space that includes a large walk in shower. She was saying to him how lovely it is, and he snapped 'yes yes yes, it's a bathroom'

By the time they left my jaw was aching from keeping a fixed smile on my face and I had a thumping headache. As he drove off, he yelled out the window 'we must do this again soon!' As we Aussies say, pig's arse! What a wanker
So sorry you didn't. I would have loved to have heard the answer! Wanker indeed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.