Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

We need to preserve history, Lets put these statues in a museum

We need to preserve history, Lets put these statues in a museum

Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:23 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We need to preserve history, Lets put these statues in a museum

Shelley said it best about statues. Nothing lasts forever, and no matter how great a leader they were, time cuts them down.

"I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.”
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuTziE View Post
Shelley said it best about statues. Nothing lasts forever, and no matter how great a leader they were, time cuts them down.

"I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.”
Myself and my wife were just disusing this poem and its relationship to today's issues, just yesterday.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:25 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Just read that Vera Lynn has passed away! Part of UK history!
Yes, indeed. Very sad. May this lovely lady rest in peace, and forever be remembered for her contribution to our nation.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I think the first step is to rethink the phrase "Indian mutiny"
First War of Independence and Indian Rebellion of 1857 are two alternatives used by some.
edit: your link uses "First Indian War of Independence in 1857"
This story interested me because I grew up in this area of West London and know the area well.
I never knew of the connection between Henry Havelock and India, and I can see why the largely Indian Population might want to change it. Presuming they were aware of it?
The same Henry Havelock has a statue in Trafalgar Square which is getting a lot of attention.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good call by the Governor General of Jamaica.

Governor-General Sir Patrick Allen has announced that he has suspended personal use of the insignia of the Order of St Michael and St George (GCMG) containing the offending image.
https://kingshouse.gov.jm/gg-suspend...gcmg-insignia/

TBH I always thought Satan or The Devil to be red all over hence my clubs nickname the Red Devils.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 12:02 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post

Governor-General Sir Patrick Allen has announced that he has suspended personal use of the insignia of the Order of St Michael and St George (GCMG) containing the offending image.

TBH I always thought Satan or The Devil to be red all over hence my clubs nickname the Red Devils.

100% a good call.

We've a small township here named after Henry Havelock. Same for Picton. I think maybe these places will be renamed, possibly using the older Maori names Motuweka for Havelock and Waitohi for Picton.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 2:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I'm shocked surprised horrified he's portrayed as black. Considering how many recipients are not white skinned, I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I was expecting our corps of statue defenders to pop up for this one. Strangely, they haven't.....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-july-4-speech
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:51 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I was expecting our corps of statue defenders to pop up for this one. Strangely, they haven't.....

Wow.

Although why people who are still alive deserve statues, I don't know.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

Damn, beat me to it.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:58 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

A John Brown statue was defaced again in New York back in 2018, I dont remember them complaining about that, back then, either.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

I can only think of one
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:24 am
He/him

I can only think of one
Matt Busby died a rather long time ago. (and yes I know who you mean, and no, he doesnt)
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:04 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Matt Busby died a rather long time ago. (and yes I know who you mean, and no, he doesnt)
Le Tiss definitely deserves a statue.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Would the person who discovers the vaccine for crono 19,would they get a statue huuummmm what do you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.