Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Vaping rules likely to be relaxed

Vaping rules likely to be relaxed

Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vaping rules likely to be relaxed

What are your thoughts on the prospect of Vaping rules being relaxed? Allowing Vaping in public places, bars ,restaurants etc

I just had lunch with my OH and a couple of friends at our Golf club. After playing for 3+hrs it was lovely to sit and relax on the clubs verandah and enjoy a beer and a meal in the fresh air and sunshine. A meal that was almost immediately spoiled by a French guy behind us who brought out his vaping 'thing'. Clouds of vapour + 'whatever' ? billowed over us.Really unpleasant. If this is the future ..NO THANKS.. No different from smoking for the victims of the habits
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:25 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaping rules likely to be relaxed

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
What are your thoughts on the prospect of Vaping rules being relaxed? Allowing Vaping in public places, bars ,restaurants etc

I just had lunch with my OH and a couple of friends at our Golf club. After playing for 3+hrs it was lovely to sit and relax on the clubs verandah and enjoy a beer and a meal in the fresh air and sunshine. A meal that was almost immediately spoiled by a French guy behind us who brought out his vaping 'thing'. Clouds of vapour + 'whatever' ? billowed over us.Really unpleasant. If this is the future ..NO THANKS.. No different from smoking for the victims of the habits
In the UK vaping is allowed in many restaurants and pubs - it's at the discretion of the venue. I think that's currently under review though.

It's a lot better than smoking (I used to smoke a pipe - I shudder to think what it must have been like for those around me).`

Where are you?
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Portugal Jimenato a country that went 'green' a long while ago.They also abstained from smoking in public places a long while ago. However we noticed last week that ashtrays had begun to appear on the tables seemingly for the French and Spanish tourist. who apparently.. don't give a damn
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:46 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been vaping for over three years, and find that the attitude varies from country to country. I would never vape in a restaurant, anywhere; when in a pub in the UK - very rare these days - I would always ask their policy. In CH I always go outside, in BE most of the places I've visited have 'dedicated' smoking/vaping zones outside.

I think that just because vaping is 'vaguely acceptable' compared to smoking tobacco, then the establishment concerned should still provide some sort of segregation so that non smokers/vapers are left in peace.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Portugal Jimenato a country that went 'green' a long while ago.They also abstained from smoking in public places a long while ago. However we noticed last week that ashtrays had begun to appear on the tables seemingly for the French and Spanish tourist. who apparently.. don't give a damn
Apparently there are a group of UK MPs who are suggesting vaping be allowed in certain places, however others are saying that the effect of long term use have yet to be discovered. When you consider that it's not too many years ago that cigarettes were being advertised as 'recommended by doctors' that we can all see the pitfalls of changing any of the rules now in place.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:57 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Apparently there are a group of UK MPs who are suggesting vaping be allowed in certain places, however others are saying that the effect of long term use have yet to be discovered. When you consider that it's not too many years ago that cigarettes were being advertised as 'recommended by doctors' that we can all see the pitfalls of changing any of the rules now in place.
Same group of MPs are advocating that vape material being made available on prescription! What utter tosh! Vaping is overall cheaper than smoking, so if the smokers can afford to smoke, they can definitely afford to vape, why on earth should the tax-payer have to stump up?

It takes a bit of willpower to switch from tobacco, and it can be a 'bit fiddly' to start, but with a bit of persistence it's not too difficult. It took me around ten days to cut out tobacco completely.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Totally agree wonder at this attitude .Something that goes in and out of your mouth and is then passed on to the public. Feel free to do it at home by all means, but allow me the choice not to inhale your S**t Pretty straight forward to me.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

When you say 'public places' do you mean outdoors or indoors?

There is a big difference between indoors and outdoors the UK.

It is not allowed by law for anyone to smoke indoors in any enclosed place of work. Enclosed is defined - e.g. sports stadiums are enclosed - you can't smoke there.

I don't think there are any laws about outdoors. It is allowed by law to smoke in pub beer gardens and terraces.

However some venues have their own rules and don't allow smoking in some outdoor areas.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I have been vaping for over three years, and find that the attitude varies from country to country. I would never vape in a restaurant, anywhere; when in a pub in the UK - very rare these days - I would always ask their policy. In CH I always go outside, in BE most of the places I've visited have 'dedicated' smoking/vaping zones outside.

I think that just because vaping is 'vaguely acceptable' compared to smoking tobacco, then the establishment concerned should still provide some sort of segregation so that non smokers/vapers are left in peace.
Why have you 'vaped' for years Bucksie? It was invented in the 60's in America in order to help people give up smoking. not worked with you then.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

It is not allowed by law for anyone to smoke indoors in any enclosed place of work. Enclosed is defined - e.g. sports stadiums are enclosed - you can't smoke there.

I don't think there are any laws about outdoors. It is allowed by law to smoke in pub beer gardens and terraces.

However some venues have their own rules and don't allow smoking in some outdoor areas.

No idea what the rule is going to be. It was on another forum that it was being 'discussed' I don't actually see a great deal of difference between indoor and outdoor . If your within the vicinity of the smoke/vapour you will inhale it. Indoors or out. If the only seat(s) left to you in a pub garden is next to a smoker/vapour .They are infringing on your rights to sit there ..
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:16 pm
BEfuddled

Why have you 'vaped' for years Bucksie? It was invented in the 60's in America in order to help people give up smoking. not worked with you then.
No, no it's definitely worked for me.

It wasn't available here in CH until much, much later than in the US. On top it's only been in the last few months that one can buy the liquid with nicotine here, so either buy via internet or pop over to France.

Contrast with BE where one cannot buy it via internet, only directly by visiting a shop.

As I said in post #4, attitudes vary from country to country.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 6:34 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

In Portugal there's a similar arrangement - no smoking in enclosed workspaces and (since Jan this year) some defined outdoor spaces where children are likely to be present eg campsites and playgrounds (although not sports grounds or football stadia). Also since Jan, vaping treated on a par with tobacco smoking.

Some restaurants and bars still allow smoking indoors but have to comply with regs re: extractors and segregation etc. It's perfectly normal for ashtrays to be on outside café / restaurant tables and for them to be used by Portuguese clients.

I haven't heard anything about proposals for the relaxation of he existing smoking restrictions in Portugal - there were complaints after the last revision that it hadn't gone far enough, especially as the government dropped some measures from the draft proposals before enacting the final law.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
In Portugal there's a similar arrangement - no smoking in enclosed workspaces and (since Jan this year) some defined outdoor spaces where children are likely to be present eg campsites and playgrounds (although not sports grounds or football stadia). Also since Jan, vaping treated on a par with tobacco smoking.

Some restaurants and bars still allow smoking indoors but have to comply with regs re: extractors and segregation etc. It's perfectly normal for ashtrays to be on outside café / restaurant tables and for them to be used by Portuguese clients.

I haven't heard anything about proposals for the relaxation of he existing smoking restrictions in Portugal - there were complaints after the last revision that it hadn't gone far enough, especially as the government dropped some measures from the draft proposals before enacting the final law.

Interesting about the smoking where children are present.. This French guy was vaping all over his 3/4 yrs old child. Obviously not working for him
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
No, no it's definitely worked for me.

It wasn't available here in CH until much, much later than in the US. On top it's only been in the last few months that one can buy the liquid with nicotine here, so either buy via internet or pop over to France.

Contrast with BE where one cannot buy it via internet, only directly by visiting a shop.

As I said in post #4, attitudes vary from country to country.
Why is that 'working ' for you You haven't given up smoking. Just replaced it with another type. Didn't you post with a list of illness's awhile back? tests etc. Do you see any correlation with smoking /vaping and those illness's? Come on Bucksie.. you don't want to miss out on those gorgeous chocolates in Turnhout and that wonderful food in Antwerp Hand it over... and i'll i'll chuck it in the bin
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:11 am
FreeThinker

I think that whatever the health dangers and anti-social aspects of vaping it is a huge improvement in every way on smoking.

That in itself is a result.

The only downside that can see is that as vaping is so much safer, some young people might be drawn to starting it. But I can't really imagine that anyone would start to vape when they would never have dreamt of smoking. If they do that instead of starting smoking that is far preferable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.