Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

To Vaccinate or Not..

To Vaccinate or Not..

Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying that the risk is miniscule when compared to the risks of failure to vaccinate.

Quarantine doesn't help - by the time you know you've got it, it's too late. You also cannot quarantine a mother from an embryo.

As it happens, I do also wish to be protected from killing children in a car accident because they aren't buckled up, just as I wish to be protected from killing motorcyclists in an accident because they aren't wearing helmets.
I agree with what you say but also to start vaccinating children without permission of their parent or guardian goes against all instincts (and UK law).

Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I agree !!!!!!
You seem to have an understanding problem. My posts are about parental permission .

I am saying -------if all you say to the parent does not convince them-----then you cannot do it without their permission! They have a right to worry.

In reality they will have come to see you for something else and you point out about vaccinations not done----it will be 'flagged up' on the records-----.
You give the reasons----if you don't convince---=-it is THEIR decision.

(Lists are kept of those not vaccinated, all vaccinations have to be carefully listed in order to get the money!!!!!)

Are you saying you should 'grab' the baby and vaccinate?????
Not at all. But parents have trust in healthcare professionals as providers. Give them the literature to read by all means. Answer any questions/concerns truthfully, but reassuringly; but don't over-inflate your level of expertise/competence in order to onanise the ego in front of a captive audience.

Last edited by vinegarboy; Mar 27th 2019 at 5:32 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Vaca in Spanish too, which is even closer. Bovine, I think, comes from 'bovem' meaning 'bull'.

Haha. I do wish we could share a pint, bud.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy View Post
Not at all. But parents have trust in healthcare professionals as providers. Give them the literature to read by all means. Answer any questions/concerns truthfully, but reassuringly; but don't over-inflate your level of expertise/competence in order to onanise the ego in front if a captive audience.
Don't get your point. You have strange 'high- flown' ideas about medics!!!
UK GPs want the children to be vaccinated---They get money for it!!!!
-There are generally two reasons why it is not already done. Those parents who have read a lot of literature and don't want to take the smallest risk and those that have just not bothered to bring the child.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't get your point. You have strange 'high- flown' ideas about medics!!!
UK GPs want the children to be vaccinated---They get money for it!!!!
-There are generally two reasons why it is not already done. Those parents who have read a lot of literature and don't want to take the smallest risk and those that have just not bothered to bring the child.
It isn't about money, dear; that's an insult to GPs.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:37 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Haha. I do wish we could share a pint, bud.
Would be nice, a pint is always welcome.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
* cough *
whooping cough?
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what you say but also to start vaccinating children without permission of their parent or guardian goes against all instincts (and UK law).
Do you agree with sending children to school over parents' objections?

Tbh, it shouldn't come to that. Public education should be strong enough to overcome superstition and false "information" and promote rational behaviour.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

(It's spelled minuscule, kittycat.)
It is. That's two spelling/grammar mistakes on me over the last two days. I shall have to resign my "petty grammar nazi" title if this continues.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
whooping cough?
Turn and cough.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 5:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
whooping cough?
Whoop!

It's just a sniffle guv. I'm fine. Really.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I actually had measles as a child too, having missed the universal vaccination years. I clocked a 105F fever, had seizures (yes, I know that explains a few things ), got a secondary ear infection, and was ill for a good two weeks, missing three weeks of school. Fun times.
TheVileEx's mother contracted measles just before he was born. It caused him to permanently lose the hearing in his right ear (I never went into the details, but presumably he developed an inner ear infection either in the womb or postnatal)

Perhaps it also caused him to be a sociopath, we will never know.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:44 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Vaccinate or Not..

I'm another who had measles as a child, both my brother's had it in 1965 and I got it too. I was born in 1965 and I've been left with some hearing loss too. Apparently the GP diagnosed me having it again in 1970 but I'm guessing he probably mis-diagnosed rubella.
I'm very much in favour of vaccinations and must get my flu vaccine next month. Unless there is a very good, specific health reason to not vaccinate a child then all children should be vaccinated.
I've seen a number of ante-natal women who experience high levels of stress because they have been in contact with someone who has one of these eminently preventable diseases. The same goes for those who are immuno-comprised. I see it as selfish behaviour by the misguided.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 5:22 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I'm another who had measles as a child, both my brother's had it in 1965 and I got it too. I was born in 1965 and I've been left with some hearing loss too. Apparently the GP diagnosed me having it again in 1970 but I'm guessing he probably mis-diagnosed rubella.
I'm very much in favour of vaccinations and must get my flu vaccine next month. Unless there is a very good, specific health reason to not vaccinate a child then all children should be vaccinated.
I've seen a number of ante-natal women who experience high levels of stress because they have been in contact with someone who has one of these eminently preventable diseases. The same goes for those who are immuno-comprised. I see it as selfish behaviour by the misguided.
I wish a few other posters on here would take note of that line and stop condemning a minority out of hand. Vccinations can kill as much as the diseaes they are supposed to prevent
Vaccinating against parents wishes could easily kill a child - I know, I am a child that had to be given CPR after being vaccinated. Doctors need to listen to the parents and do as instructed, they are doctors, not gods.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is not those with specific medical reasons, not sure there would be much resistance to the very few in this category.

I also had measles, not pleasant.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.