Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

UKIP STARTING TO MAKE FRIENDS

UKIP STARTING TO MAKE FRIENDS

Old May 8th 2015, 4:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKIP STARTING TO MAKE FRIENDS

I had not realised that 1 Ukip mp ( turncoat tory ) a decljne in 50% of their Mp,s ( another turn coat ,thrown out by the locals ) was the earthquake in UK politics that some think it is.

Using that peculiar line of thinking QPR will not be relegated and Liverpool have won the premier league
as using Ukip speak results do not mean anything.
Come 2020 we will be talking of the late lamented by some WHO KIP.

Last edited by EMR; May 8th 2015 at 4:12 pm.
Old May 8th 2015, 4:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
But there's just so much butthurt and it's fun to take the piss.
True, anyone who espouses a caause to the extent paulry did, and the cause does so badly, has to accept that he is going to get flack, lots and lots of it.
Old May 8th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
True, anyone who espouses a caause to the extent paulry did, and the cause does so badly, has to accept that he is going to get flack, lots and lots of it.
You have that nailed
Old May 8th 2015, 5:04 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
UKIP saw a 400% increase in the number of people voting for them across the whole of the UK. 1 in 8 people voted for them - they had more votes than the LIB DEMS and SNP combined.

I don't think they did badly at all.

I do think it is a very sad reflection of the state of the UK
Old May 8th 2015, 7:18 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh View Post
I see the turnout was approx 66% which makes me bring up another theme I'm fond of...

I think in a democracy it should be mandatory to vote, I wouldn't care if if the missing 33% spoiled the ballot papers or otherwise but at least the result (whichever system is used) would reflect the wishes of ALL voters.
I disagree. I think being a democracy and living in a free country means Brits have the right NOT to vote if they don't want to. It was compulsory to vote in Iraq and Zimbabwe.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
UKIP saw a 400% increase in the number of people voting for them across the whole of the UK. 1 in 8 people voted for them - they had more votes than the LIB DEMS and SNP combined.

Agree with this. Although more people usually vote for the X Factor than the GE, so that's an even sadder state of affairs.

Take the average person and think about how dumb he is. Then realize that half the population are dumber than that. So UKIPs core vote is at least 50% of the electorate. 12% doesn't seem so bad now.

Anyway. When this thread starts talking about Liverpool winning the league we know things have gone to the asylum.
Old May 8th 2015, 7:24 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Anyway. When this thread starts talking about Liverpool winning the league we know things have gone to the asylum.
Or back in time.
Old May 9th 2015, 2:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
So, no sour grapes at all then? Lovely jubbly.
Not really. I think voters have been sold a pup and the electoral system hasn't served Britons' interests well but they had the chance to change the electoral system and they didn't so they "own" that too meaning overall they indeed have the government they deserve.

Me? Well I saw the writing on the wall last time around so I voted with my feet and got my family out of there. Turns out it was a wise move because far from sour grapes that a high number of Britons have voted for a grimmer future, those most important to me are unaffected - we can comfortably live with the outcome.

Last edited by paulry; May 9th 2015 at 3:06 am.
Old May 9th 2015, 3:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post

Old May 9th 2015, 8:14 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

You really are be cruel to keep on flogging that UKIP horse.

The only figure that matters is 1 yes just 1 UKIP Mp and he is a tory turncoat.

UKIP RIP.
Old May 9th 2015, 8:31 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Before Paulry posts let me be one of the first to complain about the dramatic move to the left in UK politics.
We have seen the UKIP tidal wave take how many seats is it , maybe 2,
Remind me how many seats did they hold before thus electoral tidal wave,was it 2 !!!!!
depends how you read it.

facts:

* UKIP quadrupled there vote from 2010
* With nearly 4 million votes, UKIP is now the third largest party in British politics in terms of vote share.
* 120 second places (none in 2010)
* UKIP would have won 83 seats under a PR system
Old May 9th 2015, 8:38 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

You really are be cruel to keep on flogging that UKIP horse.

The only figure that matters is 1 yes just 1 UKIP Mp and he is a tory turncoat.

UKIP RIP.
Strange that you're gloating over a 'democracy' that is designed to keep down the little guy. To put it another way, 4.9 million people now feel aggrieved that their vote meant **** all, because your beloved establishment is rigged to keep the powerful well erm ...powerful. Still, it's your government I suppose, good luck
Old May 9th 2015, 8:46 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Strange that you're gloating over a 'democracy' that is designed to keep down the little guy. To put it another way, 4.9 million people now feel aggrieved that their vote meant **** all, because your beloved establishment is rigged to keep the powerful well erm ...powerful. Still, it's your government I suppose, good luck
99% of those who voted UKIP knew that their candidate stood little chance of being elected, just as many millions of labour,cons,libs.
They knew the UK system yet they still voted for the party they wanted.

There have been minority parties who have achieved a significant %of votes in the past.
Why is the case for PR stronger now just because it is UKIP RIP.

Last edited by EMR; May 9th 2015 at 9:10 am.
Old May 9th 2015, 8:51 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

99% of those who voted UKIP new that their candidate stood little chance of being elected, just as many millions of labour,cons,libs.
They knew the UK system yet they still voted for the party they wanted.

There have been minority parties who have achieved a significant %of votes in the past.
Why is the case for PR stronger now just because it is UKIP RIP.
you either think it's shite too or you have zero sense of irony

I've always been for PR, and I don't support UKIP. What's your point? PR means everyone voting for their preferred party and being heard, none of this tactical bollocks.

Last edited by stevenglish1; May 9th 2015 at 8:53 am.
Old May 9th 2015, 8:51 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

"minority parties" who achieve a significant %of votes?
how does that work then?
Old May 9th 2015, 9:20 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
you either think it's shite too or you have zero sense of irony

I've always been for PR, and I don't support UKIP. What's your point? PR means everyone voting for their preferred party and being heard, none of this tactical bollocks.
PR can mean years of useless governments with no opportunity to vote them out.

There are just so many systems.
Such as the majority of seats going to the FTP candidate with lets say 20% split proportionally among the rest according to their % of the vote.
But then what happens to the constituency system.
We need electoral reform to balance the number of electors in each constituency,there are proportionately too many MPs in Scotland ,NI, wales and some regions based on the number of potential voters, but a rush into a PR ststem that is worse than the current FTP just because of UKIP RIP would be a mistake.
We may have another election in a few years lets see what happens then to the minority parties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.