Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Old Nov 13th 2020, 3:52 pm
  #1  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,390
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I don't know. As much a fascist loving gasbag as he was, seems a little 1984 just to banish him for having a contrary view.

That's why I'm not a mod

Anyway.

Hey everyone, doesn't Trump suck????
If someone keeps trolling, posting misinformation, generally getting on everyone’s nerves...why fuel the fire by replying to them? If they were ignored they would eventually get fed up and either change or leave. I have received many, many reports about one or two posters. If I leave them be, people start moaning how they are bringing the forums down. If I ban them people start moaning because they’ve been banned.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:01 pm
  #2  
Often not so civil...
 
civilservant's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Boonies, GA
Posts: 8,472
civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

If I ban them people start moaning because they’ve been banned.
I don't believe I was 'moaning' JG.

I have been a somewhat infrequent posted in this thread, mostly because of the person in question. That does not, however, mean that I think he does not have a right to say it.

Anyway, as you essentially pointed out, you can't please everyone all of the time.

So let's move on
civilservant is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:01 pm
  #3  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,623
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
If someone keeps trolling, posting misinformation, generally getting on everyone’s nerves...why fuel the fire by replying to them? If they were ignored they would eventually get fed up and either change or leave. I have received many, many reports about one or two posters. If I leave them be, people start moaning how they are bringing the forums down. If I ban them people start moaning because they’ve been banned.
I know we're not supposed to talk about mod decisions here, but since you started it....

It's not up to members to moderate posts that contravene BE site rules, and that includes moderating themselves by ignoring instead of calling out lies etc.
I'm not sure that complaints are 'moaning', if a member feels that a post in unacceptable they're encouraged in the site rules to report it.

Moderating is a mainly thankless task. I'm sure that all of us appreciate that without you and the other moderators, we wouldn't have BE. So a very public thank you from me.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:15 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,390
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I know we're not supposed to talk about mod decisions here, but since you started it....

It's not up to members to moderate posts that contravene BE site rules, and that includes moderating themselves by ignoring instead of calling out lies etc.
I'm not sure that complaints are 'moaning', if a member feels that a post in unacceptable they're encouraged in the site rules to report it.

Moderating is a mainly thankless task. I'm sure that all of us appreciate that without you and the other moderators, we wouldn't have BE. So a very public thank you from me.
That is not quite true. The rules are a little relaxed in TIO. I try to let regular members moderate the forums themselves. It has worked well in the past. I am not saying that ‘reported posts’ are moaning, the moaning is done in the threads. Again, I say ignore trolls etc.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:18 pm
  #5  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,948
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Again, I say ignore trolls etc.
I said it so often I finally gave up.
caretaker is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:19 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,390
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I don't believe I was 'moaning' JG.

I have been a somewhat infrequent posted in this thread, mostly because of the person in question. That does not, however, mean that I think he does not have a right to say it.

Anyway, as you essentially pointed out, you can't please everyone all of the time.

So let's move on
Sorry my moaning comment wasn’t aimed at you and maybe I could have used a better term. It was a general comment, aimed at no one in particular. Every day I seem to read post after post, complaining about a certain poster.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:24 pm
  #7  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,152
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
If someone keeps trolling, posting misinformation, generally getting on everyone’s nerves...why fuel the fire by replying to them? If they were ignored they would eventually get fed up and either change or leave..
Misinformation has to be called out. Not everyone will know it's misinformation and not everyone will check.

The idea that someone will get fed up being ignored is possibly okay in theory on a small forum but on one with many members, people joining all the time, members eventually working their way to different parts of the forum etc there will always be someone unfamiliar who will step in and respond.

But this is all assuming normal behaviour. What we've seen was not normal behaviour. Like I posted about that youtube video yesterday. To come across a video among all the others there within minutes of it having been uploaded, decide it suits the agenda, what to say about it and make a post on BE within minutes just doesn't seem feasible.

I know they have algorithms and stuff that pushes particular videos to users who have 'expressed interest' but there are loads of them. The only way I could see it possible in that timescale would be if a user could order the suggested videos/subscribed channels starting with the most recent. Is that possible?


BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:31 pm
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,390
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Misinformation has to be called out. Not everyone will know it's misinformation and not everyone will check.

The idea that someone will get fed up being ignored is possibly okay in theory on a small forum but on one with many members, people joining all the time, members eventually working their way to different parts of the forum etc there will always be someone unfamiliar who will step in and respond.

But this is all assuming normal behaviour. What we've seen was not normal behaviour. Like I posted about that youtube video yesterday. To come across a video among all the others there within minutes of it having been uploaded, decide it suits the agenda, what to say about it and make a post on BE within minutes just doesn't seem feasible.

I know they have algorithms and stuff that pushes particular videos to users who have 'expressed interest' but there are loads of them. The only way I could see it possible in that timescale would be if a user could order the suggested videos/subscribed channels starting with the most recent. Is that possible?
I agree it does need to be called out within reason. But day after day complaining about the same person is not within reason IMO.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:33 pm
  #9  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 58,066
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trollish Behaviour

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
I don't know. As much a fascist loving gasbag as he was, seems a little 1984 just to banish him for having a contrary view.

That's why I'm not a mod

Anyway.

Hey everyone, doesn't Trump suck????

I'm not into banishing/banning/censorship at all.

I was just happy since I thought we had some voluntarily self-produced peace and quiet for a while. It was getting exhausting, and I like talking to people in a real way.

Anyway, how about that Trump eh? Even China has now congratulated Biden.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:38 pm
  #10  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,152
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I agree it does need to be called out within reason. But day after day complaining about the same person is not within reason IMO.
But surely the "within reason" point has been passed when the offending posts don't stop.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:42 pm
  #11  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,390
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
But surely the "within reason" point has been passed when the offending posts don't stop.
I agree...if asked to stop or wind it down a notch and they don’t...a ban is in order.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:45 pm
  #12  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 15,341
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

It was getting like 4chan. Misinformation and lies are not acceptable, they are not opinions. I stopped posting in three threads, where this was happening, checking in on them a couple of times, glad to say that only took a little over 36 hours and it seems those threads are safe to go back to. It felt like a mental health decision to keep out of posting in them. Out and out deceitful posting is just so infuriating and pointless to fight against.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:50 pm
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,390
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
It was getting like 4chan. Misinformation and lies are not acceptable, they are not opinions. I stopped posting in three threads, where this was happening, checking in on them a couple of times, glad to say that only took a little over 36 hours and it seems those threads are safe to go back to. It felt like a mental health decision to keep out of posting in them. Out and out deceitful posting is just so infuriating and pointless to fight against.
Exactly. When people stop posting because of a certain person, or keep complaining...there comes a time when action has to be taken. Yes it is pointless to fight against it...that’s why I say ‘please ignore said person’.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 5:45 pm
  #14  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 58,066
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
It was getting like 4chan. Misinformation and lies are not acceptable, they are not opinions. I stopped posting in three threads, where this was happening, checking in on them a couple of times, glad to say that only took a little over 36 hours and it seems those threads are safe to go back to. It felt like a mental health decision to keep out of posting in them. Out and out deceitful posting is just so infuriating and pointless to fight against.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Exactly. When people stop posting because of a certain person, or keep complaining...there comes a time when action has to be taken. Yes it is pointless to fight against it...that’s why I say ‘please ignore said person’.
4Chan is right. A torrent of lies and unpleasant nonsense with zero interest in any sort of reasonable discussion or susceptibility to fact.

And that's where I dither back and forth. Ignore it and hope it will stop, or counter it because that sort of stuff shouldn't be left lying around unanswered for the incautious passer by.

I'm not very keen on central censorship - it's the sort of thing that I think/hope that "we the people" can take care of. Cable Street. Anti-Nazi League. Etc.

Anyway, the floodgates seem to have become clogged up for the moment.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2020, 5:58 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 9,752
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Trollish Behaviour...Off Topic Posts Moved from Pres. Trump Thread.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I agree...if asked to stop or wind it down a notch and they don’t...a ban is in order.
I can't imagine how much of your time must be consumed by this 'noise'! Thanks for your time.

It's truly a thankless task.

Is the ban a temp or perm affair?

As a matter of interest, does BE management / ownership have any direction on such matters?
Steerpike is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.