Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Trayvon protests turn violent, AT LONG LAST.

Trayvon protests turn violent, AT LONG LAST.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trayvon protests turn violent, AT LONG LAST.

Despite the blatant and incessant efforts of the media to provoke violence, it has still taken a couple of days for it to splutter to a start.

I have never before seen such a campaign by the US and UK media to whip the masses into a violent frenzy. Shame on them.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:32 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trayvon protests turn violent, AT LONG LAST.

Agreed. The jury has decided and their purpose was to determine the law which calls for justice, not seek revenge which is what I feel all this hoopla is about. The media desperately wants to hype the racist motivation for the killing and yet it is the victim that had shown clear racist issues by referring to Zimmerman as a "cracker". I don't subscribe to double standards.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be some vigilante jackass attempting to kill Zimmerman for racial justice. So much for progress in our society, all I see is folk getting more polarised by the minute. Have to wonder if those 6 jurors will need to hide because they did not bow to the will of the armchair experts.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:09 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree View Post
Despite the blatant and incessant efforts of the media to provoke violence, it has still taken a couple of days for it to splutter to a start.

I have never before seen such a campaign by the US and UK media to whip the masses into a violent frenzy. Shame on them.
Hardly a surprise that they've blown it into a big story, the media knows what gets attention.

Shame they've turned it into a circus though.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:12 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn View Post
Agreed. The jury has decided and their purpose was to determine the law which calls for justice, not seek revenge which is what I feel all this hoopla is about. The media desperately wants to hype the racist motivation for the killing and yet it is the victim that had shown clear racist issues by referring to Zimmerman as a "cracker". I don't subscribe to double standards.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be some vigilante jackass attempting to kill Zimmerman for racial justice. So much for progress in our society, all I see is folk getting more polarised by the minute. Have to wonder if those 6 jurors will need to hide because they did not bow to the will of the armchair experts.
If Zimmerman has any sense, he'll go and live with Casey Anthony for awhile.
I doubt the jury will be victimized, that's taking your paranoia a step too far.

I'm not understanding you on one point here, what exactly is racist about calling someone a cracker?
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:35 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
If Zimmerman has any sense, he'll go and live with Casey Anthony for awhile.
I doubt the jury will be victimized, that's taking your paranoia a step too far.

I'm not understanding you on one point here, what exactly is racist about calling someone a cracker?
I actually have never heard of the term before so this one was new to me. I have since been educated by many conversations about the term, and it means a slew of different things to different people. However, what came out in the trial suggested Martin's description of the person following him was a derogatory term. The race card has been thrown at Zimmerman as the reason for his actions, and it is suggested that Martin too may well have manifested the same prejudice which could have been a part of why the conflict escalated into a fight. http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/us/zim...-trial-cracker

Hardly think it is paranoia to acknowledge there are nut heads around that are not above vigilante justice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-attack.html Usually amplified during highly emotive events but it decreases as the public gets distracted by other events.

This is the kind of stuff that can trigger radical behaviour. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3604521.html

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jul 22nd 2013 at 5:39 pm. Reason: added to it.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:54 pm

I actually have never heard of the term before so this one was new to me. I have since been educated by many conversations about the term, and it means a slew of different things to different people. However, what came out in the trial suggested Martin's description of the person following him was a derogatory term. The race card has been thrown at Zimmerman as the reason for his actions, and it is suggested that Martin too may well have manifested the same prejudice which could have been a part of why the conflict escalated into a fight. http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/us/zim...-trial-cracker

Hardly think it is paranoia to acknowledge there are nut heads around that are not above vigilante justice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-attack.html Usually amplified during highly emotive events but it decreases as the public gets distracted by other events.

This is the kind of stuff that can trigger radical behaviour. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3604521.html
You seem to believe the media when it suits you, and complain about their hype when it doesn't.

The term cracker is a Floridian term, its regional, not racist, and many people are proud to call themselves a Florida Cracker. Besides, Martin never used the term to your pal.
I'd suggest it might help if you start doing more of your research outside of the media websites, that way you may have a less biased view of things than just that which Faux News delivers.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 10:32 pm
Nuts and Bolts

You seem to make assumptions about my opinions too. I read, I talk to people and observe, and between that make up my own mind as do others. Nothing cast in stone here and I am learning as is everyone else as events evolve. Why is it folk really need to slap labels because an opinion is being expressed that does not fit in with this clique. I repeat, I did not know that cracker meant anything other than a biscuit until all this stuff came out and various folk had their take on it. There are other folk outside of BE that had their thoughts on this too you know. Like you, they expressed their opinions which crossed the gambit of outright outrage to quiet discussions. Your version is yet another opinion I have heard. As others are surmising about events and reasons for it, I am doing the same.

You need to read again, I did not suggest Martin said anything like that to Zimmerman, I suggested it may have been an attitude that was felt that MAY have been part of why a fight ensued in the first place. These two were obviously not looking at each with positive intent.

I'm curious, where are you picking up your enlightened information from if not from some media outlets? So far, I have not read anything you have written that suggests otherwise. As for bias, well, pot calling kettle black and all that.

You really need to stop trying to slot people into little boxes to suit your agenda. This after all is merely a forum of folk spouting off about everything and anything.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:02 pm

You seem to make assumptions about my opinions too. I read, I talk to people and observe, and between that make up my own mind as do others. Nothing cast in stone here and I am learning as is everyone else as events evolve. Why is it folk really need to slap labels because an opinion is being expressed that does not fit in with this clique. I repeat, I did not know that cracker meant anything other than a biscuit until all this stuff came out and various folk had their take on it. There are other folk outside of BE that had their thoughts on this too you know. Like you, they expressed their opinions which crossed the gambit of outright outrage to quiet discussions. Your version is yet another opinion I have heard. As others are surmising about events and reasons for it, I am doing the same.

You need to read again, I did not suggest Martin said anything like that to Zimmerman, I suggested it may have been an attitude that was felt that MAY have been part of why a fight ensued in the first place. These two were obviously not looking at each with positive intent.

I'm curious, where are you picking up your enlightened information from if not from some media outlets? So far, I have not read anything you have written that suggests otherwise. As for bias, well, pot calling kettle black and all that.

You really need to stop trying to slot people into little boxes to suit your agenda. This after all is merely a forum of folk spouting off about everything and anything.
I tend to read the police reports, the transcripts of the courts, and the analysis of the Medical Examiner. Facts that can be backed up. Such as the fact that Trayvon Martin was (in fact) 5'11" tall, and not 6'3", or 6'0.
I don't have a "version of events" because as can be seen, the only version of events are the one supplied by Mr Zimmerman and the witnesses. Even the girl that used the word "cracker" in her testimony that had been speaking to Martin on the phone, was a rather dubious witness that had a couple of versions of "the truth".

You - "yet it is the victim that had shown clear racist issues by referring to Zimmerman as a "cracker".". Your words, and a link posted to a CNN article. Yet, in the the same article you quoted, it also says " and numerous commentators have noted that some in Florida use the term in a non-derogatory, colloquial sense", or "Bill Ferris says it emerged in the 1700s as a descriptive term for drovers who used small whips to move their livestock through the pine barrens along the Gulf of Mexico."

I asked you why you assumed it to be racist, when in fact you didn't know, and obviously hadn't bothered to read more than the first few lines but took it to mean what you hoped it meant, now in what's become your usual fashion, you backpeddle and try and suggest you didn't say that.

I'm not slotting anyone into a box, I'm working on facts, something you seem loathe to do, unless they come from a source that suits your particular point of view.

As far as it goes, I don't have an opinion on this, apart from what the facts have shown to be true. The case is interesting, and it's an unemotional thing to me, but I do dislike it when people post any old media shite that isn't able to be backed up, just to suit their own version of something.
I've corrected people from both sides of the argument, and still I remain totally neutral, so don't do me the disservice of trying to suggest that I have any kind of agenda on this.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 3:56 pm
Nuts and Bolts

I believe many others are reacting based on their point of view as am I. My perception of the manner in which that info was relayed to the girlfriend was not with positive or neutral intent. I do not subscribe to Martin as a hapless and hopeless young kid who is the completely innocent victim. It is my OPINION that both of them brought their own biases and attitudes to an event that ended tragically. And yes, that is my perception after hearing, reading about it on all media outlets I looked at. I believe most people do that too. As an aside, since you have done such in depth research. I wouldn't mind doing a full read of the transcripts so would you mind posting your links. I may well feel differently after reading them. Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 4:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe many others are reacting based on their point of view as am I. My perception of the manner in which that info was relayed to the girlfriend was not with positive or neutral intent. I do not subscribe to Martin as a hapless and hopeless young kid who is the completely innocent victim. It is my OPINION that both of them brought their own biases and attitudes to an event that ended tragically. And yes, that is my perception after hearing, reading about it on all media outlets I looked at. I believe most people do that too. As an aside, since you have done such in depth research. I wouldn't mind doing a full read of the transcripts so would you mind posting your links. I may well feel differently after reading them. Thanks.
Oh FFS.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Trayvon+Martin+trial+transcripts.