Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Transgenderism - a sign of the times

Transgenderism - a sign of the times

Old Nov 27th 2019, 2:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transgenderism - a sign of the times

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
A thought on the idea that gender issues shouldn't be "encouraged", while I am not sure it is encouraged rather than acknowledged, I can't help thinking of Thatchers Clause 28 law and the current Russian anti-gay laws. Both of which concern themselves with trying to stop "encouragement" , argued from the stance that gay is harmful to society. There is historicity here, and a mirror of the conservative objection to societal change until it's accepted and a move to the next destroyer of society.

Current "establishment" explanations of sexuality and gender as strict categories divided by hard lines are quite modern, anyway. A concept of binary gender is relatively recent in human history.

Old Nov 27th 2019, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...sgender-rights

Labour has said that it will preserve women-only spaces where such treatment “is justified”, amid an internal rift over its policy towards trans people.

The clarification from the party came after women’s rights activists accused the party of backsliding on its manifesto commitment to retaining “single-sex-based exemptions”. They said the exemptions were necessary to ensure that services such as refuges, prisons and changing rooms would not have to be open to people who self-identify as female, as well as those born female.

Confusion emerged after Labour’s equalities spokeswoman, Dawn Butler, attacked what she described as outdated legal measures designed to protect single-sex facilities. She said there was “no way [that] spaces will be permitted to discriminate against trans people”.
Does seem to be causing a lot of confusion.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has made me wear women's clothes.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 11:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
This thread has made me wear women's clothes.

BE - the new cultural marxist laboratory.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 12:12 am
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
The whole concept of a two-gendered world, and that anybody not conforming to that manufactured construct is somehow a pariah, is very much a product of Western culture. Throughout native North American cultures, for exmaple, there has always been the concept of what is now described as "two-spirit" individuals (that's a modern English coinage that covers a wide variety of nuanced words in various native languages), who can be men functioning as women, women functioning as men, or somewhere in between. Two-spirit people were often held in high esteem in native culture, somehow being "above" rather than "below" the status of the traditional gender roles. Wikipedia has a reasonable summary here - similar gender constructs appear in many other cultures, and were common in the West through the Classical period and into the dark ages. Denigrating gender fluidity seems largely to be a(nother) thing that Christianity and Islam, and cultures influenced by those Abrahamic religions, have in common. I don't know what the received wisdom is in Jewish religious culture concerning gender fluidity and two-spirit identity. Can anybody enlighten?

If (especially "socially conservative") people in Western (and Middle Eastern) culture could only stop sticking their noses into other people's personal lives and let the world get on with their social interactions in whatever way they choose to exist, there'd be a lot less bigotry on the one hand, and a lot less anxiety on the other.
Yup.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 12:15 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago we had a referendum on same sex marriage. I voted in favour as did the rest of my family (why should they get to be happy? Arf arf) being asked if I felt someone else's relationship was valid didn't sit well with me though, it must've felt pretty demeaning for those on the receiving end.
i kind of feel the same about this subject, I make jokes and have a laugh but there's certainly no malice intended. It's not for me to tell anyone how they should let be if it has no negative impact on anyone else. If someone feels they need to do something to stop feeling miserable or worse suicidal then it's not my place to comment.

I shall still have a giggle next time I see an unconvincing man in a dress though, but then I'm very immature
Old Nov 28th 2019, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

There are of course an unlimited number of genders, not just 2.

Problems seem to arise when one set impedes on another ie TERFS.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

namsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond repute

it is true that some trans people de-transition. this doesn't and shouldn't undermine or invalidate the entire process though.
if a person has gender dysphoria, then does this mean they must live with it?
therapy doesn't work. and therapy has limits. there are limits to talking, problem-solving or analysis, or other forms of regular therapeutic processes.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by namsbabe View Post
it is true that some trans people de-transition. this doesn't and shouldn't undermine or invalidate the entire process though.
if a person has gender dysphoria, then does this mean they must live with it?
therapy doesn't work. and therapy has limits. there are limits to talking, problem-solving or analysis, or other forms of regular therapeutic processes.
Well there have been a few stories involving children who then wish to re transition.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I began this thread with a reference to Coca Cola and its apparent belief that appealing to transgenderism would benefit it in the marketplace. Here below is a brief extract of a report on transgenderism and sports - specifically women's sports. (The full report is at the link.) It's going to be interesting to watch the effect of successful male-to-women athletes on the profits of companies who, like Coca Cola, seem to believe that cheering on those athletes is good for business.

Many or most posters to this thread have chosen to argue about the cultural phenomenon itself. I'm not as interested in that on this thread as I am in the commercial fallout.

The feminist movement, which has sought to highlight and resolve the seemingly unfair treatment of women in a society that allegedly prioritizes males, has, at times, been shut out of the transgender athletics debate in its entirety. But traditional progressive feminists who seek to advance women’s equality will be pitted against other progressives who feel that the rights of roughly 0.3% of the population should be held at a higher value than the rights of more than half of the population.
Transgenderism Brought To The Forefront As Biological Males Look To Compete In Women’s Olympic Events | Women System
Old Nov 28th 2019, 4:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I began this thread with a reference to Coca Cola and its apparent belief that appealing to transgenderism would benefit it in the marketplace. Here below is a brief extract of a report on transgenderism and sports - specifically women's sports. (The full report is at the link.) It's going to be interesting to watch the effect of successful male-to-women athletes on the profits of companies who, like Coca Cola, seem to believe that cheering on those athletes is good for business.

Many or most posters to this thread have chosen to argue about the cultural phenomenon itself. I'm not as interested in that on this thread as I am in the commercial fallout.

The feminist movement, which has sought to highlight and resolve the seemingly unfair treatment of women in a society that allegedly prioritizes males, has, at times, been shut out of the transgender athletics debate in its entirety. But traditional progressive feminists who seek to advance women’s equality will be pitted against other progressives who feel that the rights of roughly 0.3% of the population should be held at a higher value than the rights of more than half of the population.
Transgenderism Brought To The Forefront As Biological Males Look To Compete In Women’s Olympic Events | Women System
In your opening post you gave your opinion that Coca Cola was engaging in a 'risky' marketing strategy, that if you had shares in Coca Cola you'd be selling them, and you asked what others thought of this 'issue'.

I'll answer with my opinion - there is no 'issue'.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
In your opening post you gave your opinion that Coca Cola was engaging in a 'risky' marketing strategy, that if you had shares in Coca Cola you'd be selling them, and you asked what others thought of this 'issue'.

I'll answer with my opinion - there is no 'issue'.
Well, I think there's a commercial issue. Would you want your pension fund to invest in a losing commercial issue? Probably not.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When brands get onto the social justice then the old adage get woke go broke comes to mind.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
When brands get onto the social justice then the old adage get woke go broke comes to mind.
Nike, Starbucks, and Proctor & Gamble to name but three say you're wrong.

Old Nov 28th 2019, 7:05 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

anonymous blog titled "women systems" with a photo of a male from a stock photography site as the "about". Nothing dodgy here, nothing Russian going on here.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.