Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Oct 7th 2021, 8:16 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

I'm a Brit and I hate shit hotels. Service makes the place what it is, privacy helps and attention to detail in rooms. My stay in Riyadh last week was in a Marriott and was lovely, I got left the **** alone and had a desk, bed and shower. Was probably about 100GBP a night.

In Europe, it's really hit and miss. Depends on the service quality and where people are from. What's good service here is out-of-this-world in a European city. The Middle East nails quality of service like nowhere else.

W Hotel in Barcelona was nice, but a shade overpriced at 400euro a night for the quality of room. Great service though - lovely staff on the whole.
Smaller, boutique hotel in Valencia (still Bonvoy) was, at 300 a night, a much nicer experience given the size and quality - service even better to be fair.

I tend to stick to a brand, Marriott Bonvoy - W Hotels are some of the best and the Ritz-Carlton offering is always good. When you're getting to the 1,000GBP+ a night places, you're starting to see the massive differences in quality and services. The last we were in, you could ring for a someone to come to your room to clean your sunglasses.

Funnily enough, you get what you pay for and the more I pay, the more I expect, so it's a self-perpetuating increase in demand from patrons I suppose.

Still, we're scummy Brits and not welcome in Mallorca because we only want 3* hotels and buckets of booze.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 8:22 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
In both pre-Covid IBIS and in our current hotel, our rooms didn't get cleaned every day either unless we requested it, and we're quite capable of making our own beds.
There ought to be a surcharge for making your own beds.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 10:17 am
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
There ought to be a surcharge for making your own beds.
There is at home, that's why I don't do it there...
Old Oct 7th 2021, 10:46 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'm a Brit and I hate shit hotels. Service makes the place what it is, privacy helps and attention to detail in rooms. My stay in Riyadh last week was in a Marriott and was lovely, I got left the **** alone and had a desk, bed and shower. Was probably about 100GBP a night.

In Europe, it's really hit and miss. Depends on the service quality and where people are from. What's good service here is out-of-this-world in a European city. The Middle East nails quality of service like nowhere else.

W Hotel in Barcelona was nice, but a shade overpriced at 400euro a night for the quality of room. Great service though - lovely staff on the whole.
Smaller, boutique hotel in Valencia (still Bonvoy) was, at 300 a night, a much nicer experience given the size and quality - service even better to be fair.

I tend to stick to a brand, Marriott Bonvoy - W Hotels are some of the best and the Ritz-Carlton offering is always good. When you're getting to the 1,000GBP+ a night places, you're starting to see the massive differences in quality and services. The last we were in, you could ring for a someone to come to your room to clean your sunglasses.

Funnily enough, you get what you pay for and the more I pay, the more I expect, so it's a self-perpetuating increase in demand from patrons I suppose.

Still, we're scummy Brits and not welcome in Mallorca because we only want 3* hotels and buckets of booze.
yeah you British bastard get back to your hovel 🤣🤣. I'very been staying in a shed in a desert for 8 months and to be honest a 2 star hotel in mallorca with bottomless beers sounds like paradise at the moment. We'll perhaps not mallirca, I still have some standards
Old Oct 7th 2021, 11:04 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
yeah you British bastard get back to your hovel 🤣🤣. I'very been staying in a shed in a desert for 8 months and to be honest a 2 star hotel in mallorca with bottomless beers sounds like paradise at the moment. We'll perhaps not mallirca, I still have some standards
Careful, Mallorca is the greatest place on earth and home to some of the most exclusive 4* Brits-aren't-welcome hotels going. You might not be tempted, but don't you remember? You're not wanted you scumbag Brit pleb.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 1:53 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's just the general impression that British tourists leave. Seek cheapness, large quantities of it, leave a big mess, and claim entitlement. Then moan as if it's all beneath them.

By the way, you're the only one here who keeps saying scum. It's not "scum". It's cultural. Same as the Germans with their squareheadedness. It can be irritating, but it makes them really desirable tourists. And they're quality oriented and happy to pay for it. It's just how they are.

It just so happens that stereotypical Brits (famously) don't make very good tourists. And perhaps most ironic is that they've quite demonstrably been looking down their noses and insulting other nationalities for decades, often unwittingly, but especially deliberate since the Brexit campaigning began. Nobody has much sympathy. And nobody's crying about it.

A little humility would be very helpful. There's a handful of encouraging signs, but as long as the majority continues to live in an alternate reality where britishness is uniquely superior despite all evidence to the contrary, then it's not something worthy of holding one's breath.

But we shall see. If post-Brexit conditions continue or worsen, I suspect there will be a lot of soul searching going on over there. There's still hope. Yet you shouldn't hold your breath.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:00 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Careful, Mallorca is the greatest place on earth and home to some of the most exclusive 4* Brits-aren't-welcome hotels going. You might not be tempted, but don't you remember? You're not wanted you scumbag Brit pleb.
I don't think "greatest place on earth" is remotely accurate, but it is an extremely popular destination. Globally.

I believe Mallorca has the most 5 star accommodations of any region in Spain. But they're generally tailored to attract a more cosmopolitan type of traveller, which might explain why they're generally not found in the 2 or 3 British dominant resorts.

Last edited by amideislas; Oct 7th 2021 at 2:04 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I'very been staying in a shed in a desert for 8 months
Yes, but does anybody make your bed?

I usually stay in the Premier Inn when I'm in the UK, and lack of bedmaking wasn't a thing pre-covid. Non-luxe, but usually clean, which is all I require. Some US hotel chains have suspended/changed the housekeeping service, too, and not all them "budget" by any means. Housekeeping frequency seems to be a bit hit and miss with different hotels in the franchises/chains doing it a bit differently.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:51 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Who wouldn't vote for him this ?

#JustSaying
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Who wouldn't vote for him this ?

#JustSaying

He's like Bolsonaro with an Eton accent.

We are in the grip of a bunch of schoolboy thug prefects, all bluster and little knowledge, but intent on keeping their status and power over the others.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:02 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

And where are the100,000 new workers coming from?
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post

Dunkirk?
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:09 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post

And how is he going to spread high wage low tax ( ) jobs equally over the UK ? Moving factories ? Telling the Eton Bullies to move North ?
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:11 pm
Preparing to move again

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Dunkirk?
Oh ...
I had my money on "jails" or even "the army".
Raise pension age to 80 ?
Old Oct 7th 2021, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Oh ...
I had my money on "jails" or even "the army".
Raise pension age to 80 ?

I had suggested jails earlier - it would fit right in with Patel's general philosphy, I'm sure, to use forced labour.

I had already written off the idea that preventing the development of a vast number of highly-disadvantaged people over two or three generations would have been a better step towards ensuring a prepared domestic labour supply. In some parts of the country the number of people with a big fat zero in qualifications of any kind is startlingly high for a wealthy, developed country. This doesn't mean "no degree", it means nothing. No GCSEs, nothing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ifications-uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.