Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Sep 27th 2021, 2:06 am
  #13966  
Overkill is underrated
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,847
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
OK, so because there is no shortage of fuel, my friend in Suffolk found every station was either closed or had rationing in place & long queues. He was looking for fuel as he had a trip to Stansted to do - he got it, after 2 hours trying one garage after the next.

He also didn't get his paper this morning as the delivery to his local shop had been missed.............. and he says there are gaps on the shelves of the local Tesco too. Probably panic buying, but who cares? The fact is, there are shortages at the point of purchase.
Like I said above, there is fuel in the fuel depots, and most garages have still been getting regular deliveries around here. The problem here is that by the time a tanker has unloaded it's fuel, there are dozens of cars lining up to fill fuel tanks and fuel containers. If everyone here were to stop panic buying and to just spend what they normally would on fuel, there'd be plenty for everyone and garages wouldn't run out.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 5:07 am
  #13967  
Listen to the Music
 
dave_j's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Fraser Valley BC
Posts: 3,491
dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Like I said above, there is fuel in the fuel depots, and most garages have still been getting regular deliveries around here. The problem here is that by the time a tanker has unloaded it's fuel, there are dozens of cars lining up to fill fuel tanks and fuel containers. If everyone here were to stop panic buying and to just spend what they normally would on fuel, there'd be plenty for everyone and garages wouldn't run out.
It's a rational response to an irrational fear and it impacts careful practice and it affects petrol, food and as we found out earlier in the year so many other mundane goods like toilet rolls.
It pays nobody to be overstocked and so garages and supermarkets don't overstock, they estimate what typical consumption is and order stock on that basis.
You don't need to be an Albert Einstein to realise that any steep increase in demand will deplete stocks to zero.
It'll be a transient issue because those who over-buy will very soon realise that they've too much and that'll leave a glut as deliveries once more match and overtake consumption.

It's just one example of how fragile modern society has become, to the extent that any disruption to the 'normal' flow of goods from supplier to consumer inevitably sends shock waves through the system.
We see it realised when banks suffer software glitches, when a hurricane disrupts refinery output, when a fire disrupts an undersea power cable, when a ransomware attack shuts a pipeline and any number of smaller perturbations.
I suppose the fact that systems do recover from these shocks without bringing down the heavens is to be applauded, but the fear that it won't is probably what drives those who rush to the petrol station.

Last edited by dave_j; Sep 27th 2021 at 5:10 am.
dave_j is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 8:24 am
  #13968  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 26,581
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Like I said above, there is fuel in the fuel depots, and most garages have still been getting regular deliveries around here. The problem here is that by the time a tanker has unloaded it's fuel, there are dozens of cars lining up to fill fuel tanks and fuel containers. If everyone here were to stop panic buying and to just spend what they normally would on fuel, there'd be plenty for everyone and garages wouldn't run out.
That's what my Sister and Mum are saying. Former managed to get 30 quid in but has told work she'll be working from home until it's calmed down.
Scamp is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 10:04 am
  #13969  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 8,553
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

So, basically, as long as you don't actually need anything, there's no shortage.....

That's reassuring for those who need petrol or anything else TODAY.
macliam is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 10:24 am
  #13970  
Overkill is underrated
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,847
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
So, basically, as long as you don't actually need anything, there's no shortage.....

That's reassuring for those who need petrol or anything else TODAY.
No, there are shortages at the point of sale, same as in the great toilet roll shortage of 2020...

Caused by people who are greedy, selfish bastards who can afford to buy more than they need, leaving those least able to afford it with no fuel and in some cases, no way of getting to work.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Sep 27th 2021 at 10:27 am.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 10:37 am
  #13971  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 26,581
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

My Mum said last night, not ironically; it's ok, I remember rolling black outs and shorter weeks.

I said that I was thrilled we had that sort of future to look forward to and that it was wonderful we'd put the Great back into Great Brexit Britain.

Didn't get a reply, nor did my follow up asking when we'd have ration books and if the Americans would send tights for women to wear.
Scamp is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 10:40 am
  #13972  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,006
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Maybe it's hoarding... But it seems to be all over the news, and Boris is apparently considering bringing out the army to deliver supplies. That doesn't quite sound nonexistent.

Boris Johnson to consider using army to supply petrol stations

amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 11:10 am
  #13973  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,006
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
It's a rational response to an irrational fear and it impacts careful practice and it affects petrol, food and as we found out earlier in the year so many other mundane goods like toilet rolls.
It pays nobody to be overstocked and so garages and supermarkets don't overstock, they estimate what typical consumption is and order stock on that basis.
You don't need to be an Albert Einstein to realise that any steep increase in demand will deplete stocks to zero.
It'll be a transient issue because those who over-buy will very soon realise that they've too much and that'll leave a glut as deliveries once more match and overtake consumption.

It's just one example of how fragile modern society has become, to the extent that any disruption to the 'normal' flow of goods from supplier to consumer inevitably sends shock waves through the system.
We see it realised when banks suffer software glitches, when a hurricane disrupts refinery output, when a fire disrupts an undersea power cable, when a ransomware attack shuts a pipeline and any number of smaller perturbations.
I suppose the fact that systems do recover from these shocks without bringing down the heavens is to be applauded, but the fear that it won't is probably what drives those who rush to the petrol station.
Nobody said that adjusting to isolationism would be easy.
(Well, some did, but that's all forgotten now).
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 2:56 pm
  #13974  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 24,991
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Nobody said that adjusting to isolationism would be easy.
(Well, some did, but that's all forgotten now).
Well, I stocked up with toilet rolls today, and don't need fuel as I don't have a car
mikelincs is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 3:49 pm
  #13975  
BE Forum Addict
 
philat98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Central Italy
Posts: 2,124
philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Nobody said that adjusting to isolationism would be easy.
(Well, some did, but that's all forgotten now).
Frosty recently added this to his twitter account.

You don't get something for nothing, you can't have freedom for free
philat98 is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 3:55 pm
  #13976  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 65,211
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
Frosty recently added this to his twitter account.

You don't get something for nothing, you can't have freedom for free

He nicked that from the US - "freedom isn't free".

I would still ask him to define what exactly is the "something" we have all gained.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 4:04 pm
  #13977  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,861
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
No, there are shortages at the point of sale, same as in the great toilet roll shortage of 2020...

Caused by people who are greedy, selfish bastards who can afford to buy more than they need, leaving those least able to afford it with no fuel and in some cases, no way of getting to work.
Yes absolutely true. Reports of ambulances being refused places at head of queues. GP daughter driving miles to get into a queue for diesel when due to be on call. Although some garages are keeping a pump clear for priority users. Not all small garages can do this.
Bipat is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 4:12 pm
  #13978  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,006
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
He nicked that from the US - "freedom isn't free".

I would still ask him to define what exactly is the "something" we have all gained.
What "freedom" was obtained in this imaginary "liberation"? And what exactly was the UK "liberated" from?
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 4:25 pm
  #13979  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 65,211
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
What "freedom" was obtained in this imaginary "liberation"? And what exactly was the UK "liberated" from?

I hope you aren't expecting me, or indeed anyone, to answer that question.

Nobody has been able to provide a rational answer so far, anyway.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Sep 27th 2021, 5:49 pm
  #13980  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,006
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

It was a rhetorical question.
amideislas is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.