Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 11:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Maybe he was not responsible for all of them but a fair bit was thanks to him and his cronies.
Remember the ''Eat out to help out'' and ''Saving Christmas'' disasters ?
Ah, but nobody could have predicted that covid would spread. We hadn't encountered it before.

Coronavirus: Revealed - the impact Eat Out to Help Out had on infection rates
According to the University of Warwick, the sharp increase in COVID-19 infection clusters emerged a week after the scheme began.

The government's initiative was designed to boost the economy after the national lockdown, and allowed pubs and restaurants to offer heavily discounted meals on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August.

Research from the university suggested that between 8% and 17% of newly detected infection clusters could be linked to the scheme.

Areas where there was a high uptake of Eat Out to Help Out also saw a decline in new infections a week after the scheme drew to a close.
Of course the government disputes this, even going so far as to say the reverse happened.
So EOtHO actually reduced infections. Why not have more of them then?
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 11:11 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Why not? As leader of the UK, he'd have gotten the plaudits had the UK government done the right thing... Corbyn or Starmer would certainly be brutally taken apart had either of them been in charge during the pandemic, wouldn't they?

Really. Other countries, some of which I listed above, managed to reduce the pandemic's impact.
The bucks stops with him, right ?
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 11:16 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Ah, but nobody could have predicted that covid would spread. We hadn't encountered it before.

Coronavirus: Revealed - the impact Eat Out to Help Out had on infection rates

Of course the government disputes this, even going so far as to say the reverse happened.
So EOtHO actually reduced infections. Why not have more of them then?
Even Dido Harding didn't see that one coming ....
With a bit of luck Sunak is working on the next one

Old Feb 22nd 2021, 11:40 pm
EU and me, happy together

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The bucks stops with him, right ?
It does. BoJo even said so himself on live tv...

https://fb.watch/3P_vRGkATU/
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:20 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
I take it that you accuse Johnson being responsible for all 121000 deaths.
I think that just about sums up your understanding of how a pandemic kills.
This is from last year. Remember ... way back when "mistakes" were being made? Remember that?

The U.S. and U.K. Were the Two Best Prepared Nations to Tackle a Pandemic—What Went Wrong?

There is an eerie similarity in the appalling political decisions made by President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Boris Johnson—two right wing “illiberal populist” leaders who believed their nations were invulnerable, generally rejected science, and turned inwards and away from multilateralism. Their parallel decisions consigned many of their citizens to the grave.

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 23rd 2021 at 7:30 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:30 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

All of the following.

The Countries Who've Handled Coronavirus the Best – and Worst

Tsai Ing-wen, leader of Taiwan - population 7,060,000, 912 cases, 8 deaths - 0.113 deaths / 100,000 population
Jacinta Arden, leader of New Zealand - population 4,822,233, 2,307 cases, 25 deaths - 0.51 deaths / 100,000
Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson, leader of Iceland - population 364,000, 6,009 cases, 29 deaths - 7.96 deaths / 100,000
Halimah Yacob, leader of Singapore - population 5.7 million, 59,565 cases, 29 deaths - 0.41 deaths per 100,000

Nguyễn Xuân Phúc, leader of Vietnam - population 97,338,579, 2,383 cases, 35 deaths - 0.035 deaths / 100,000

Note: Vietnam has a 30 million greater population than the UK, with significantly fewer cases per 100,000 population, and significantly fewer deaths per cases.

UK population 67,886,011, 3,850,000 cases, 106,774 deaths - 157.28 deaths / 100,000

Who hasn't made a few mistakes, huh?
Whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment of your point completely, I think the measuring of deaths varies so much country-to-country that it makes the whole debate really hard to consider.
Then throw in the mix the types of countries we compare.
Then throw in the government being a shit show.

There are huge numbers of people in the UK who should be absolutely disgusted with the way they've behaved through the last 12 months. Unfortunately they'll be among the first to blame Boris 'and his cronies'.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Even Dido Harding didn't see that one coming ....
With a bit of luck Sunak is working on the next one
I suspect she has her mind on the Cheltenham Festival at the moment.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:15 am

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment of your point completely, I think the measuring of deaths varies so much country-to-country that it makes the whole debate really hard to consider.
Then throw in the mix the types of countries we compare.
Then throw in the government being a shit show.

There are huge numbers of people in the UK who should be absolutely disgusted with the way they've behaved through the last 12 months. Unfortunately they'll be among the first to blame Boris 'and his cronies'.
Those countries also had rule-breakers, but they dealt with them far more effectively. The UK chose a softly-softly approach that did not work, and that's on rhe government too.

You raise a fair point, that those of the UK public who chose to ignore the restrictions with never accept their share of the blame. We have new instructions at work now, no mask, no entry unless you're exempt, but anyone can say they're exempt, so I stopped giving a shit unless they get close to me. If they want to infect each other, I hope they all suffer.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:57 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Those countries also had rule-breakers, but they dealt with them far more effectively. The UK chose a softly-softly approach that did not work, and that's on rhe government too.

You raise a fair point, that those of the UK public who chose to ignore the restrictions with never accept their share of the blame. We have new instructions at work now, no mask, no entry unless you're exempt, but anyone can say they're exempt, so I stopped giving a shit unless they get close to me. If they want to infect each other, I hope they all suffer.
Whereabouts is that DLD?
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Whereabouts is that DLD?
Wales.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 10:44 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, that's stretching it to blame the government for what individuals do. So in essence, Cummings didn't misbehave it was the soft touch government to blame?

I saw a bloke here trying to justify not having a mask on in the illegal booze shop the other day. They didn't give a **** if he had an app or a letter or anything, just told him to get out. Brilliant.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 12:31 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Honestly, that's stretching it to blame the government for what individuals do. So in essence, Cummings didn't misbehave it was the soft touch government to blame?
I didn't read the post like that at all. Cummings the individual definitely misbehaved, but the authorities chose not to follow through. It's different.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 5:20 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I didn't read the post like that at all. Cummings the individual definitely misbehaved, but the authorities chose not to follow through. It's different.
Of course it is, he's a Tory.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
LOL....of course not, but if you look,the HQ of GSK, guess where in the UK it is??? You guessed it Barnard Castle
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever View Post
LOL....of course not, but if you look,the HQ of GSK, guess where in the UK it is??? You guessed it Barnard Castle
GSK head office is Brentford. A bit nearer to London. An impressive office block at the end of the M4.

Last edited by philat98; Feb 24th 2021 at 7:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.