Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Saw them in Bristol, 77, but missed them in Southampton, 80. Saw the Stranglers in Southampton, 77 and a few bands at the Roxy in London (mostly bad!). Odd times, I was also into reggae (police & thieves!) but also "discovering" Irish folk - not the Dubliners, but Planxty et al.
Having graduated Uni to end up working in a spray shop, Career Opportunites really meant something back then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsE5NAAU39k
Bristol 77? I think you were there with my OH! And at Exeter too, the following year.

Reggae was true London music, for me, and The Clash crossed genres, of course.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tories in chaos

Saw them in Bristol, 77, but missed them in Southampton, 80. Saw the Stranglers in Southampton, 77 and a few bands at the Roxy in London (mostly bad!). Odd times, I was also into reggae (police & thieves!) but also "discovering" Irish folk - not the Dubliners, but Planxty et al.
Having graduated Uni to end up working in a spray shop, Career Opportunites really meant something back then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsE5NAAU39k
did you live in southampton at one time macliam?
Old Mar 27th 2020, 5:42 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
did you live in southampton at one time macliam?
My "Alma Mater" as they say, 74-77 and I stayed on after graduation until I got a job back in Ireland. (Temporarily as it turned out!)

Lived in Swaythling. Portswood and then just near the Dell. Was there when they won the FA cup....
Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:42 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Freedom, like a man with lead weights around his ankles refusing a lifebelt. Dead, but beholden to nobody......

As for the rest of your earlier catchphrases, I'd remind you that it's the UK who stuck up two fingers and stomped off. The EU ain't your Mum, you have no right to expect special treatment. As they know only too well, greater damage comes from giving in to a bully who cares not a jot for your welfare.... so expect more of the same unless you are prepared to accept the truth.
Only if you call having democracy "sticking two fingers up and romping off" - more adult, developed societies value the democratic will of their people.

The UK has kindly offered the EU a FTA, but it's clear the EU's intransigence and hatred of democracy will drive them into a no-deal Brexit.

In the wise words of Ursula:

Earlier in the day, the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, rebuked member states for “looking out for themselves” during the early phases of the crisis.

Taking an unusually critical tone, she said the story of the past few weeks had been partly a painful one.

“When Europe really needed an all-for-one spirit, too many initially gave an only-for-me response. And when Europe really needed to prove that this is not only a fair weather union, too many initially refused to share their umbrella,” she told members of the European parliament.

On the day when the EU marked the 25th anniversary of the entry into force of the border-free travel zone, every EU member state barring Ireland had closed or put restrictions on their border. “A crisis without borders cannot be resolved by putting barriers between us and yet this is exactly the first reflex that many European countries have,” Von der Leyen said.
Borders? What a bunch of xenophobes and racists! Why would you want to be part of that club?
Old Mar 27th 2020, 7:26 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Only if you call having democracy "sticking two fingers up and romping off" - more adult, developed societies value the democratic will of their people.

The UK has kindly offered the EU a FTA, but it's clear the EU's intransigence and hatred of democracy will drive them into a no-deal Brexit.

In the wise words of Ursula:

Borders? What a bunch of xenophobes and racists! Why would you want to be part of that club?
What's it got to do with you? You wanted out, you're out.
Seems you need the EU to become a shadow enemy for your paranoia.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Prof Devi Sridhar, chair of global public health at the University of Edinburgh, said: “Leaders need to lead by example. It wasn’t a good thing that he was telling people that he was going around shaking hands and being quite nonchalant about the virus.”

The three men leading the UK’s response to the pandemic – Johnson, Hancock and Whitty – must now do so from quarantine, as cases continue to surge.
Couldn't make it up.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:06 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Couldn't make it up.
He's likely to get some sympathy support....

His politics are not mine, neither are his party's, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. His girlfriend and her baby are now at risk, and though I care little about either one way or the other, they shouldn't be collateral damage because of my opinion of BoJo. No-one deserves that.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 8:37 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Seems you need the EU to become a shadow enemy for your paranoia.
It will be interesting to see what enemy these fruitcakes invent to blame for Brexit consequences. The obvious convenient scapegoat for now is coronavirus. But that won't last forever. I reckon after conceeding to become Trump's bitch - out of desperation - the next enemy would have to be the USA.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 9:00 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Now look what you've gone and done. He's going to have to do that thing where he says "I voted remain for purely selfish reasons" all over again.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 9:03 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
It will be interesting to see what enemy these fruitcakes invent to blame for Brexit consequences. The obvious convenient scapegoat for now is coronavirus. But that won't last forever. I reckon after conceeding to become Trump's bitch - out of desperation - the next enemy would have to be the USA.
The Fruitcake Führers are quite chipper at the moment.

Here's a flavour : How the extreme Brexiteers have delivered the worst takes over the coronavirus
Old Mar 28th 2020, 9:27 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

Here's a flavour : How the extreme Brexiteers have delivered the worst takes over the coronavirus
I'd like to see how Batten will apologise if he's dead!! As for Hannan, a return to courtly politesse fits perfectly with this worldview of C18th international relations.

Calling them Fruitcakes is an insult to dried fruit.... you'll have Nutek after you!!
Old Mar 28th 2020, 2:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

We’ve had the surrealists, led by Daniel ‘Brain of Brexit’ Hannan, who told Telegraph readers “If coronavirus has one silver lining it should be the return of the bow and curtsy”. He elaborated: “A handshake can be an awkward thing – a clumsy, clammy grapple. But a woman breathes something of herself into her curtsy.

“She can make the gesture demure or haughty, coy or brazen… She can swish her skirts alluringly or bob coldly. The same is true, mutatis mutandis, for men. A bow allows you to convey precisely the degree of respect or affection you consider appropriate.”
Old Mar 28th 2020, 2:31 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

This could probably go in any one of many threads over the last 3 years....

Old Mar 28th 2020, 3:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
This could probably go in any one of many threads over the last 3 years....

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status...18004401586177
Not sure that the powers of reflection and introspection are exactly the strong points of some of those people...
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:51 pm
Resident Cynic

Is there any truth in the rumour that Raab has been seen clutching a Boris doll?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.