Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:05 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Just on the news, her Majesty puts her (?) money in offshore tax havens
In other news, after years of research the mystery of where bears go to the toilet has been solved and the startling secret of the Pope's religion revealed.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:30 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
In other news, after years of research the mystery of where bears go to the toilet has been solved and the startling secret of the Pope's religion revealed.
yep exactly right.

There is a difference between tax evasion (illegal) and tax avoidance (legal but morally repugnant). I think both are 100% wrong but I'll get off my high horse now.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people surprised ? With the top echelons of society its always been a case of 'do as I say-not as I do' The people are sheep to be herded and fleeced for their ability to produce the wealth.or put it this way..'cows to be milked for their hard earned cash.

What is it we have failed to understand about this --over millennia ?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:33 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Why are people surprised ? With the top echelons of society its always been a case of 'do as I say-not as I do' The people are sheep to be herded and fleeced for their ability to produce the wealth.or put it this way..'cows to be milked for their hard earned cash.

What is it we have failed to understand about this --over millennia ?
no idea it's not difficult and they are all at it the Queen, Cameron, the Benns, the Millibands, Ashcroft, Mandelson..........
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:39 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
no idea it's not difficult and they are all at it the Queen, Cameron, the Benns, the Millibands, Ashcroft, Mandelson..........
Don,t forget the Mays.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:52 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

I want lots of change particularly the elimination of the self styled political class by reforming the political system. Ultimately, I suspect we will both be disappointed.

God save the Queen
All we can agree on is the destruction of the elite cankerous classes.
I am a Leveller and my rank is Agitator. My heroes are John Lilburne, William Walwyn, Thomas Prince and Richard Overton.
I hold to The Agreement of the People & wear my sea-green band with pride.

Republic now.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:34 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between limiting tax liability within the law and avoiding tax. The Benns and the Millibands did the former - others may have done more.

With tax limitation, there is no problem using the provisions within the law to limit the tax payable. There IS a problem with avoiding tax by using other methods.

With offshore investments, there is nothing illegal about investing abroad - IF tax is paid when the investment is liquidated. The problem is that a lack of transparency allows such investments to be used to "hide" investments.

With the former, if there is a problem, the law can be changed to close loopholes. This may not be done as proactively as I'd like, but the solution exists.

With the latter, any tax havens not supplying full information to the tax domicile of a citizen should be blacklisted. Full stop.

The issue of non-doms, etc. could be minimised by each country implementing a similar policy to the USA, where citizenship implies tax domicile. No state should issue a passport unless proof of tax domicile is provided and available for access.

In all cases, transparency is the key.

Unfortunately, some of the available loopholes are only viable if a LOT of money is involved. So, like justice in the UK, such schemes are a privilege for the rich.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:35 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
I am a Leveller and my rank is Agitator. My heroes are John Lilburne, William Walwyn, Thomas Prince and Richard Overton.

Republic now.
So, can I have your car then?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:41 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Austerity means 1,182,954 emergency 3 day food rations issued by foodbanks in the last year while Tory donors continue to dodge paying VAT on their latest yacht.

We're all in this together after all.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:47 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Austerity means 1,182,954 emergency 3 day food rations issued by foodbanks in the last year while Tory donors continue to dodge paying VAT on their latest yacht.

We're all in this together after all.
I thought it was no longer allowable for someone in the HoL to be a nondom?
I also thought there were strict limits on non-UK funding for parties.

So, will we see a prosecution?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:48 am
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post

Republic now.
And you would deny women the vote?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:02 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I thought it was no longer allowable for someone in the HoL to be a nondom?
I also thought there were strict limits on non-UK funding for parties.

So, will we see a prosecution?
A sizeable donation to the Tory party from a small UK company set up in Southampton, subsidiary of a firm in the BVI via another company in Belize, wins a seat at the dinner table and the ear of Theresa May.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 1:08 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
There is a difference between limiting tax liability within the law and avoiding tax. The Benns and the Millibands did the former - others may have done more.

With tax limitation, there is no problem using the provisions within the law to limit the tax payable. There IS a problem with avoiding tax by using other methods.

With offshore investments, there is nothing illegal about investing abroad - IF tax is paid when the investment is liquidated. The problem is that a lack of transparency allows such investments to be used to "hide" investments.

With the former, if there is a problem, the law can be changed to close loopholes. This may not be done as proactively as I'd like, but the solution exists.

With the latter, any tax havens not supplying full information to the tax domicile of a citizen should be blacklisted. Full stop.

The issue of non-doms, etc. could be minimised by each country implementing a similar policy to the USA, where citizenship implies tax domicile. No state should issue a passport unless proof of tax domicile is provided and available for access.

In all cases, transparency is the key.

Unfortunately, some of the available loopholes are only viable if a LOT of money is involved. So, like justice in the UK, such schemes are a privilege for the rich.

Quite agree. There's far too much trying to draw false equivalents around the whole issue.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 1:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
And you would deny women the vote?
of course he would, a woman's place is in the home, preferably chained to the kitchen sink but with enough slack in the chain to allow her to cook his meals lol

Last edited by mikelincs; Nov 6th 2017 at 1:16 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 1:15 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
of course he would, a woman's place is in the home, preferably chained to the kitchen sink but with enough slack in the chain to allow her to cook his meals

And he once had the cheek to imply that I am a bit of a chauvinist!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.