Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
This is the report by Sue Gray as published today by the Government
https://assets.publishing.service.go...s_-_Update.pdf

I don't really think it needs too many comments, it's pretty damning of the mindset of Downing Street and the Government.
Here are some of the responses on Twitter...

Twitter

And here's one I found interesting
Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:40 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Boris says "This government has done things no one thought possible".

He's right.

I don't think anyone could have anticipated just how bad this government could be, and is.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
This is the report by Sue Gray as published today by the Government
https://assets.publishing.service.go...s_-_Update.pdf

I don't really think it needs too many comments, it's pretty damning of the mindset of Downing Street and the Government.

Tbh, on a quickish skim, that looks to me to be providing a get-out for Johnson by labelling all this stuff as management and leadership failures. Leading, no doubt, to one of Johnson's abject 'apologies' and throwing his staff under the bus.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Boris says "This government has done things no one thought possible".

He's right.

I don't think anyone could have anticipated just how bad this government could be, and is.

Prime Minister pledges Brexit Freedoms Bill to cut EU red tape

A new ‘Brexit Freedoms’ Bill will be brought forward by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, to mark the two-year anniversary of Getting Brexit Done.

Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Tbh, on a quickish skim, that looks to me to be providing a get-out for Johnson by labelling all this stuff as management and leadership failures. Leading, no doubt, to one of Johnson's abject 'apologies' and throwing his staff under the bus.
I agree....
Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:56 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Blackford strikes!
Old Jan 31st 2022, 3:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I agree. I presume that any damning commentary and/or evidence has been left out in view of the Police investigation.

If not, it is "economical" in its conclusions - Johnson will bluster, blame others and claim it absolves him of any wrongdoing.

Hopefully, his colleagues will disagree.... but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I could have sworn there was a Partygate thread.
Well I'll say this here instead then.
So, two things strike me.

Police investigating party in Boris and Carrie Johnson’s flat

This is one of the events that reached the threshold for criminal investigation. Mr and Mrs J have both denied anything taking place. I suppose it must have happened during that week they let it out via airbnb. "Nothing to do with is. I thought they looked a bit dodgy when we met them but with the people we mix with it's hard to tell."

The other thing is that Sue Gray is saying little on the 12 'dos' the police are looking at but will not comment on the four she's allowed to either.
I have decided not to publish factual accounts in relation to those four dates. I do not feel that I am able to do so without detriment to the overall balance of the findings.
Anyone got any thoughts on this? Are those events just so tame that to publish them might result in "fuss about nothing" reactions? Or maybe those 4 functions were attended only by minor players and it might then be thought that only minor players were ever involved.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 31st 2022 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I could have sworn there was a Partygate thread.
Well I'll say this here instead then.
So, two things strike me.

Police investigating party in Boris and Carrie Johnson’s flat

This is one of the events that reached the threshold for criminal investigation. Mr and Mrs J have both denied anything taking place. I suppose it must have happened during that week they let it out via airbnb. "Nothing to do with is. I thought they looked a bit dodgy when we met them but with the people we mix with it's hard to tell."

The other thing is that Sue Gray is saying little on the 12 'dos' the police are looking at but will not comment on the four she's allowed to either.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Are those events just so tame that to publish them might result in "fuss about nothing" reactions? Or maybe those 4 functions were attended only by minor players and it might then be thought that only minor players were ever involved.
Ahem.. Partygate - consider your verdict of "Not Guilty".
Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I agree. I presume that any damning commentary and/or evidence has been left out in view of the Police investigation.

If not, it is "economical" in its conclusions - Johnson will bluster, blame others and claim it absolves him of any wrongdoing.

Hopefully, his colleagues will disagree.... but I'm not holding my breath.

I thought there were good opposition speeches and also from Mrs May! The final question --- 'Are you here Prime Minister'? (Should there be a report to tell us?)
Old Jan 31st 2022, 5:51 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

In all of this, I grabbed the screen during Ian Blackford's spat.
Could that possibly be my local "representative", the Rt Hon Thérèse Coffey, MP, Secretary of State at the Department for Work and Pensions, slumped by his chair??

Very professional....... does this suggest she's "persona non grata" on the front bench now?
Old Jan 31st 2022, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

In all of this, I grabbed the screen during Ian Blackford's spat.
Could that possibly be my local "representative", the Rt Hon Thérèse Coffey, MP, Secretary of State at the Department for Work and Pensions, slumped by his chair??

Very professional....... does this suggest she's "persona non grata" on the front bench now?
Shes contemplating another benefit cut or how she can clock up another £100k of expenses
Old Jan 31st 2022, 6:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me of the Lectern scene in Police Academy and she doesn't realise she's not hidden from view.
Old Feb 1st 2022, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Nadine is loyal to the PM even when she is rambling. She has been loyal for 12 years apart from when she did "I'm a celebrity get me out of here".
Old Feb 1st 2022, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp, what you say is partly true..... but also partly false. The "fun, whimsical, clownish and full of summery bluster" Johnson was already a proven liar with no moral integrity whilst he was London Mayor.... He then proved himself to be a chaotic egotist who overrode advice to waste almost £1bn on vanity projects. The Tory party knew this, the Tory party condoned this when they gifted him a safe seat to advance his climb up the greasy pole and the Tory party knew it when he was supported to become leader.... there is no hiding place from the facts. His clownish image and his ruthless ambition suited them, but now the piper has to be paid.

Like the response to Covid, the evacuation from Afghanistan is another situation where the government imagineers are busy trying to turn a fiasco into a success by selectively rewriting history - and they are finding a population loathe to accept failure and happy to grasp any suggestion of success, despite the facts. Unfortunately, a growing number can see the misinformation for what it is - and the chief minister's inability to tell the truth, to admit fault or to apologise with any sincerity is what is adding fuel to the fire. This situation is now impacting policy - because they need to get past the past errors to concentrate on the new ones..... the "solution" to Social care, which does NOTHING to solve the crisis, because throwing money at a problem (and actually missing in this case) and forcing people to work in a sector at threat of poverty will "solve" nothing. "At least we are doing something!" say the apologists..... just like they "did something" to reform the NHS and "did something" to plan for transport and energy security..... God help us from those keen to be seen "doing something".

Johnson is a proven liar, an arrogant egotist and incompetent as a leader. The Tory fat controllers know this. All that is keeping him in place is the fact that there is no obvious replacement. For now.
I don't see how anything I said was false, but hey ho. I don't disagree with what you're saying, I was discussing it from the point of view of what the people may have been voting for in that persona. Fun loving and a bit different. I doubt many in the public gave a shit what lies or truths he told, just like even now I think there's still plenty who don't even pay attention to it, let alone have an opinion on it.

We must be mindful that the scorn and rage in these parts cannot possibly be reflected across the nation, which is why it'll just continue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.