Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tommy Robinson in the slammer

Tommy Robinson in the slammer

Old May 29th 2018, 8:59 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tommy Robinson in the slammer

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
He was sentenced a few days ago (my OP stating this fact was Friday), lifting of reporting restrictions are today (or is it yesterday yet?)
Sentenced today, on al, the UK news outlets.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:02 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Sentenced today, on al, the UK news outlets.
Then we can only assume that overseas news sources are possessed of the ability of fore-site, as they got the conviction length correct.

A specific source of your claim would be appreciated (given that it clearly seems to be incorrect, I am curious which sources are claiming this) The UK source I gave did not specify the date of sentencing just "His sentence can be revealed for the first time "

Last edited by kimilseung; May 29th 2018 at 9:07 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

The UK outlets that went along with the media ban. I love the internet!

British Government: Say, that's a nice Internet you've got there. Would be a shame if we didn't "regulate" it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8360081.html

For safety! Think of the chilruns.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:15 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! You get 'em, Kim!
Old May 29th 2018, 9:18 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
Yeah! You get 'em, Kim!
Nothing like a comment like that to make me think I must be on shaky ground.
I am concerned that I seem to be the only lefty that is concerned about an arrest, conviction and sentencing happening within hours and reporters banned from mentioning it, only being allowed to do so when its pointed out that the rest of the world already knows.
I am happy to see him locked away again.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:22 pm
Peace onion

'Cause you get it, Kim. You understand how the game is played. How the sausage is made.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:22 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

So - he has been imprisoned for self-admitted, repeated contempt of court - specifically acting in such a way that could have influenced the outcome of two separate trials - more specifically that could have compromised those trials thereby letting almost certain rapists off the hook.

Everybody happy with that?

Last edited by jimenato; May 29th 2018 at 9:25 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:25 pm
Peace onion

Let's just disappear people. How about some diesel therapy? Rendition? Enhanced interrogation?
Old May 29th 2018, 9:29 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
Let's just disappear people. How about some diesel therapy? Rendition? Enhanced interrogation?
Bars open in Denver?
Old May 29th 2018, 9:40 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I am concerned that I seem to be the only lefty that is concerned about an arrest, conviction and sentencing happening within hours and reporters banned from mentioning it, only being allowed to do so when its pointed out that the rest of the world already knows.
I've just read this, which claims
there has not, until today, been mainstream coverage of the case due to a reporting restriction – what is known as a “postponement order” – that forbade publication of these facts until after the conclusion of the trial (and subsequent related trial) upon which he was purporting to “report”.
And that the order was suspended due to the extensive international (and generally inaccurate) media reporting which, I understand, resulted in a bit of a protest about the whole thing.

Tommy Robinson
Old May 29th 2018, 9:46 pm
Fair and balanced

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
And that the order was suspended due to the extensive international (and generally inaccurate)
I think worth noting what was correct and what was not correct, looking at my OP statment
he was convicted and sentenced to 13 months, reporting restrictions applied: All correct
It happened within an hour: incorrect, it was 5 hours.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:27 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's not quite as bad as that. Speedy it certainly was, but because the entire episode was jeopardising the other trial.

"By Dominic Casciani, BBC home affairs correspondent
Contempt of court is the crime of ignoring the court and its constitutional role in making sure that justice is done.
Robinson was convicted of contempt for interfering with a trial in Canterbury.
His attempts to film defendants on that occasion could, the judge said, have "prejudiced" the jury, leading to an unfair verdict - and he was warned he'd go to jail if he did anything remotely similar again.
Why couldn't we initially report Robinson's arrest and jailing? Reporting restrictions are a long-standing part of the British legal system. In this case, the judge ordered a temporary media black-out because he feared reporting Robinson's conviction could influence the jury in the very case Robinson was targeting.
This is not some new form of censorship directed at Robinson. These are rules that apply to us all, equally. If he is unsure about that, he's now got time on his hands to read a copy of Essential Law for Journalists"

Ex-EDL leader Tommy Robinson jailed at Leeds court - BBC News

Trials without jury, and trials where justice cannot be seen to be done, I dislike intensely however. I though he had just broken the terms of his suspended sentence and so the sentence was immediately applied, but it seems he also got extra for the new contempt.
Old May 30th 2018, 6:13 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I think it's not quite as bad as that. Speedy it certainly was, but because the entire episode was jeopardising the other trial.

"By Dominic Casciani, BBC home affairs correspondent
Contempt of court is the crime of ignoring the court and its constitutional role in making sure that justice is done.
Robinson was convicted of contempt for interfering with a trial in Canterbury.
His attempts to film defendants on that occasion could, the judge said, have "prejudiced" the jury, leading to an unfair verdict - and he was warned he'd go to jail if he did anything remotely similar again.
Why couldn't we initially report Robinson's arrest and jailing? Reporting restrictions are a long-standing part of the British legal system. In this case, the judge ordered a temporary media black-out because he feared reporting Robinson's conviction could influence the jury in the very case Robinson was targeting.
This is not some new form of censorship directed at Robinson. These are rules that apply to us all, equally. If he is unsure about that, he's now got time on his hands to read a copy of Essential Law for Journalists"

Ex-EDL leader Tommy Robinson jailed at Leeds court - BBC News

Trials without jury, and trials where justice cannot be seen to be done, I dislike intensely however. I though he had just broken the terms of his suspended sentence and so the sentence was immediately applied, but it seems he also got extra for the new contempt.
Yes! There is still good in you.
Old May 30th 2018, 6:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of trials in the UK are not held in front of juries but are held in the magistrates courts.
In this case all that had to do was to enforce the judgment of an earlier court..
Justice was done as it would for anyone guilty of inciting racial hatred in the UK..
Old May 30th 2018, 7:19 pm
Peace onion

So glad I left that nanny state. It disgusts me how the subjects allowed this to happen. Well, they get what they deserve.

Police seek new powers, define youtube content as "terrorism".
Police vow clampdown on YouTube thugs glamorising violence | Daily Mail Online

Listening to Five Live the other day, all the reporters scolding some footballer about his tattoo of a scary M16 assault rifle.
Mind your own business. That's the thing; nobody can mind their own business. They're lecturing and virtue signalling and so condescending. Stop it!
According to these idiots, the footballer's father was "murdered by a gun". Not a person. One of those guns I keep tripping over "on the streets", as the Dems like to say.
These inanimate objects just leap action.

And, if you look at it, it's the UK that has a fetish over guns. They're obsessed with them. Look at these scary murder death guns on the table in front of the earnest, serious plod.
Look at the coverage of the Royal Wedding. Or Manchester. Photo after photo after photo after photo of police officers cradling MP5s, ARs, HK 416 etc to their chests. Serious bidness.
What a joke. Piers Morgan. Go away.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.