Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

A TIO Christmas

A TIO Christmas

Old Dec 28th 2021, 10:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I've told you...I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.

I've been a member since 03 I've paid in blood, sweat and tears. Or was that a band?
Old Dec 28th 2021, 10:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I've been a member since 03 I've paid in blood, sweat and tears. Or was that a band?
Does that cover the 30 minute argument or the full hour
Old Dec 28th 2021, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Fine by me. To me, it just makes sense to make a plan for the future, with specific points raised and shared decisions made on what to do about them. I'm interested in making BE better, not just in having another argument.
A poster making a statement and all agreeing in subsequent posts would be pleasant but might be boring?
People have different opinions about the same topic, leading to discussion, this is not necessarily wrong is it?
I would have thought that personal accusations and abuse including various negative emojis which are used for the same purpose are not the way for a 'conversation/'discussion'? Discuss the point in question not the 'poster'.

Old Dec 28th 2021, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be fair I don't think separating people into left and right wing is at all helpful. Your politics doesn't define you as a person, your behaviour does. I remember a Tory voter offering to pay for flight upgrades for a posters son, and to pay for flights for a mod. I also remember a vehemently left wing poster wishing another poster dead. If you want harmony, start looking beyond the cross on the ballot paper. If people can't make their point without sarcasm, and denigrating someone else's experience / point of view then they're part of the problem.

No decent person would disagree with racists etc being made short work of, but I get the feeling that after the uber racist was banned and it left a void which afew permanently offended posters needed filling. I was on the receiving end of a couple of attempts myself, which I found as childish as it was perplexing, but those are the sorts of people who turn forums to shit, not the ones with different points of view. Happy new year
Old Dec 28th 2021, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
To be fair I don't think separating people into left and right wing is at all helpful. Your politics doesn't define you as a person, your behaviour does. I remember a Tory voter offering to pay for flight upgrades for a posters son, and to pay for flights for a mod. I also remember a vehemently left wing poster wishing another poster dead. If you want harmony, start looking beyond the cross on the ballot paper. If people can't make their point without sarcasm, and denigrating someone else's experience / point of view then they're part of the problem.

No decent person would disagree with racists etc being made short work of, but I get the feeling that after the uber racist was banned and it left a void which afew permanently offended posters needed filling. I was on the receiving end of a couple of attempts myself, which I found as childish as it was perplexing, but those are the sorts of people who turn forums to shit, not the ones with different points of view. Happy new year
You and I have disagreed on at least a few things, but you also made some very good posts along the way.

May everyone's 2022 be btter than 2021..

Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
You and I have disagreed on at least a few things, but you also made some very good posts along the way.

May everyone's 2022 be btter than 2021..
absolutely, and because we're adults our disagreement on subject a, doesn't mean we now hate eachother and must disagree on subject b as a matter of principle.

I hope it's better but I'm not optimistic
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

absolutely, and because we're adults our disagreement on subject a, doesn't mean we now hate eachother and must disagree on subject b as a matter of principle.

I hope it's better but I'm not optimistic
Just don't finish this sentence....

It couldn't be much *****.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:51 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Good post. This is very much in line with my thoughts.

Taking the above as a baseline, surely having some guidelines in place that ensure some common decency, AND ENFORCING THEM, really shouldn't limit any reasonable discourse. Regardless of "which side" you are on. (Why is this even divided into sides?).

Let's not pretend that anyone reading this doesn't know what behaviors we are discussing here. It's pretty obvious.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Good post. This is very much in line with my thoughts.

Taking the above as a baseline, surely having some guidelines in place that ensure some common decency, AND ENFORCING THEM, really shouldn't limit any reasonable discourse. Regardless of "which side" you are on. (Why is this even divided into sides?).

Let's not pretend that anyone reading this doesn't know what behaviors we are discussing here. It's pretty obvious.
I would agree with this. After all, I have friends and relatives who vote Tory ().

And the guidelines apparently need to be a bit more explicit than those we have. And, I would expect posting members, not just mods, to help manage the whole thing. Mods alone can't possibly do it.

I also agree with another poster that TIO needs a redo. Maybe call it "Current affairs" or some such and not set it up as a place for a bar fight - bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Does that cover the 30 minute argument or the full hour
The full bloody hour, and a free one thrown in I should think, by now.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:58 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The full bloody hour, and a free one thrown in I should think, by now.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:59 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Never gets old.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:21 am

I'm also noticing that a couple of particular habitual TIO posters have absented themselves almost entirely from TIO since this particular discussion began.

Just saying.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:55 am
Account Closed

I'm also noticing that a couple of particular habitual TIO posters have absented themselves almost entirely from TIO since this particular discussion began.

Just saying.
I've got to be honest, I was half thinking I was one of the bad guys before I posted
Old Dec 29th 2021, 2:10 am

I've got to be honest, I was half thinking I was one of the bad guys before I posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.