Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

And they're off - Tory government out of the gates

And they're off - Tory government out of the gates

Old Jan 18th 2020, 5:21 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And they're off - Tory government out of the gates

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post

Admit it - you only read the headline didn't you???

Hint: It's always best to quote the relevant part from a linked article - then you would know that there was in fact something relevant.

For info - the stupid author of that piece doesn't give one instance of EU bullying.
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
So, you only read the headline, and had to find something else. From the telegraph, of course.
What else can you expect from DG. Next he'll be telling us Comrade Napoleon is always right.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 5:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
What else can you expect from DG. Next he'll be telling us Comrade Napoleon is always right.
No it was a genuine mistake but I wouldn't blame anybody for assuming otherwise.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
The "better outcome" is that Brexit could likely have been entirely avoided had those 10 countries not joined.
Galileo was evidently wrong. The world revolves around Britain!
Old Jan 18th 2020, 5:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
Galileo was evidently wrong. The world revolves around Britain!
More likely the EU was trying to have its cake and eat it too. Hopefully the EU cadre will follow Merkel's advice in the future before making any further massive mistakes.

https://www.ft.com/content/a6785028-...3-9a26f8c3cba4
Old Jan 18th 2020, 6:16 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

GMT. Center of the universe, you know.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 6:19 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
My bigger concern, if the UK had chosen to remain, would have been what happened to all of those Syrians and Afghans that Germany took in once Germany decides to start naturalizing them.
Oh, I don't know. Get jobs, raise families, contribute something to society... Invent something great.. Lots of possibilities. Given the chance.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 7:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have nothing against Brexit discussions and I still partake in them myself. But I believe this was supposed to be a thread about actions by the new government.

Granted this could include Brexit, but there are still Brexit threads that could be used for it, not least of which the one I began for that very purpose.

It would be nice to have the thread not swallowed up.

Anyone else think the Brexit posts could be moved to a Brexit thread leaving this one for general new government stuff?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:35 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I have nothing against Brexit discussions and I still partake in them myself. But I believe this was supposed to be a thread about actions by the new government.

Granted this could include Brexit, but there are still Brexit threads that could be used for it, not least of which the one I began for that very purpose.

It would be nice to have the thread not swallowed up.

Anyone else think the Brexit posts could be moved to a Brexit thread leaving this one for general new government stuff?

If my humble opinion as the thread starter is worth anything at all, then yes please, or at least just take the conversation to another thread. Not to mention obsessing over people immigrating to/living in/working in the UK. While I think leaving the EU is quite possibly the stupidest thing the UK has done in the last 50 years, this thread was supposed to be about the actions of the government from its reelection forward. While some of that will be to do with brexit negotiations/policy etc, arguing about whether brexit in itself is a good or bad thing can be a bit takeovery and it would be nice to keep it mostly to its own threads. The fact is that we now have to deal with a government headed up by a man with only the most passing acquaintance with integrity and he has surrounded himself with more of the same. Personally, I think we need to pay attention to what he's up to.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 19th 2020 at 1:38 am.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 10:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

House of Lords may move out of London to 'reconnect' with public
The government is considering moving the House of Lords outside London – potentially to York – as one of a range of options to “reconnect” politics with the public, the Conservative party chairman, James Cleverly, has confirmed.
Reconnect?

Old Jan 19th 2020, 11:00 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
If my humble opinion as the thread starter is worth anything at all, then yes please, or at least just take the conversation to another thread. Not to mention obsessing over people immigrating to/living in/working in the UK. While I think leaving the EU is quite possibly the stupidest thing the UK has done in the last 50 years, this thread was supposed to be about the actions of the government from its reelection forward. While some of that will be to do with brexit negotiations/policy etc, arguing about whether brexit in itself is a good or bad thing can be a bit takeovery and it would be nice to keep it mostly to its own threads. The fact is that we now have to deal with a government headed up by a man with only the most passing acquaintance with integrity and he has surrounded himself with more of the same. Personally, I think we need to pay attention to what he's up to.
It's all that's now left to them Lion. The bread & circus immigrant rants are duplicates of what now passes for government in the UK. As such, it keeps the (as yet) non-conditioned population from asking the fundamental questions, the answers to which this extreme right administration avoids.
The focus, imo, should be on their theft of EU Citizenship, the intended but undefined new Nationality laws linked to ethnicity. and intended withdrawal from the ECHR.
Set in this context, your thread appears to have been taken over by those dedicated to nationalism imo..
Old Jan 19th 2020, 11:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So, billions more for the move, a new building, extra expenses to be paid, new homes for the Lords wherever, I guess we are looking at £100 billion at the least, but WE CAN'T PAY FOR THE HOMELESS, NEW POLICE, NEW NURSES, NEW HOSPITALS. Johnson and his lot should be totally ashamed of themselves.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 11:39 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone needs to move out of London, it's the entire government.

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
So, billions more for the move, a new building, extra expenses to be paid, new homes for the Lords wherever, I guess we are looking at £100 billion at the least, but WE CAN'T PAY FOR THE HOMELESS, NEW POLICE, NEW NURSES, NEW HOSPITALS. Johnson and his lot should be totally ashamed of themselves.
And yet some Leavers complained about the EU having buildings in both Brussels and Strasbourg.... What happens to the Lords chamber if this goes ahead?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:17 pm
Oscar nominated

So, billions more for the move, a new building,
To be (slightly) fair, the Palace of Westminster has to be vacated for several years for restoration so they have to go somewhere in the meantime.

Would building somewhere new be cheaper? I have no idea, but maybe there's someone already that could be used.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If anyone needs to move out of London, it's the entire government.

And yet some Leavers complained about the EU having buildings in both Brussels and Strasbourg.... What happens to the Lords chamber if this goes ahead?
Use it to home the homeless.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Use it to home the homeless.
Only if there are on-site support services, and only until purpose-built accomodation replaces it. But anywhere should be a max 12-month placement to help the homeless get the help they need, not as a new permanent home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.