Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

And they're off - Tory government out of the gates

And they're off - Tory government out of the gates

Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:02 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And they're off - Tory government out of the gates

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
This basically. He could have even said, the UK is obviously welcome to reapply post-Brexit and that the EU would be open to discussing it but unfortunately he didn't say anything like that.
In fairness to Verhofstadt, and politicians generally, like anyone else in the public eye their statements (often given off the cuff and unprepared) are going to be scrutinised and come in for criticism regardless; but you avoid far more connotations and accusations by refusing to give an opinion than you do by expressing a view one way or another.

It's much harder for opponents, or indeed anyone, to exploit somebody's words, the less they've said. Verhofstadt's problem is the same one that afflicts Boris Johnson in that they're both unashamed jingoistic bombasts - one for the UK and the other for the EU - and neither of them can keep their gobs shut.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:02 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I largely agree with you however in its current form the EU is in a state of economic and social turmoil.

I don't expect the EU to still offer all of its membership to the UK after 01/01/2021. In fact I think it's only fair that we lose them since we won't be paying into the EU budget anymore. In truth all of this could have been easily avoided if the EU hadn't pursued it's short-minded federalist and expansionist ambitions. Nobody was really complaining about EU immigration to Britain back when Portugal was the poorest country in the Union.
Not really. In comparison to 2009-2012, the EU is actually doing well.

Unfortunately, the same can't really be said for the UK at the moment. One of the weakest economies and most politically and socially divided in the western world. And the prognosis is looking even worse. Loss of its largest trading market, declining inward investment, trillions in assets being repatriated elsewhere (particularly to the EU), loss of frictionless trade not only with the EU, but the other 40 or so global trade agreements it will lose in the process, taking years, even decades to halfway recover.

So, maybe you still see the EU as a hopeless descent into the abyss (or are told that in the English press), but it might be worth looking around you before throwing that stone.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:07 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Well , If I don't speak for anyone else but do give an opinion I leave it to you to figure out for whom do I speak!! C'mon now, thinking cap on!! That's just a saying by the way should you now go searching for a cap!!!!!
Ah!!! Opinion; - in which case, you might want to consider using the normal protocol "In my opinion" (IMO) more. It's helpful to we underlings & others - even allowing for someone with 260 posts. As I'm out of here 31/01 I'll decline your cap invitation though - IMO.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:09 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Perhaps he was simply telling the truth rather than being 'smart and diplomatic'.
Well unless he's developed the ability to accurately predict the future, there cannot yet be any truth on the question he was asked.

As I said, he's going to cop some flak whatever he comes out with; but stating a partial opinion is always going to generate more controversy than simply keeping schtum.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:12 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

In what sense has the EU tried to bully the UK into submission?
I've never been able to grasp that rationale. Yes, of course, there isn't one bit of evidence to support it, but that's true of most brexit rationales.

Yet history shows quite irrefutably that England expected the impossible and when it didn't get it, it blamed the EU for not giving it to them.

Ironically, after Brexit is "done" (which could be a very long time), England won't have that scapegoat any longer. So who will they blame the humiliation on then?
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Ironically, after Brexit is "done" (which could be a very long time), England won't have that scapegoat any longer. So who will they blame the humiliation on then?
We could always follow the example set by Ireland, which continues to play the victim of Great Britain, despite being independent for 100 years or so.

The EU, especially as it remains the UK's biggest partner and is right on our doorstep, will still be a handy whipping boy for a long time to come.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:22 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. In comparison to 2009-2012, the EU is actually doing well.
Unfortunately, the same can't really be said for the UK at the moment. One of the weakest economies and most politically and socially divided in the western world. And the prognosis is looking even worse. Loss of its largest trading market, declining inward investment, trillions in assets being repatriated elsewhere (particularly to the EU), loss of frictionless trade not only with the EU, but the other 40 or so global trade agreements it will lose in the process, taking years, even decades to halfway recover.
So, maybe you still see the EU as a hopeless descent into the abyss (or are told that in the English press), but it might be worth looking around you before throwing that stone.
As Mr Javid has let slip the mask this morning, it may well be as you say ami. In this case though, business can't say they weren't warned. They were warned by all of the main commercial federations - CBI, FSB, IOD; - even the Bank of England. And which of us can forget that famous Bastard Tory Policy Statement "F*** Business"?
UK concerns, now have two - or possibly three, options, imo
1. Relocate to Calais-Nord/ Eire, or similar where there is a business friendly environment, an educated multi-lingual workforce/s, and first class infrastructure.
2. Close down their UK operations or wait to be strangled by the new regulatory environment, PLUS higher taxes, as strongly hinted by Mr Javid.
3. Become members of the royal family, and become visiting part-time working commuters (not for everyone, but there's always space on the gravy train)
Other than the above, this morning, the no self-respecting business is going to relocate into the UK - not unless they've complete fools for financiers or Russian mafia, or Mob, or drug cartel money behind them.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:02 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Admit it - you only read the headline didn't you???

Hint: It's always best to quote the relevant part from a linked article - then you would know that there was in fact something relevant.

For info - the stupid author of that piece doesn't give one instance of EU bullying.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Admit it - you only read the headline didn't you???

Hint: It's always best to quote the relevant part from a linked article - then you would know that there was in fact something relevant.

For info - the stupid author of that piece doesn't give one instance of EU bullying.
No I actually read it. Did you? If you did then I suggest having another go since you clearly didn't read it properly.

EDIT: Sorry I've just realised that I pasted the wrong article link in earlier. I actually meant to include this one. Sorry about that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-prove-brexit/

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 18th 2020 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:49 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Well, what's actually transpired is that England demanded to have the whole cake with golden frosting and a lifetime supply of Moet. Predictably, the EU said no.

So, England resorted to threats and bullying. We'll go with no deal. We won't pay what we owe you. Predictably, the EU again said no.

So, having been humiliated by reality, England then had to capitulate, simultaneously accusing the EU of threats and bullying. And unsurprisingly, that very hypocrisy has been a common tactic throughout the entire exercise.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 18th 2020 at 1:58 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:53 pm
Reasonable Bitch

No I actually read it. Did you? If you did then I suggest having another go since you clearly didn't read it properly.

EDIT: Sorry I've just realised that I pasted the wrong article link in earlier. I actually meant to include this one. Sorry about that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-prove-brexit/
So, you only read the headline, and had to find something else. From the telegraph, of course.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 2:41 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

So, you only read the headline, and had to find something else. From the telegraph, of course.
...quite.

I don't subscribe to The Telegraph so I can't read much of it. But the bit I can read looks to me like the EU not giving in to UK demands and applying club rules - a club we are leaving - hardly bullying.

Anyway how can the EU bully us? After all they need us more than we need them - we are going to get the exact same deal - and all that other crap.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 2:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

the whole cake with golden frosting and a lifetime supply of Moet.

We could always project that onto the front of #10, no? I mean, that's all that's needed right?
Old Jan 18th 2020, 3:51 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Just need to "believe"
Old Jan 18th 2020, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
As I'm out of here 31/01 I'll decline your cap invitation though - IMO.
Drama Queen!

Just the latest in a long and venerable line of BE flounces however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.