Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Terror incidents in London....

Terror incidents in London....

Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:22 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror incidents in London....

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Until recent history they shared a border. Before and since they have had political relationship.
(I was answering a poster who was doubtful that they could influence each other.)
When did the state of India share a border with Afghanistan?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
It appears that the 'British Indian Empire' shared a border with Afghanistan. So not 'the state of India'. So you're right. So what?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

You were questioning the capability of influence in Afghanistan, I pointed out there had always had been and still is close political association.
During the thousands of years of India (Bharat) history they shared a border.
70 years ago there was Partition of part of 'British India'.

This is off topic--start a new thread if you want.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

You were questioning the capability of influence in Afghanistan, I pointed out there had always had been and still is close political association.
During the thousands of years of India (Bharat) history they shared a border.
70 years ago there was Partition of part of 'British India'.

This is off topic--start a new thread if you want.
There you go again "thousands of years ago "

It's the 21st century ,harking back to ancient times has no relevance to today.
British India was not the State of India.
It's no surprise that India has problems with its neighbours .
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea if new arrivals to the UK were to be obliged to attend citizenship classes for a few months with the aim of orientating them into the laws, customs and ways of their new country.

As for those born in the UK I'm puzzled as to why attending British schools and mixing with the non-Muslims doesn't work better in assimilating them or do Muslim kids mostly attend Muslim schools?
Most Muslims mix in the ordinary way.
In some areas where there is a high proprtion of Muslims living in one area there are 'Muslim' faith schools, just as there are Catholic, Cof E and Jewish faith schools.
There was recent controversy about some Muslim faith schools in Birmingham not giving equality to girls, (Muslim mothers also complained about it).
Old Jun 8th 2017, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There you go again "thousands of years ago "

It's the 21st century ,harking back to ancient times has no relevance to today.
British India was not the State of India.
It's no surprise that India has problems with its neighbours .
The border was there until 70 years ago.
What surprise? The 'State' of Kashmir itself legally acceded.

Election last year 70% voted for the status quo. Approx 10% want to join neighbour, 10% independence, 10% more separation of powers.
Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti is not a member of the Government party.
If you knew about the State economy you would know why there was this result.

Off topic
So back to Brexit, if 70% had voted for status quo, how much easier it would have been for the EU, and I don't think the leavers would have started shooting the remainers would they??
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:10 am
EMR
Banned

Election last year 70% voted for the status quo. Approx 10% want to join neighbour, 10% independence, 10% more separation of powers.

Off topic
So back to Brexit, if 70% had voted for status quo, how much easier it would have been for the EU, and I don't think the leavers would have started shooting the remainers would they??
The border was with what was called British India a collection of old feudal states.
I prefer the official history of events in Kashmir to yours.
Source BBC.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The border was with what was called British India a collection of old feudal states.
I prefer the official history of events in Kashmir to yours.
Source BBC.

The border was with Bharat.
The point in this discussion is that there was and still is continued political relationship with Afghanistan.

In the fight against Global terrorism the confirmed co-operation between India, the UK and EU countries is very important in sharing information, security etc.

(Start a new thread and explain how the BBC version of events in Kashmir differs from mine, you don't believe the results of the election? You don't approve the Chief Minister?)
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:54 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic

This is the Terror threat though
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:21 am
EU and me, happy together

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be a bad idea if new arrivals to the UK were to be obliged to attend citizenship classes for a few months with the aim of orientating them into the laws, customs and ways of their new country.

As for those born in the UK I'm puzzled as to why attending British schools and mixing with the non-Muslims doesn't work better in assimilating them or do Muslim kids mostly attend Muslim schools?
It would be a good idea if those things were also taught to British kids as well.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:38 am
EMR
Banned

The border was with Bharat.
The point in this discussion is that there was and still is continued political relationship with Afghanistan.

In the fight against Global terrorism the confirmed co-operation between India, the UK and EU countries is very important in sharing information, security etc.

(Start a new thread and explain how the BBC version of events in Kashmir differs from mine, you don't believe the results of the election? You don't approve the Chief Minister?)
You mean the elections in the old independent kingdom in the thirties which gave the muslim party an overwhelming majority.You should really get your history right.
Terrorism where ever it happens often has its roots in feelings that democracy has been ignored.
That the wishes of the majority have been sacrificed.
It is not always about extremists holding jihadi views.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:00 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with you about a requirement to attend instructional classes - it could be made part of the residency process - oh, but hold on - that would cost money and you'd actually need to have a residency process first.....

A little less "austerity" in this area might bear fruit. I also think basic English should be taught, in order to provide people with the tools to integrate (the women who remain behind closed doors and within their own community). This is encouragement, rather than persecution. I do NOT think that people should be discouraged by providing translations of everything .... what is needed is to replace the cost of this by providing community advisors who can talk through issues (and ensure people are not penalized) but still provide information through English. Nothing encourages the learning of a language better than need.

As has been said, some kids go to religious schools - but all kids note the difference between them and their peers and, just as in the wider world, they will group together and construct barriers. Other ethnic groups have similar issues - it's just that they aren't in focus at present.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You mean the elections in the old independent kingdom in the thirties which gave the muslim party an overwhelming majority.You should really get your history right.
Terrorism where ever it happens often has its roots in feelings that democracy has been ignored.
That the wishes of the majority have been sacrificed.
It is not always about extremists holding jihadi views.
No--the election last year, April 2016 when the CM was elected.

(It has been Muslim majority since the Mughal invasion in 1526--how far back do you want to go?
As I said if you want to discuss history start a new thread.)
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I don't disagree with you about a requirement to attend instructional classes - it could be made part of the residency process - oh, but hold on - that would cost money and you'd actually need to have a residency process first.....

A little less "austerity" in this area might bear fruit. I also think basic English should be taught, in order to provide people with the tools to integrate (the women who remain behind closed doors and within their own community). This is encouragement, rather than persecution. I do NOT think that people should be discouraged by providing translations of everything .... what is needed is to replace the cost of this by providing community advisors who can talk through issues (and ensure people are not penalized) but still provide information through English. Nothing encourages the learning of a language better than need.

As has been said, some kids go to religious schools - but all kids note the difference between them and their peers and, just as in the wider world, they will group together and construct barriers. Other ethnic groups have similar issues - it's just that they aren't in focus at present.
Language classs are available, would forcing women to go be helpful?
As I said those that refuse to mix are a minority. Also in poor families those elderly women who come with their families and do not know English are often too shy to go to classes.

Many of those that become jihadists that we are worried about here, come from perfectly ordinary integrated families.
"We need to talk about Kevin"--situation!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:30 am
EMR
Banned

No--the election last year, April 2016 when the CM was elected.

(It has been Muslim majority since the Mughal invasion in 1526--how far back do you want to go?
As I said if you want to discuss history start a new thread.)
The years before the division caused by the Indian pressure on the Mararajah to ignore the views of the majority population .
You really should know your history.
You can find an step by step analysis on Wikileaks, even if you do accept 100% of it.
The decision that started the road towards , incursions, war and terrorism.
The Jihadis need a cause to get recruits and events such as Kashmir ,the enmity between India and Pakistan provide them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.